www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 8th, 2017, 17:49   #1
jcart
Veteran Member

Default 2015 Phase 1 program results

Anyone done the Phase 1 reprogram recall and if so any difference in power, fuel and/or addblue consumption?

Thanks,

jrc
'97 ECLB 7.3 power stroke auto stocker
'97 CC 7.3 Power stroke ZF 5 with lotsa mods
jcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 18:38   #2
tomo366
TDI Lifer

No change! Love it! But you should do a search there are a lot of posts about this already
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:04   #3
jcart
Veteran Member

Thanks Tomo366, I should done a search, albeit I did have an ocular scan and didn't see much in this section...

Thanx again.

j
Old March 20th, 2017, 17:38   #4
jcart
Veteran Member

So have driven a bunch of Kms, some fast.... some normal. I noticed right away the clutch engagement (throttle response) off idle is nicer and there appears to be (SOP) increased low end torque. With 3 passengers (16 year old soccer wenches) and me, noticeable power loss in the upper gears like 5th and 6th compared to pre-phase 1 I'm thinking. Fuel delivery seems to not increase much over 13 litres / 100 Kms when mashing the peddle in 5 and 6th almost seems fuel restricted. Low end seems like it will run to 30-35 Litres / 100 Kms and pulls harder than prior to phase 1. Fuel economy has gone down a little I'd say meaning 4.8-5.0 (pre) increased to 5.1 to 5.8. Not sure on AdBlue yet guessing consumption may be more although not sure yet.

Still a fun car.

j
Old March 23rd, 2017, 21:13   #5
Tornado TDI
Veteran Member

That's good to hear, I'm taking mine in next Thursday to have it done.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 23:04   #6
CastIronJSW

I have had five fill-ups so far since the fix - here are my observations:

1. The engine runs a little quieter and a little smoother
2. In town mileage is about the same, maybe slightly better
3. Highway mileage is 2% to 5% better (calculated - not MFI)
4. Power curve is a little bit different, but not very noticeable
5. Regens are much less frequent
6. I don't know about Adblue usage rate
7. I am so glad I didn't sell it!
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:55   #7
Jibeho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Golf

I think they changed the shift points in the DSG programming. I find myself using sport mode more now around town.
2015 TDI Golf S DSG
2016 Mercedes C300 4matic
Jibeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 13:09   #8
linux_author
Veteran Member

we're satisfied with the mileage, performance, and most certainly the 2/3rd settlement payment for Phase 1 - our GSW DSG TDI wagen seems fine...

as others have reported:

1. mileage is same or better
2. smoother off the line
3. performance (acceleration) seems same
4. no apparent engine noise difference for our vehicle
5. fewer regens (but we'll see what develops this summer in 90F+ temps)

willie
on the smile-with-every-VW-mile Gulf of Mexico
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 16:55   #9
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Ok - so we had the Phase I (Sw update) done on our 2015 Golf right when it became available.. Car has been fine since then - running good, no significant change in MPG, etc. Today, at 28800 miles we have FINALLY seen the "Low DEF" warning - refill in 1500 Miles. So my guess is that the car is probably using more DEF than before the fix.

Just reporting for peoples knowledge.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 03:33   #10
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
Ok - so we had the Phase I (Sw update) done on our 2015 Golf right when it became available.. Car has been fine since then - running good, no significant change in MPG, etc. Today, at 28800 miles we have FINALLY seen the "Low DEF" warning - refill in 1500 Miles. So my guess is that the car is probably using more DEF than before the fix.

Just reporting for peoples knowledge.
Thanks to you and all other reports

Bump
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 17:38   #11
ecode
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk6 Wagon

Just throwing this out there....

You think that if there was software that made the cars WAY Better, AND were better for the environment... WHY DID VW CHEAT?????

There is CLEARLY a reason why the cars were made non compliant in the first place, and for one, am fairly confident that is wasn't because VW was lazy and just didn't want to create better software.

I'm also fairly confident that the new software will greatly impact the hardware elements of the emissions systems, hence why hardware is part of the fix.

You cannot make one part of a closed system 'better' without making some part 'worse'...
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 18:45   #12
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecode View Post
Just throwing this out there....

You think that if there was software that made the cars WAY Better, AND were better for the environment... WHY DID VW CHEAT?????

There is CLEARLY a reason why the cars were made non compliant in the first place, and for one, am fairly confident that is wasn't because VW was lazy and just didn't want to create better software.

I'm also fairly confident that the new software will greatly impact the hardware elements of the emissions systems, hence why hardware is part of the fix.

You cannot make one part of a closed system 'better' without making some part 'worse'...
But the warrenty and the fact they will be replacing the "wear parts" of the emissions system midlife for free is a HUGE thing. No fix, I bet they were hoping to make the parts last. But now, they must work, and if they don't​, VW pays. Yes, the standards are SLIGHTLY less for the 2015 cars that they were supposed too meet new, no cheat. Actually the improvement is pretty slight vs pre scandal.
Biggest change is 15-20 more DEF usage according to VW, and this brings DEF use more in line with other diesels that use DEF.
IMO the original choice of keeping the DEF use so low was simply marketing. They didn't want anything​ that would make people feel the car was not like it's gas powered version.
Honestly, adding DEF on a 2015 is a simple thing if you go to a location with DEF pumps. Cheap too.
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:10   #13
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
But the warrenty and the fact they will be replacing the "wear parts" of the emissions system midlife for free is a HUGE thing. No fix, I bet they were hoping to make the parts last.
But now, they must work, and if they don't​, VW pays. Yes, the standards are SLIGHTLY less for the 2015 cars that they were supposed too meet new, no cheat. Actually the improvement is pretty slight vs pre scandal.

Biggest change is 15-20 more DEF usage according to VW, and this brings DEF use more in line with other diesels that use DEF.
IMO the original choice of keeping the DEF use so low was simply marketing. They didn't want anything​ that would make people feel the car was not like it's gas powered version.
Honestly, adding DEF on a 2015 is a simple thing if you go to a location with DEF pumps. Cheap too.

I was-am in the hopper for a buyback.

But after searching for a suitable replacement, I have reopened the possibility of the FIX.

One negative point on getting a new replacement, is the cost of a new TT&L
With the FIX thee is no (new) TT&L issue.

Hoping you get the added BOSCH $350 added to the first 2/3 check.. That would raise my (2/3) from $4,466 to $4,816 ~~ Extrapolating to include the benefit of no TT&L ~~ I come up with 'bout $5,725

Main reason I am in flux about BB vs FIX is I can't find a really satisfying replacement unit at a price I want to pay
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:20   #14
DanB36
Veteran Member

The Bosch settlement is separate; you get a separate check for that whenever it comes. It isn't part of, or rolled into, any of the VW settlement payments.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:24   #15
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
I was-am in the hopper for a buyback.
But after searching for a suitable replacement, I have reopened the possibility of the FIX.
One negative point on getting a new replacement, is the cost of a new TT&L
With the FIX thee is no (new) TT&L issue.
Hoping you get the added BOSCH $350 added to the first 2/3 check.. That would raise my (2/3) from $4,466 to $4,816 ~~ Extrapolating to include the benefit of no TT&L ~~ I come up with 'bout $5,725
Main reason I am in flux about BB vs FIX is I can't find a really satisfying replacement unit at a price I want to pay
My choice became simple...I just had to be honest with myself.
It was the right car when I bought it...The free $$ just made it better.
And a 2015 is actually now better with the fix...
Fewer fears of problems...Great free warrenty, and car could be argued is SLIGHTLY better in HP/TQ from dyno tests.
I took the $$, and know I have a car I like, low fuel costs, longer warrenty than when I bought it, and a total of 4 checks...The $1000, the first fix $, the second fix and the bosh $. More than makes it the cheapest new car ever.

Last edited by ZippyNH; April 14th, 2017 at 06:26.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote