www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old March 14th, 2017, 12:53   #1
breakfasteatre
Veteran Member

Default About to pick up a reman starter (Remy) at partssource, are there better options?

Was sold a gas starter on a Facebook partswap, told it was a TDI starter. Stupid me didn't cross reference the part number.c

Called partssource and they have the remanufactured remy, 2kw manual tranny TDI starter in stock.

Visually the Remy's look good but I have no idea about the performance. It's $230 bucks plus tax. I need the starter asap so I can't wait for anything to come in.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2017, 15:21   #2
tassolake
Veteran Member

Find someone with a jobber account at Autocamping. They sell new Bosch units for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. Roseland would be a good place to start, he has an account at Autocamping and is prepared to resell (I have an account, but will not resell parts).

Last edited by tassolake; March 14th, 2017 at 15:23.
tassolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 18:04   #3
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Take your own starter to a rebuilder. They can rebuild it in a few hours for around $100

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:38   #4
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I was thinking the same - I have a spare ALH starter (still works, but needs a new bushing) if you need a core.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:25   #5
imo000
Veteran Member

The Part Source starter will be fine.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:16   #6
2ManyKMfor1Tank
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

There is a place that sells Chinese starters, starts with an F, mine was 135 taxes in. I'll try and recall it tomorrow.
2000 Jetta TDI - Ventectomy, Defender Skid Plate, Bilstein TC Comforts, Audi TT bushings, Newsouth Boost gauge, Recaro GLI's, Frost Heater, FK Depo headlights with HID's, PP502's, DG Racepipe, Malone Stage 3, ScanGauge II.
2ManyKMfor1Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:21   #7
2ManyKMfor1Tank
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Frisco is the one I was thinking of.
2000 Jetta TDI - Ventectomy, Defender Skid Plate, Bilstein TC Comforts, Audi TT bushings, Newsouth Boost gauge, Recaro GLI's, Frost Heater, FK Depo headlights with HID's, PP502's, DG Racepipe, Malone Stage 3, ScanGauge II.
2ManyKMfor1Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:45   #8
Tdi Kick
Veteran Member

Default this was important enough for me to log in :D

Dont waste your time with cheap rebuilds.

My own personal experience with them has been less than stellar, and each time the troubles showed up in the cold of winter, when the car was needed most. This was on my Wife's car. Two friends cars were the same result(cheap rebuilds)and a VW shop with plenty of volume had clued me in, they'll not use anything but Bosch now.

I bought a Bosch and never looked back.

YMMV and good luck!

91 Kick AHU: "TDI KICK" - Mine
02 Golf ALH: "TDI DIVA" - Wife's
Tdi Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:41   #9
imo000
Veteran Member

It's all the the bushing. If there is too much play, the starter will fail in really cold temperatures.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 18:08   #10
shak911
Veteran Member

if you want a rebuilt..try Ararat on Midwest in Scarboro..if they do not have one on the shelf, they'll rebuild yours, 1 year warranty and good prices....good honest people.cash N' Carry..

Also there is a guy with a shipping container store front on Rexdale..he buys used cars and strips them..so far I bought 120amp alternator(clutched bully) for 80, heater blower for 25, 2x rear brake calibers 30 each, all in excellent condition...cash and carry forget the core, you can keep it. if you want his contact let me know..

Parts Source and CTC, I stay away from them both, for key components like starter and alternators..not knowledgeable staff...poorly paid and good customer service is not a priority...even for a battery, I go to Costco, no questions asked..return desk know just tells to go pick up another.

I bought a half shaft from CTC for my 04/ the one they gave me looked slightly different 2 much tread...after I installed it, it must've stretched and inner cv joint must have separated, caused the boot to twist and rip, ended getting a replacement from the US for around 50 and no core...

Last edited by shak911; April 3rd, 2017 at 18:16. Reason: add:
shak911 is offline   Reply With Quote