www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 6th, 2017, 19:19   #31
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
normally between 5 and 15 minutes is the golden time to check the oil. I learned this the hard way on a Honda Dry sump XR600R after I dumped 6 quarts into the thing back when I was 15

I am not sure I am seeing this right. Even in good light. I took your advice and checked it warm. There is oil, in a straight line around the middle of that buckshot plastic ball every time but I am not sure that there is very much oil on the wire between that ball and the full mark.

I can't believe I am having so much trouble. I am going to use a magnifying glass and a led work-light tomorrow and really "scrutinize" this bloody thing. I have an electric oil extractor on it's way to me also.

I'm feeling pretty dumb right now but why should now be different than any other time in my life
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 20:05   #32
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

the tube is narrow and wipe's on the flexible stick for sure! I have more trouble reading it than any of my other rigs.
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 20:35   #33
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
the tube is narrow and wipe's on the flexible stick for sure! I have more trouble reading it than any of my other rigs.
Thanks I owe you for a consolation. Life was so much easier when I knew everything when I was 16.
Old March 7th, 2017, 13:49   #34
PAJettaTDI

Ok, back to my original reason for posting this. I wanted to give my 2015 Manual Passat a few weeks after the fix before I actually calculated the MPG using the odometer and the pump.

35.4 - At about a 50/50 mix of highway/city

I drove in the following scenario since my last fill-up used in this calculation:

- 291 "highway" miles (3 - 98 mile commutes with red lights included)
- 276 in-town miles (includes daily 10 minute idles waiting in a carpool line)

Note: 15 out of 98 highway miles (per day) go through dense red light areas each day and several hills. The in-town miles involve rural windy/hilly roads (PA roads).

I didn't keep track of this previously, but I feel it is about the same as I was getting before, maybe even better on occasion. I drive like a maniac, so this is probably more of a worst case scenario. The car runs great and seems to be configured optimally IMO. I'm very happy I chose this path in keeping my car.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 18:28   #35
Funguy
Veteran Member

That is good to hear PA. I used to watch my mileage closely but since I got this car I haven't watched as closely. Especially since I retired I don't drive regularly either. My car may have that low end torque you spoke about. I do think I have lost a couple of mpg. I may have been wrong about the oil level though. I don't get why they make the dipstick so complicated. No matter how many times I check I get oil right up to the middle of that buckshot size plastic ball. The two notches though that are at and above the full mark are not as full of oil as the one at the bottom of the dipstick. So maybe it isn't overfilled?

Have you noticed this on your car?
Old March 7th, 2017, 20:37   #36
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Funguy: Simple. Clean cloth/paper towel. Place the end of the dipstick flat on the cloth and ROLL it. You'll clearly see where the oil level is.
This is the only way I've found that works on all engines. Gas engines are even harder to read, as the oil stays clean for so long.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:37   #37
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Funguy: Simple. Clean cloth/paper towel. Place the end of the dipstick flat on the cloth and ROLL it. You'll clearly see where the oil level is.
This is the only way I've found that works on all engines. Gas engines are even harder to read, as the oil stays clean for so long.
Thank you. I did try that but the stick isn't flat. It is completely irregular. Narrow wire. square block. notches, sphere's. I'm okay though. I think looking for oil in the notches will be the trick. I'd forgotten how clean new oil is in a gasser! Possibly the only think I miss about gas cars.

Glad I kept the car so far.
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:53   #38
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg S, 42 mpg W

I tend to check my dip stick/oil level prior to the daily first start of the vehicle. Oil has fully drained down from motor and dip stick tube. Pull straight up and read--no wipe or rag needed. Working well for 40+ years.

My '06 BRM Jetta had a black plastic dipstick. A light sanding and white plastic spray paint solved that issue.
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:29   #39
dieselbill

Talking Phase 1 completed

On 03/23/17 had the phase 1 emissions modification completed. So far I am very pleased with the reprogramming. Will post more after I have put some miles on and received the restitution.
dieselbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 08:36   #40
Funguy
Veteran Member

That is good news Bill. btw I think my mileage is not as bad as I thought and at this time I am very glad I kept the car.
Old March 25th, 2017, 20:34   #41
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

cold and rain destroy mpg's I only got 33mpg today on my way home in my 2013 CKRA
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 21:38   #42
Funguy
Veteran Member

It is surprising how much wet roads can affect mpg
Old March 27th, 2017, 14:03   #43
dieselbill

Talking VW delivers as promised!

Phase 1 emissions modification completed 03/23/17, restitution in the bank 03/27/17! VERY pleased and love the vehicle too.
dieselbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 18:27   #44
radtech83

How long once you completed the VW Portal before you were contacted that you could schedule your Phase 1 with a dealer for your 2015 Passat?

I completed the Portal 8 days ago and haven't received anything yet.

radtech83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 18:52   #45
Funguy
Veteran Member

I did mine through snail mail so I don't know that what I say applies but I think it was right away. They wouldn't let me log back in. Said I was completed. Are you getting any messages?