www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 19th, 2007, 21:57   #1
tonywong

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Default where to get motor mounts?

Although clutch and flywheels threads are always up but there isnt much information about motor mounts. One of the clutch threads had somebody recommending that you replace the motor mount when u change the clutch and flywheel. Are motor mounts just bolts or an expensive part? Because i looked into it at ECStuning site and there is this complete engine mount package for like $500+. So school me on motor mounts and if you could post a website where to get descent mounts that would be great. Thank you.
tonywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 00:13   #2
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

all you would need to do is have the motor mount bolts that would be removed replaced not the mount itself.

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:46   #3
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

If you have over 200,000 miles then replacing may be a good idea, Each mount (2 required) is around $100.00 at the dealer.

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:55   #4
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/germ...nt_281300.html

$60.00 Engine side

$40.00 for the transmission side (manual)

DB
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:56   #5
cage
Veteran Member

Depending on the age of your car... They are just rubber bushings which do harden and crack with time.

While they won't hurt to reuse you will notice less engine noise inside the car with new ones.
cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:56   #6
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire
If you have over 200,000 miles then replacing may be a good idea, Each mount (2 required) is around $100.00 at the dealer.

DB
Could you expand on this? Are you talking about the top part of the pendulum mounts that suspend the engine/transmission ? What about the lower part of those mounts (brackets) that bolt onto the engine (They can get their threads stripped after a while...) ? Ditto for the lower rear mount... Are these all to be renewed on high-milage vehicles ??

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:04   #7
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

The upper mounts have rubber supports, time will cause them to sag and not absorb vibration...common sense says to replace after awhile.

The lower side mount can be re-used several times. As long as bolts aren't re-used, over-torqued and you use NEW OEM BOLTS that have the thread protection coatings I see no reason why the mount can't last 5+ timing belt changes.

DB
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:27   #8
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire
The upper mounts have rubber supports, time will cause them to sag and not absorb vibration...common sense says to replace after awhile.
...sigh... I guess on my next timing belt change (oh... about 14 months away... should be up to 286,000 miles by then) I may as well replace the mounts... and the cam followers... and...

Thanks,

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 18:39   #9
tonywong

another forum told me to buy Dogbone motor mounts which only cost $40, not $100 mounts. so which one is it?
Old February 20th, 2007, 18:46   #10
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

I saw that post on the dov definatly take the advice from drivbiwire before anything from there. They are saying install the poly bushings which from what I have read are not a good idea on the tdi as the transmit to much vibration.

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 19:18   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I am starting to think that replacing the mounts after 150-200K might be a good idea. I can't imagine that any of the rubber parts of the car should be expected to perform at their best after this much time. I'm going to renew my mounts at my next TB change (scheduled for 180K).

Having said this, if it ain't broke....
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:24   #12
tonywong

yea i surf the DOV site a lot but OF COURSE i'm gonna listen to the ppl here because u all drive diesels like i do. most local ppl here in Vancouver drive 1.8T.