www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old June 5th, 2009, 20:26   #31
sundancekid

For those looking for VW 505.00, 505.01, 502.00, 504.00, 507.00 Synthetic Oil I found a brand which is VW approved. You can buy manufacturer direct from Total.

Total Quartz Ineo 5W30MC3 - Minimum purchase quantities of either 3, 5 Litre jugs or 18, 1 Litre bottles. Pricing is about $8.21/L. This works out to be $147.48 (+ tax) for the 1L bottles or $123.15 (+tax) for the three 5L jugs.

As noted in the document below, this oil is approved by VW for TDI engines.
http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/vw_oil_dec_2007.pdf - VW Service Bulletin (Circular) VWA-07-27

For those in Toronto or Greater Toronto Area use this contact info to buy the oil.

Total Lubricants
1750 Plummer St. Unit 16
Pickering, ON.
L1W 3L7

Phone:
647-239-9569

(1st south of 401 off Brock Bd.)

If you are not in the Toronto area you can call the Canadian office located in Quebec, their staff seem to be friendly and they will tell you the closest location to buy the oil and help you select the grade appropriate for your vehicle. Phone: Total Canada 1-800-463-3955 or visit the USA website here: Total Canada - http://www.total-lubrifiants.ca Total USA - http://www.total-us.com

Candian Office

Address: 220, LaFleur
Lasalle, QC,
H8R 4C9
Phone: 514-595-7579
Fax: 514-367-5767

I hope this helps other TDI owners I know I had a hell'uva time locating a 505 spec oil due to limited availability of some USA only brands.

By sdk2008 at 2009-06-05
sundancekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 17:55   #32
trooper

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Anyone heard of Amin @ Salims Auto repair?
They seem to work on TDI's and sell some too in downtown Toronto.
I'm new to the forum, and may not know much about TDI's yet, but I was just there the other day ( Queen st. location( father ), not the Eastern ave ( son) location),and the old guy insisted that my black smoke issue was the injection pump. Everyone else on this forum is telling me that it's a tune-up issue.
He told me that rebuilding the pump was $600 and a brand new Bosch was $800. plus $200 install. I was thinking that the price was a bit too good, as the quotes I was getting were over $700 for a rebuilt, and a new one not even available.
Again, I'm a newbie, so I may be completely wrong, but when the answers come without even opening the hood, and the prices seen too good to be true...well, you decide.
BTW seems to be a tune-up issue.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:28   #33
trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper
I'm new to the forum, and may not know much about TDI's yet, but I was just there the other day ( Queen st. location( father ), not the Eastern ave ( son) location),and the old guy insisted that my black smoke issue was the injection pump. Everyone else on this forum is telling me that it's a tune-up issue.
He told me that rebuilding the pump was $600 and a brand new Bosch was $800. plus $200 install. I was thinking that the price was a bit too good, as the quotes I was getting were over $700 for a rebuilt, and a new one not even available.
Again, I'm a newbie, so I may be completely wrong, but when the answers come without even opening the hood, and the prices seen too good to be true...well, you decide.
BTW seems to be a tune-up issue.
Just went to see Amin on Eastern, and he was much better that his father. I'd go see him again.
Old August 19th, 2009, 22:42   #34
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Amin is a good guy, really knows these cars in & out. We actually bought a gas 2 litre jetta from him. Gave us a 2 year power train warranty and a 30 bumper to bumper warranty and so far, the car is impeccable !
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 14:41   #35
Zozep

TDI(s): 2000 01M

Please keep in mind this is my personal opinion.

Peter Lang
RAM auto
240 Brock St
Peterborough, ON K9H 2P7
(705) 748-5291

I've been living in Ptbo for several years and dealt with the few VW shops around, definately steer clear of Schnell's...the guy is a hack.
As for Ram...these guys take the work that other shops don't want. They know their imports and get the job done right the first time.

