www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2008

TDIFest 2008 Discussion about TDIFest 2008 that was held in Mason, OH on the Labour Day weekend (August 29th - August 31st, 2008) .

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:57   #61
dabear95
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45+ lifetime

Very nice, I am thinking of making a week out of it with my wife.

King's Island
Cincy Zoo
Jeff Ruby's (dry aged beef in house)
Oh yeah, and my first fest

Jason
Old November 16th, 2007, 14:54   #62
RichC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 / 43 / 39

Oh this is going to be fun. First ... hats off to Bruce (Paramedick) in keeping the rest of us moving forward; your job has just begun! We've got a great group of volunteers to help make the TDIFest OH-8 a good one. For a great number of you the location should be drive-able and if you plan early it could be a really nice weekend for the family.

Besides the 'pay for Kings Island, Beach Waterpark, and a 12 screen Showcase Cinemas within walking distance of the host hotel, there are a few other items for the family you might want to consider around Cincinnati. I"ll suggest a couple: Labor Day weekend is also Riverfest weekend in Cincinnati -- the fireworks are fantastic; good enough to draw 500,000 people every year. (personal links) You might want to consider using that as leverage with your significant other? (besides its a frugal TDI-er FREE activity)
Another great idea would be the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton ... just a short drive north. I'm sensing that GMark wants to coordinate a convoy up there so stay tuned if that interests you. If you've not visited that with your family ... its well worth the price of admission. (Hint - Free)

As for the TDIFest OH-8 itself ... here's wetting your appetite: Socialization should be easy as there are several areas of the conference hotel that include sitting areas perfect for small and larger groups. We'll have a tech sessions on Saturday morning, the host of TDIFest vendors in a private parking lot, a Show 'n' Shine and the "what's new" at VWoA including a Dieselution Tour stop. (no promises but it is in the works -- after my first conversation to VWoA they were very receptive) Our Ohio TDI rally racing celebrity Jon Hamilton (RallyVW) is working on a surprise that should be a fun too, so be sure to have your navigation and driving skills sharpened up. Hopefully this is enough to get you to mark the calendar as this is one TDIFest not to miss.

Oh ... and those chomping at the bit to part with money and register ... hang on ... it's only been a day!
Old November 16th, 2007, 15:58   #63
mycruiseagent

Fuel Economy: 56.4/45.1/36.0

Great job guys. We usually take an annual pilgrimage to Cincinnati right after the kids get out of school. My in-laws live in Covington (and my FIL has an 03 Jetta that some of you may have had the opportunity to work on) - we will be delaying that trip to the other end of summer this year.

My kids are kinda small to justify the Kings Island admission price but we go to Coney Island all the time - might be a side trip for younger kids that could get thrown into the mix.

Mark

Drill-less EGT probe solution
mycruiseagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 15:59   #64
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Ohhh, are we having a road rally type event like the WI fest? That would be COOL.

-Jason
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 16:11   #65
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Any IL peeps convoy planned?
Old November 16th, 2007, 16:52   #66
savd4one
Veteran Member

any music buffs wanna make the trek to the Rock & Roll Fall of Fame and Museum? it's only 227 miles & 3.5 hrs away...it's a trip made for TDIs

savd4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 16:56   #67
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

If I still have my TDI next year, yes I would make that drive.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 17:13   #68
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm
If I still have my TDI next year, yes I would make that drive.
I'm looking for ideas to avoid the maelstrom that would be the Twin Cities right after the Fest.
Old November 16th, 2007, 17:18   #69
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by validius
Not driving 12 hours to get to TDIFest: FTMFW
"FTMFW", what's that? Friday To Monday: Full Week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkscout
burpod and I volunteer to staff the bar.
Just don't bar the event staff...

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 17:18   #70
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Bob-I'll be heading down that way as I always go back for Riverfest every year. Chances are damned near every one on the road will pass me as I do a relaxed 60 MPH or so. this is my one chance a year to get some real good fuel economy numbers as I normally drive city miles in Chicago.
And you have no idea how many cops there are on that weekend until you see guys on the back of tractors in work zones with radar guns, andd cars with the hood up and there's a trooper crouched under there with a radar gun.
Old November 16th, 2007, 17:21   #71
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Bob-I'll be heading down that way as I always go back for Riverfest every year. Chances are damned near every one on the road will pass me as I do a relaxed 60 MPH or so. this is my one chance a year to get some real good fuel economy numbers as I normally drive city miles in Chicago.
And you have no idea how many cops there are on that weekend until you see guys on the back of tractors in work zones with radar guns, andd cars with the hood up and there's a trooper crouched under there with a radar gun.
Where do they do THAT?
Old November 16th, 2007, 17:55   #72
darkscout
Grammar Scout

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
Any IL peeps convoy planned?
I may take that opportunity to visit the Piano Man in Lafayette Thursday night and when I [strike]sober[/strike] wake up Friday I'll be heading through Indy. I figure we could do a convoy from Indy.

Indy's going to have quite a few TDIs passing through. If you look at a map anyone North West of a line going between Cinci and El Paso, TX is going to be passing through Indy.

Map 1

Map 2

None of Michigan, but any place west of South Bend will be going through. Including the Chicago crowd and any of those 'don't ya know' states.

Sounds like a rally point to me.
Old November 16th, 2007, 19:27   #73
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

They do it on the Tri State and on 80 going to 65 South. If you see a consruction worker that weekend-he's a cop with a radar gun. I saw a lot of them.
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:06   #74
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Yeah-when is last time you've seen a road construction worker on weekend??That is pretty sneaky-I'm surprised I haven't seen that yet around here.I still need to do mapquest to see how many miles to the fest...
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:25   #75
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

My whole trip back from FL to IL I saw road construction on the weekend.