www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 4th, 2016, 02:45   #16
Q8Dhimmi

Default Not in my experience! 😢

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Do you really think VW cares about customers?
Not in my experience! 😢
Q8Dhimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 18:25   #17
lml999

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
As of this morning for a V6 T-reg: 059130755BT, $698. Brand new, no core. Probably cost about $45 to ship 2-day to Canada via FedEx.
-BB
Screw it. Before my extended warranty expires, at about 135K, I'm going to replace my pump. Cheaper to do it prophylactically than to do it post shrapnel explosion.

I'll consider it as proxy for the 90K timing belt change on a gas motor

Last edited by lml999; February 18th, 2016 at 18:34.
lml999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:49   #18
aNUT

Fuel Economy: Great.

those pumps are pretty darn expensive. Maybe just take the head off and look at the plunger/cam/roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml999 View Post
Screw it. Before my extended warranty expires, at about 135K, I'm going to replace my pump. Cheaper to do it prophylactically than to do it post shrapnel explosion.

I'll consider it as proxy for the 90K timing belt change on a gas motor
Old July 1st, 2016, 08:16   #19
giggamootis

Default Hpfp

2011 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi, driving down the road, lost power. i pulled over and came to a stop and the car would not start again. Got a couple error messages. Towed to VW garage. they diagnosed it as a HPFP failure. I have 119,500 miles. Warranty to 120K might cover it but they said my diesel looked contaminated on quick test and was being sent out for analysis. Has anyone got VW to pay on warranty from contaminated diesel or how do you make a claim against the gas station? Thanks, Tony
giggamootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 16:36   #20
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

Prove claim against gas/diesel station by presenting receipt for a full tank OF DIESEL purchased immediately before the failure. And be able to show that no OTHER fuel was purchased between then and the event.
Keep in mind that putting gas in the fuel tank of a diesel will cause the hpfp to fail.
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:25   #21
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the only Touareg we have seen fail twisted the camshaft in the process and totaled the vehicle (bent valves). In that case the customer refueled at the boat ramp and we found red tide in the fuel tank. Even worse was while we were "fixing" their Touareg the Chevy dealer was working on their Duramax.

It might be worth the extra step to verify the cam timing (at both ends of driver intake cam) to make sure there is no other damage before replacing the fuel system.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:57   #22
SemperFido

Did they still cover it even though it had off road fuel in it? I have a 2010 Q7 that had the fuel system and engine replaced due to HPFP failure at 43k.
SemperFido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:00   #23
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The "red tide" was a sludge of red...algae? No red dyed fuel. And VW didn't cover it. Never even asked, just called insurance.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:09   #24
SemperFido

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The "red tide" was a sludge of red...algae? No red dyed fuel. And VW didn't cover it. Never even asked, just called insurance.

Jason
Gotcha sorry for the confusion.
SemperFido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 19:37   #25
monikadean2014

Default 2009 Q7 TDI HPFP Catastrophic failure.....

Another casualty here! 2009 Q7 TDI S Line with 117,000 miles. It just died while driving on Sat night as I came to a dead stop at a light. My mechanic coded it today and supplied pics. I suspected the worst and that's what has happened. HPFP catastrophic failure.
I find it pretty disgusting really that Audi hasn't done more to come up with a maintenance schedule for this, it certainly would save them a LOT of money if they do wind up covering it. This sucks too being how I'm just over a month from them buying my TDI in the Diesel Gate buy back lawsuit.
Pretty disgusting!
monikadean2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 20:30   #26
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobyT View Post
Odd, I was only thinking the other day that we haven't heard of an HPFP incident for quite a while on the Touareg forums, but the damage is consistent with such a failure.

At $10K, the costs quoted are several thousand dollars less than others have paid - or got VW to pay - as $16K has been quoted more than once.

At your mileage and age of the car, I think you will have a hard time getting VW to cough up anything, but it is worth a try.

HPFP can be caused by using poor quality diesel with poor lubricity, mis-fuelling with gas, running out of diesel, or consistently running the car with a near empty tank as the fuel the engine doesn't need whilst its running gets sent back to the tank where it arrives very hot and, despite there being a fuel cooler, it does also use the tank's contents to help cool it again.
HPFP failure can be caused by ingesting slugs of free water in diesel fuel. The HPFP in common rail systems are much more susceptible to damage from water in diesel fuel from condensation compared to older rotary (VE) injector pump systems. Slugs of free water in diesel fuel will destroy the HPFP in no time at all and will do so faster than poor lubricity will. Free water in diesel fuel absolutely must be avoided at ALL costs!

I wish our TDIs had a Water in Fuel (WIF) sensor in the fuel filter to alert owners of possible water problems so they can take immediate corrective action to prevent HPFP failure and other problems. If rust and corrosion are found in the fuel system upon teardown, it's a sign that the fuel system has been ingesting water for some time.

To the original poster (OP), have you regularly used an additive with every tankful such as PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) to increase lubricity and control water? Do you fuel up at high diesel turnover stations along major routes that get lots of truck traffic? The fuel will be the freshest in the region at these stations because it's constantly being replaced due to the large amount of truck traffic and will be less likely to be contaminated with water from condensation and who knows what else. Diesel fuel is hygroscopic like brake fluid is and likes to soak up water like a sponge. A station that rarely turns their fuel is more likely to have a significant amount of water from condensation and also have microbial growth due to the water. A single tank of water-contaminated fuel is all it takes to wreck a HPFP in no time at all and must be avoided at ALL costs.

Sorry to hear. Good luck.
Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Last edited by n1das; March 20th, 2017 at 20:36.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 08:52   #27
Tow-rig

TDI(s): Touareg 2011

What are the early warning signs, if any, of this problem? I have an '11 with 128K miles, half of which were easy 70 mph highway trips and half shorter trips. And maybe 15K miles of the highway trips included towing a 5,000 lb trailer.
Anyhow, the engine has started to occasionally cut-out for a split second. It reminds me of fuel starvation problems I have had in other vehicles. Tank is full though. Makes no difference if engine is warm or if I am traveling in a straight line or going around a corner or headed uphill or down. No check-engine light is triggered. I know it could be a million other things (also feels like huge turbo-lag). I dont want to spend a fortune replacing parts it if I am going to do a buyback in 2 months.
Tow-rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 07:12   #28
Radman
Veteran Member

Does it cut out at idle or full throttle? How old is the Fuel filter?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:34   #29
Tow-rig

TDI(s): Touareg 2011

Just poking around town, usually low speed. Not on full acceleration, mild acceleration, never happened above 30 mph. VW mechanics checked it out and can find no problems. It is 5K into its most recent 10K service. Since I use it to pull an enclosed trailer and race car, I don't want to get stranded with it somewhere. Certainly livable as is, the concern is it getting worse. It has lasted thru 2 tankfuls of fuel.
Tow-rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:34   #30
Radman
Veteran Member

Do you occasionally drive it like you stole it? A friend on mine has the Cayenne Diesel which his Wife babies too much and ends up getting limp mode and codes. Once he drives it hard everything clears and runs fine. These cars are designed to be driven spiritedly otherwise turbo actuators seize up, intakes clog etc... dont be shy to beat it once in awhile, it may clear some type of blockage. Regardless yours goes back shortly you mentioned so would not worry too much.