Last edited by Zozep; October 5th, 2009 at 14:45.
Zozep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 23:19   #36
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

thanks for the list guys !
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 20:14   #37
MoldovaDIZEL

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississauga-Dude
The Audi VW Shop and Parts (1160 Crestlawn Drive, Unit 8, 905.624.9007, mississauga --near eglinton/dixie). One-mechanic/owner, $70/hour. Fair diagnostics, knows repair very well, explains and doesn't mind showing procedure, only recommends what's necessary.
Great work, they own about 4 mk3 td's at the moment , 1 passat td (for sale), 1 audi 5000 5cyl td, one mk4 tdi for parts.

Very good service.
MoldovaDIZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:43   #38
BigBadThor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDUB TECH
anyone need repairs give me a shout i work at vdub dealer in toronto cheap rates fix it the first time........
This is Brandon, and he's now got his own shop in the 400/Finch area. I'm surprised no one has listed him on here yet. Very highly regarded in this forum, and my (limited) dealings with him have been great. He did a pre-purchase inspection on my Golf, and its first "catch-up" maintenance for a very reasonable rate and with every item explained and all questions (no matter how noobish) answered. Plus, he gives you a loaner.

Here's his info:

DCB Auto Repairs-Volkswagen-Audi
141 Oakdale Rd
North York, ON M3N 1W2
(416) 747-0400

BigBadThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 16:55   #39
waguy01

TDI(s): Golf

Found Brandon at DCB on this site. Had my TB done by him yesterday. Very satisfied with his work and how knowledgeable he is. I'll be back...

Last edited by waguy01; March 12th, 2010 at 18:14.
waguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 20:21   #40
woofster

TDI(s): TDI

Great thread! I was just thinking about service shops that know not only how to work on diesel engines, but ones that are familiar with VWs as well.

It'd be great if more GTA TDI'ers can chime in, mention which shop they bring their TDI to and any more comments that they can share. It would be a great service to all of us new to the TDI world!

woofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 13:21   #41
TOCleanDieselWag

Default Repair garage suggestion near downtown Toronto

Our '02 TDI is starting to develop a bit of a wobble felt through the steering wheel and the seat on hard acceleration. I'm thinking that at close to 160k kms we're probably getting close to having CV joint replacement in our future.

We've always had the car serviced at Don Valley VW, but think maybe it's a good time given the age of the car to go elsewhere.

I've read the reviews and suggestions posted here, but not sure if they are still current.

Would the concensus be to avoid Peter's VW?

Any other good garages that could be trusted for this type of repair?

Thanks!

Stratford & Toronto, Ontario
TOCleanDieselWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:45   #42
Joe Gabura

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: 5.4L/100km city/highway

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced OBD fault code scanner.
Joe Gabura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:30   #43
momin

Default how to find a tdi

Hi, this is my first post, been visiting the forum for sometime. Thinking of buying a tdi but after reading the posts, my understanding is, cars without maintenance history can be dangerous! and to get them check by someone like Brandon.
Any advices on how to find the right tdi for the right price will be appreciated.
momin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:22   #44
trooper

Post Misc.

Still highly recommend Amin@salim's auto repair on Eastern ave. I've been taking my jetta tdi and Benz e300 turbo diesel to him for a while now, and the only issue is that he is usually really busy... But that unto itself is a good thing.
As for the obd2 code reader, try Princess Auto. You can usually get one for under a hundred bucks and 50 bones when on sale.
As for what to look for in a car, take it to someone that knows a thing or two about the car you're interested in... Especially a tdi.
The blocks seem bulletproof , but turbo's, IP's, suspension and driveline issues can cost a lot.
And lift the cars and check the rockers and floor for rot.
A.J.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:54   #45
Kibbs

Fuel Economy: 43 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by waguy01 View Post
Found Brandon at DCB on this site. Had my TB done by him yesterday. Very satisfied with his work and how knowledgeable he is. I'll be back...

Can you tell me the cost for a TB change either with DCB or others? Just bought a 2000 with 311K and I cannot determine the last change but know it was > 50K
Kibbs is offline   Reply With Quote