Adventures in biodiesel

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
Here's my story, only just slightly embellished.

Alright, so I get my two 55-gallon blue steel drums of biodiesel delivered yesterday (details tomorrow for you Mass/RI/NH folks) and my pump delivered today (shipping oversight on their part ... FedEx to the rescue). Interestingly, the pump is just a pump. Think "old west water pump". No hose, no nozzle, just a pump.

Heh.

I can screw on a garden hose if I so desire, but I don't have a short one, so I forego the hose. I use pliers to peel of a metal cap/cover thingie that, as it's popping off, slices my pinkie. I realize this later when blood's all over my hand. So, the thin metal cover is off (think aluminum can), and screwed into the 3-4 inch opening is a cover with no obvious way to remove it.

Realizing I'm in over my head (I may be mechanically inept, but I'm OK at realizing when I'm past my skill level), I go next door to get my electrician/construction guy Portuguese neighbor to come over and help me. He manages to get the thing off with use of a hammer and several well-timed Portuguese curses. God bless those Portuguese curses.

Remember, no hose here. No way I'm getting this straight to my car. So instead I grab a 5-gallon fuel container, a funnel, and a chair (to elevate the container) and start pumping. My neighbor, previously exposed to my biodiesel mania but never a witness to the actual event, looks on in horror as I feverishly pump away. Squirt. Squirt. Squirt. Squirt. Squirt. You get the picture. So we're chatting away, him fascinated by the yellow liquid gushing into my container. Suddenly we realize the reduced twilight visibility has tricked us into not realizing the container is VERY full and is gushing all over my wife's kitchen chair.

Heh.

So we cap the back, carry it over to the car, and get ready to pour. In the process, I only spill maybe a pint onto the driveway (yay me!). I pour it in. Mmmm. I love the smell of renewable fuel in the evening.

Wife calls. I explain how a neighborhood rabbit is digging a warren in our front yard. The neighbor meanders off. Call ends. Out comes the garden hose to wash off the driveway (sorta... where the biodiesel spilled the water beads up ... the bio never seems to go away). Thank the powers that be that this stuff's biodegradable and won't destroy my lawn.

The moral of the story: Don't ever let Nate do anything mechanical.

The other moral of the story: If you're going to get 55-gallon drums delivered to your house, go buy a real pump at the hardware store. An electric one, with a hose and nozzle. Take it from Uncle Natie.

[ June 13, 2002, 18:17: Message edited by: natescape ]

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White
You can get or have made a bung pick-up tube that threads into the large drum opening (bung) and then hook your pump up to that. This makes it easier than having to take the bung out each time you pump the fuel, also keeps the condensation down.

There are also available pump meters to let you know how much you've pumped.

One thing I would check if I were you is that your hoses are solvent resistant. I do believe biodiesel could affect certain hoses. Additionally make sure your pump's internals are also solvent resistant. Jabsco pumps have rubber vanes, but you can get solvent or chemical resistant one for the pump.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
netscape, congrats on getting some sweet B100 bean juice to your house! Sure beats the roundtrip to Maine!

Some nice pumps are available at NorthernTool.com

[ June 13, 2002, 18:51: Message edited by: Dorado ]

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
What I see all the local farmers using in everything from tractors to PU's is clear as spring water and tast like cooking oils. Why does everyone here talk about yellow stuff? Is it reclaimed fryer oil?

I do know it cleans out the intakes, fuel tanks and fuel lines. From what one guy told me their oil is holding up longer also. Hummm!!! Wonder why VW doesn't approve. It's the Tutonic mindset thing, once we prove to them rapeseed & soy are equal the problem will disappear.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Using the B100 stuff does clean out the junk in your fuel system...that you may need to replace the fuel filter once or twice before resuming the normal filter change.

That only applies if you're using 100% biodiesel