www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 7th, 2006, 00:35   #1
jaca
Veteran Member

Default Coolant Flush

Have to do complete cooling system flush.
has anybody know what is best way of doing it ,which hose to open and maby by using garden hose flush whole engine.I do not know if this will work with thermostat...any help aprecciated
jaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 00:41   #2
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

curious as to why it's needed to be done? someone put non g12 in there? if so a full flush would be needed to make sure all remaining fluid it out and a proper mix of g12 added, some say as high as 70 30 mix or 50 50 as stated on the bottle. All that's really stated in the bently is a drain on the left hand lower side of the radiator and also removing the coolant line from the lower part of the oil cooler.

But if it's just reg g 12 already in it should be ok till you do a tb change and water pump.

Yuri is in your area along with a bunk like Nigel (wingnut) and may other forum members that would be of better assistance than me.

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:07   #3
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Pull the coolant plug on the radiator. Pull out and twist. Take the lower radiator hose off the oil cooler under the oil filter. That will drain most of it. I'd recemend not flushing with municiple water unless you can test it and it's under 10ppm sediment. If not, fill with distilled water, run the car, drain, repeat a few times. Let it get hot enough to cycle the fan at least once.
Old April 7th, 2006, 21:29   #4
jaca
Veteran Member

Default Thnks

Thank You Guys for help. Yes I have to flush whole system ,i just bought this tdi and has green coolant.
jaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 22:35   #5
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

ah yes then follow Jason's advice would be a good idea to do it a couple times with just reg water to make sure all is flushed out

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:50   #6
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Does anyone have a recommedation to remove oil from the coolant? I had a blown head gasket in my ecodiesel. I tried to flush the system with distilled water, but there is still oil residue in there. Thanks for any suggestions.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:03   #7
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Solution of Simple green and water. I suggest using a 20% ratio, run the motor for a bit then flush with a garden hose for 10 minutes.

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:07   #8
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Thanks DB- I'll give that a try.
I did use simple green to try to clean out the reservoir. I used it at 100% strength and let it sit, then agitated, repeat. It didn't clean the walls of the reservoir, but I did get a lot of crud out. I finally put a little bit of Power Service in there and it took out the oily residue PRONTO! I rinsed it really well before putting it back in the car.

I'm hesitant to try this extreme measure on the rest of the engine. Any thoughts?
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote