The Adventures of CompuDub

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Ran the Passat down to zero miles remaining to take advantage of the cheapest fuel on our trip, a BP station in Adrian, MI. It looks as if there was just over a gallon of fuel remaining in the tank.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would fill up the Touareg be for you leave NJ. NJ always low prices for fuel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And only 719 on the tank. Jack's B4 got 830 last tank and it wasn't even into the reserve. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL....wish I was with you guys!!:(
We haven't left yet because the Touareg is battling the alignment techs (and apparently winning). We can pick you up if you want to escape to New England with us. :)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
We haven't left yet because the Touareg is battling the alignment techs (and apparently winning). We can pick you up if you want to escape to New England with us. :)
I wish, but I just cannot......to much bad stuff happening here right now....:( cant wait for Detroit though!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
do you guys head up 95, or via 270 to I81?
There is probably no good way up at this time today.....I would stay as far away from 95 anywhere near NYC as Possible.....
We are hitting the road now. We usually do 95, which is the most direct, and often fastest (yes, even doing the GW Bridge).

I have never done 81 on this trip, so I don't know how much farther it is.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I always went 95 then took the Garden State Parkway which is west of NYC then cross the Tappanhanock Bridge then get on 84 to 684 and take it east across
Connecticut to Hartford and then go North but I think the Traffic may be Killer anyway today....

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
In Waze you should trust. Although, whenever you stop, or feel like it, tell it to stop navigating, then re-enter the destination. Sometimes it will give you a new solution.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We haven't left yet because the Touareg is battling the alignment techs (and apparently winning).
Chill had a '10 Touareg on his alignment machine one day recently when I was up there. He said the alignment took 4 hours and two people. :eek:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
google has good route comparison utilities.

my trips that far usually include a stop just west of Albany, and the PA/binghamton route books a half hour longer, but saves $30 in tolls, and it does not take much traffic to suck that much time out of the return. last time we went this way, however, there was some construction on 81 just north of the 78 cutoff that challenged timely progress.

you also can jump across the river to philly on the way south if the sign indicates traffic before the bridge out of NJ.

I have also gone up I270/US 15 to Harrisburg, and then take I78 into NJ, to catch the 287 loop up to the thruway. (but the two lane part of the NY thruway before exit 20 can back up too.)

all depends on traffic and weather (which you will not be bothered with this trip, it looks like)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So we ended up doing I-95 to the GWB (crossing at 6pm), stayed on 95 to 91 north, 84 east, 90 east, 495 north. We cruised across the bridge and through the city at 40+ MPH with no traffic backups whatsoever. 7.5 hours total, which is, I think, a new record for me.

22 MPG @ 75-80 MPH and two quick stops. In Valentine 1 we trust! :cool: ;)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
So we ended up doing I-95 to the GWB (crossing at 6pm), stayed on 95 to 91 north, 84 east, 90 east, 495 north. We cruised across the bridge and through the city at 40+ MPH with no traffic backups whatsoever. 7.5 hours total, which is, I think, a new record for me.

22 MPG @ 75-80 MPH and two quick stops. In Valentine 1 we trust! :cool: ;)
Damn last time I went that way on a Holiday Weekend it TOOK 14 hours....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How was the trip back?
Not too bad, although we were about 4 minutes behind a car crash and fire on the NJTP just north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. That set us back for about 25 minutes, but it was interesting to watch.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
On a rescue mission today to tow Colin (cfc1016, TDIFest auctioneer) back to Northern Virginia from western Maryland. His Mk4 is exhibiting some strange behaviors - perhaps a locked up starter or something else preventing the engine from turning over. No warning leading up to the no-start condition.