www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:08   #511
nord
Veteran Member

Correct! Brain fart I guess. My point, though, stands. The entire system needs flushed and it's almost impossible to do without pulling a lot of plumbing on one hand or flushing per my method on the other.

On the subject of an orange coolant tint, this is why I stressed cleaning the reservoir. Even a slightly contaminated and stained reservoir will cause the pink to go slightly to the orange at least to the eye. Best to siphon coolant out of the tank into a clear glass container to have a look.

So once again... Any orange discoloration is an indication that the system is contaminated. This is the reason the car must be driven for a couple of miles while up to operating temp between flushes until only clear water remains in the system. Only then will the coolant be a bright pink color and not take on an orange tint for the final fill.

Given that there is no easy way to disconnect and flush the system from the bottom side of the car and that we're dealing with two distinct systems sharing the same coolant, I tend to favor the topside flush. I tried the bottom flush on one of our cars and about the best I can share is that I wore and tasted a lot of coolant, and that the flush was unsuccessful. It was very frustrating at minimum.
Topside was quick and easy by comparison.

One last point... The vacuum causes more turbulence than merely cycling clean water through the system. It seems to dislodge more contamination than other methods and allows the clean water to suspend these particles for removal. Water will probably be heavily contaminated for the first two cycles. The third will often be clean. The reservoir will become badly stained and will need cleaning after the last cycle of clean water.
nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:15   #512
bfbay

I'm on my second replacement core, and I still don't think things are right. I had the core replaced for the second time 3 weeks ago. Took it back to the dealer after 1 week because I was still getting low heat out passenger side after the core replacement. They ended doing something with the egr cooler and flushing the cooling system. I think they replaced the core without getting the junk out of the cooling system first..

Anyway, I'm getting heat, but the temperature gradient from left to right is 170, 147, 126, 110 when running heat with high fan out of the vents. Car was heated up, vents were all open.

What is the normal temp for the passenger side vent when running highest fan setting and hottest thermostat setting?
bfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 20:42   #513
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

Mine was replaced under warranty about a year ago.

The temps from my vents at full hot, fan on high and engine up to normal operating temp and outside air temp in the upper 70's just the other day:

160/160/150/130

...using a Raytek hand-held infrared thermometer.

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:19   #514
Rico567
Veteran Member

Had mine replaced last winter under the extended warranty after a trip to VA where the passenger side was somewhat chilly. If there are any problems again this winter = another core.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:37   #515
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbay View Post
I'm on my second replacement core, and I still don't think things are right. I had the core replaced for the second time 3 weeks ago. Took it back to the dealer after 1 week because I was still getting low heat out passenger side after the core replacement. They ended doing something with the egr cooler and flushing the cooling system. I think they replaced the core without getting the junk out of the cooling system first..

Anyway, I'm getting heat, but the temperature gradient from left to right is 170, 147, 126, 110 when running heat with high fan out of the vents. Car was heated up, vents were all open.

What is the normal temp for the passenger side vent when running highest fan setting and hottest thermostat setting?
You should be able to get at least 150F from all of the vents at full operating temperature.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:29   #516
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

mine is for sure plugged, I replaced the coolant via the shop vac method Nord did, helped a bit but not much. On a crisp day mine are 160,98,52,40 and wont de-ice the window on the passenger side so when driving in snow, we turn the heat completely off so the window freezes and the snow will not stick to it. works great, buuuut wife isn't on board and wants a new Toyota hilander
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:08   #517
06bluebeetletdi

Mine is being replaced today!
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 03:36   #518
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
mine is for sure plugged, I replaced the coolant via the shop vac method Nord did, helped a bit but not much. On a crisp day mine are 160,98,52,40 and wont de-ice the window on the passenger side so when driving in snow, we turn the heat completely off so the window freezes and the snow will not stick to it. works great, buuuut wife isn't on board and wants a new Toyota hilander
One more factor in my decision to abandon ship! I knew my car was on coolant system life support. I had installed an filtration system and green coolant and it still was turning dark orange although no more sediment and I had good heat. But there were so many coolant hoses between the factory ones, frost heater, and filter that things were chafing and I was constantly inspecting for chafed lines.
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin - GONE TO BUYBACK
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:26   #519
danko0

TDI(s): Passat TDI

HI guys, It`s really a long topic, so I believe it`s best to ask I`m having Passat b7, with the same issue as all do no heating, so I`m pretty sure it`s the heat core I need to replace. The question is do I need to disassemble the dash ? or the replacement is done from under the driver dash part.

P.s. for some reason I`m not seeing the pics in the topic, so please excuse me if it`s shown there.

Thanks in advance.
danko0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 18:12   #520
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by danko0 View Post
HI guys, It`s really a long topic, so I believe it`s best to ask I`m having Passat b7, with the same issue as all do no heating, so I`m pretty sure it`s the heat core I need to replace. The question is do I need to disassemble the dash ? or the replacement is done from under the driver dash part.

P.s. for some reason I`m not seeing the pics in the topic, so please excuse me if it`s shown there.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if the B7 (European Passat) is laid out differently than the NMS (North American Passat). In the NMS, heater core access is right next to the accelerator pedal.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 20:45   #521
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^and...has the real B7 been affected by the heater core issues???
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote