Is my vw totaled in repairs?

Summerheat

TDI
09 Jetta Wagon
Hello, I'm new to these forums, please let me know if I should post this elsewhere.
I have a 2009 jetta tdi sportwagen (cbea engine) with over 186k km that has not been driven in over a year. My parents had some difficulties with the buyback and its looking like they might ending up having to keep the car.
The problem is that after 8 years of reliability, the German unreliability stereotype has reared its ugly head. Here's a quick rundown of the stuff the car definitely needs.
1. Rear calipers need to be replaced/rebuilt. They work fine but the rubber's on the pistons are shot.
2. Rotors all around have become extremely rusty from sitting
3. Front drivers side coil spring
4. Dual mass flywheel for the DSG
5. A DSG service
6. Balance shaft module repair/delete
7. Timing belt
8. Filters all around
Is it even worth fixing? I really like the car, but I would not feel comfortable driving it around until all these things have been addressed.
Over a year ago, the low oil pressure light started flashing and chiming right as I got to the bottom of my street, so it was not driven very far. Looked it up and figured it must be the hex shaft. So I dropped the pan and replaced it, it was indeed stripped (I believe it was only stripped at one end, but I cannot remember. I have to find the old shaft). Put everything back together and took it for a test drive (<10km) and all seems to be well.
However this issue is bound to come up again, likely in a less convenient location, so I am looking for a permanent solution. What is the official Volkswagen fix for this problem? I've read about the bsm delete and am worried about snapped crankshafts and some other issues that have been reported. How difficult is it to install the bsm delete kit?
Interestingly enough, the coil spring snapped during this test drive. I heard some clanging and I nearly had a heart attack, thought i forgot to bolt something down, or I forgot some tool.
When I parked the car I noticed a faint knocking sound while in park, that goes away when put into gear. Typical signs of a bad dual mass flywheel. Bad luck I guess. Anyone replaced one before? How difficult would it be? Do I need to buy any specialized tools for any of these jobs?
Just looking for some more input, help me wrap my head around the situation.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
My two cents: Do the repairs and motor on as those are pretty general repairs for these cars. Especially if you're handy and can save some of the labour. At only 186km I would bet there is still lots of life left.

Did you get any "fix" money from VW? I banked mine with the thinking that when my warranty expires it will be due for DSG service, third timing belt, likely third DMF plus anything else that will likely pop up by then.

Summerheat

TDI
09 Jetta Wagon
I did not get the fix money, and I have not done the fix. Has me wondering though, would Volkswagen warranty these issues if i got the fix, even though they are preexisting? Have you encountered the balance shaft problem? Or is the 2010 not a cbea motor, and is not affected by the problem? Have you done the DMF fix yourself, or did you take it to a shop?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I am curious.

Ideally I would probably keep the car if we cannot work something out with Volkswagen. I most likely would not be able to find a suitable replacement for what it would cost me to fix it anyways.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The 2010 doesn't have that module, but others have advocated for a delete. I do believe you can get the warranty on the fixed parts as a recall without compensation, it is just the settlement deadline that has passed. They won't warranty anything preexisting based on other's comments in the Dieselgate forum (if they happen to catch it before performing the fix that is).

I took the DMF to a shop to have it replaced, I do believe it was about $1000, of which half was labour.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Sounds like a perfectly usable car.
1. Rebuild the calipers yourself. Rebuilt kits, in general aftermarket, usually cost a few dollars.
2. So what the rotors are rusty. Leave a car sitting for a couple weeks and they get rusty. Drive the car and they will clean themselves up.
3. What's wrong with the spring? Replace it. Borrow the strut tool from autozone.
4. DMF - does it need to be replaced already? Are you hearing sounds from it? Did you get a professional to look at it?
5. DSG service is easy DIY and not expensive
6. Why bother taking the balance thing out?
7. Timing belt and filters are routine maintenance.

Summerheat

TDI
09 Jetta Wagon
Ideally, I would repair the car, but I think it will run me at least 5k. And even then I would still have some other things to worry about, such as a possible HPFP or DPF failure.

To address a few of your points:
- The car has been sitting for well over a year, and the rotors have rusted to a point where they would at least need to be resurfaced to be usable, they will not just clear themselves up.
-the spring snapped, lost about 8 inches from the bottom half of it, does not sit right on the perch anymore.
-The timing belt, dsg service, filters are not that much of concern. I mentioned them because they would need to be done, and would add quite a bit to my costs.
- Yes the DMF needs to be replaced, its showing the telltale signs of failure. Its clunking while in park, but as soon as you put it into drive, the clunking stops.
- Car lost oil pressure because the hex key in the balance shaft module stripped out, put a new key in, but its not a permanent fix, its bound to strip out again. Its not just the key that strips out, its the key-way it slides into. I've read on some uk forums that there is a fix where they implement a longer 100mm hex key. I cant find anyone that has done it in north america, nor can i find the parts needed to perform that job.

I'm just trying to get as much information as I can from people who performed/gone through these issues.

I noticed that you also have a 09 tdi and live in a similar climate, have you not ran into any of these issues yet? From what I've read these issues are very common and are bound to happen to pretty much all of the cars eventually.