www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:23   #136
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Headed to the dealer to see if they would cover it, no dice so i just talked to VWOA to see if they would help and they are sending to a region case manager to look over, i'm not expecting much. I'll plan on cleaning it this weekend and maybe luck out and ignore all this... also crossed 80,000 miles this week. Talk about unlucky timing.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 14:23   #137
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter

Ok to revive and further this post I have read ALL 136 posts regarding code P2201 NOX senxsor bank 1 and CEL light on. As far as I can tell the car did not produce nearly the same crisp tourque at low rpm with this CEL DTC on. It was hard to tell if fuel mileage was affected because I drove In a lot of heavy snow and salt water too prior to the CEL coming on but my fuel mileage was down by about 100km on a half tank. I'm thinking the ECU reschedules fuel to something less hot with this fault to back off the NOX emissions. Thus the crappy performance. I never got a countdown for def fluid though. I called the dealer in Orillia/Ontario and discussed the problem with them and the service advisor said the first step was they have a recall for "Connector seal" on the connector plug for the NOX. It was explained to me that they are checking for integrity of the seal on the plug and for corrosion of the pins too. I do notice that some are getting this code after driving in standing water and heavy rain for extended periods or after going to the car wash. so that would make sense in it explains some of these codes.
So I take the car into said dealer the mechanic does the check and the service guy tells me that the connector is ok and sensor needs to be replaced at 1200$ CAD. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I told him to button the car up and I can get his 903$ part landed in Canada for 563$CAD and I'll be doing the job myself. But before they finish I ask if the the codes will be rest for troubleshooting purposes. Nope I'm told it needs a sensor and they cannot reset. So I say fine thinking when I get it home I'll check the codes again and wipe them if it allows. So I get home and find out that I'm able to wipe the nox sensor code BUT there is a "PERMANENT" code remeaining for P2201 NOX sensor bank 1. So I drag out my manual for my generic code reader manual and it says that it may take 40 drive cycles to clear that "PERMANENT" code provided there are no more DTC's for the the same System. After I did a code erase the Code reader showed a YELLOW light which I understand means the associated system is not currently a hard fault but the diagnostic routines have to run and there is an indicator for all 15 of those monitors 10 of which show green and 5 show red still meaning they have not run yet. The DPF and NOX codes still show Red. I is my rudimentary understanding that there is a drive routine that must be done before all of those specific conditions can be met to do a self test of all the monitors. I asked the dealer to tell me what that routine is since they did not do the reset. They never called back despit two calls. BUT HERE IS THE KICKER. WHEN I ERASED THE DTC's the CEL goes out which indicates to me that the system is not currently faulted! I WAS MAD! we will see if the fault returns. I have 141,000 km on my 2012 Passat TDI W DSG and 90 percent of my driving is highway with each drive being 250 km. So it should be a very NOX friendly drive cycle. If the problem returns I'll try removing the sensor and cleaning with carb cleaner like others have suscefully done. So Fingers crossed. I just got the recall in the mail dated DEC 2016 it shows SAFETY RECALL- CONECTOR SEAL. How do they figure it is a safety issue? The dealer did say that it is not covered under any warrantee if the NOX sensor is bad. I have a mind to do the off-road only dsg delete pipe. My only concern is the ad blue software. Anybody had this done with the a Passat successfully? I don't want any CEL issues or DEF countdowns associated with this mod. I know CR PERFORMANCE has successfully done this in the States but anybody in the TORONTO/BARRIE area do this successfully? I don't really feel like driving to the states to have this done. It would be nice to have the extra 25 or 30 HP and 90 more foot LBs. Any further thoughts people? I don't know why the dealer did not rest the codes for trouble shooting purposes and have me report back? I'm wondering if I'm smelling a rat.
BTW after driving say 700 km I re-read the DTC's and the PERMANENT DTCs are all gone with only one more non associated monitor showing red (not completed) with a yellow emissions test light.

Last edited by Flyboy777; January 31st, 2017 at 14:31.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 15:18   #138
Lex Tdi

My light has been on for a year due to the NOX sensor... fuel mileage is not affected. To be honest i was waiting until some nicer weather and a bit of time (have a 6 month old now) and a huge amount of available spare parts in the future. I'll get around to it.... someday
Old March 8th, 2017, 17:26   #139
baddowg

Mine went out yesterday, had it fixed today, $700 later.
baddowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 04:53   #140
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddowg View Post
Mine went out yesterday, had it fixed today, $700 later.
I had this done under warranty two years ago. This is just another one of these fragile emissions components that fails in large numbers. And, when coupled with the turbocharger, AdBlue heater, heater core, and a few lesser lights, adds up to a list that confirms our decision to do the buyback next year. Just hope the sensor holds out until then....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:22   #141
Flyboy777

Default Nox sensor update

Ok I tried to remove the nox sensor to clean but it is in there. I bought the slotted socket but could not get a ratchet on without dropping the exhaust because I'm just working on the car up on jack stands with a creeper. I bought a box end wrench and opened it up with a grinder with the hopes that would provide enough tourque to get the sensor loose after heating and penetrating oil but no luck. So I gave up but would like to report that after towing a snowmobile trailer with the car for 300 km and stopping during a regen that the CEL has gone away! As far as I can tell the added load from towing and the regen cooked off the carbon on my nox sensor! MFI numbers were like a steady 7.5 to 8 litres/100km which is 66% more fuel and heat than when not towing. So I'm not sure if it was the regen or the higher steady load. I have heard other people say that these cars function better when they are driven hard and this would be one case where that is true! I mean we bought these cars because they get phenomenal fuel mileage so most of us hyper mile and are gentle in the way we drive to get the best mileage. I'm now thinking drive it like you stole it because it gets great mileage anyways and the thing won't carbon up as bad. Food for thought. Anyways I'm happy because I can take it in for the recall and not have to worry about the 1500$ fix for this nox sensor.
Old June 28th, 2017, 14:49   #142
Lex Tdi

Seriously officer i was told to hammer the throttle to fix my sensor that is full of carbon... Love it.
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:33   #143
Flyboy777

Yeh you can add that as a new one to your list of excuses.
Old August 8th, 2017, 05:21   #144
Flyboy777

An update. I my check engine light came on again for nox sensor but I towed my trailer for say 100km and the light went out. I was able to take my car in for the emissions fix and not have to pay 1200$ before getting it to fix the carboned nox sensor so I'm happy and now have a warrantee to 192,000km. Life's good.