www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 24th, 2017, 08:06   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

One option would be to disconnect a fuel line from the fuel filter and use the in-tank pump and VCDS to pump the fuel out of the tank and into a container. Do that until the tank level is low enough that you can safely remove the fuel sending unit (or just pump all of the fuel out that way).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:21   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would just attach a nice 4' length of hose (fuel line preferably) to the fuel return nipple on the filter canister. Then start the engine or use vcds to run the pumps. I'd leave at least a couple gallons in the tank.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 13:40   #18
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my chevy used to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
There already is a fine collection of fuel pumps on the car.

pull a fuel line from the fuel filter under the hood (use the one that returns to the fuel tank), hook up a similar diameter hose, and start the car. turn the engine off when your collection tank is as full as you like.
I may have spoken too soon.

the passat has a three hose fitting to the fuel filter, not the four hose version on the Jetta.

anyone know where the fuel line return to the tank can be accessed under the hood?

if you had a VCDS you could pull the supply hose, and run the in-tank pump directly, but the return to the tank would seem a safer bet to do with the car running (if you do not have a VCDS).

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; January 24th, 2017 at 13:47.
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 21:54   #19
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Removing the sending unit with the tank full of fuel will result in a half dozen gallons of diesel fuel in the floorboard of your car. Not recommended.
I didn't realize the sending unit wasn't the highest point in the tank lol! I must have gotten lucky when I took mine out to clean the strainers
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 19:40   #20
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

It's pretty high up there, but keep in mind that you have the entire filler neck volume above it. If your fuel gauge is reading anything less than full, you're probably fine to remove it.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 19:41   #21
DieselDavid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Typically between 53 and 57 MPG per tank
Smile

For whatever it is worth, a while ago one of my non-VW gasoline powered cars was in a collision and declared a total loss right after I filled the gasoline tank. The car sat in my driveway for about 1 week while the insurance companies wrapped up the claims. While the car was sitting in my driveway I removed all but a gallon or two from the tank.

To remove the gasoline I disconnected the fuel line from the tank where it connected to the fuel filter under the car and placed it in a gasoline jug. Then I repeatedly used the key in the ignition switch to turn on the electrical system without starting the engine, which primed the fuel system by running the pump for several seconds. Each cycle pumped out maybe 1 cup (8 fl oz) of gasoline. In time the jug was about full. Then I did it again for other jug/jugs until the gauge showed the tank was very low.

Yes this took a fair amount of time but it did not change the value of my totalled car, and I knew the guys at whatever junkyard got my totalled car would cut the fuel line under the car to drain the gasoline for filling up their own personal cars. So I moved most of my own gasoline from my totalled car into one of my other gasoline powered cars.

∙ 2015 candy-white Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual, 16,529 miles
5-tank averages: 51.35 MPG current, 52
.51 MPG best, 48.34 MPG worst
DieselDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 20:04   #22
sandmansans
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best tank:54.7. Drove From Chattanooga Tennesse to Poconos PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Let's just approach this as a mental exercise rather than criticizing the guy for his motives. Knowing how to drain the tank is useful information.
Good point veedub

I'd caution against running the pumps until dry. The hpfp especially as its known to grenade and if that goes you're really sol.

A question for those with more experience doing this, but couldn't he just pump or siphon it out from the filler neck? Make your own diy mity vac with a cheap hand pump, lines and a reservoir. I'd imagine that it would be drained in a relatively short amount of time. I've done so on older gas vehicles, not a problem. But I don't know if the filler neck on the tdi have any sort of restricting hardware that would make the reverse flow of fuel possible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
sandmansans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 21:16   #23
flyboybob

the first time i used one of these I was AMAZED how quickly and easily i could empty a full tank of fuel:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-.../dp/B000ZORJ1E

however, i've never used one on my passat and don't know if it would fit down the filler neck.

bob.

edit:
here's one that that is only 3/8" in diameter for smaller openings:

https://superjiggler.com/abante/inde...product_id=137

page has links to videos showing how easy it is to use.

bob.

Last edited by flyboybob; February 1st, 2017 at 21:38.
flyboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:10   #24
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
I'd swear that there are people on here that would take the air out of their tire's or drain their rads rather than let VW have it, I can see the nightmare that Canadian's are gonna have with people like that, Have enjoyed our car for 4+ yrs and hate to have to part with it but if VW will pay enough for it we'll buy a new one.

Ive been driving around for 4 months with no windshield washer fluid, they aren't getting more then they agreed too!!!!

J/K
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote