www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old December 8th, 2019, 09:41   #76
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
The space shuttle might not be a good example as it only had five computers and they were archaic.

"The Space Shuttle used five AP-101 computers as general-purpose computers (GPCs). Four operated in sync, for redundancy, while the fifth was a backup running software written independently."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System/4_Pi

"The flight computer aboard the space shuttle has less than one percent of the power of an Xbox 360 game console. Astronauts load programs directing the phases of a mission - liftoff, orbit, landing - into the computer one at a time after removing the program for the previous segment."

https://www.al.com/space-news/2011/0...acts_xbox.html

Close enough
A car needs one computer to run the engine and that’s it
There is no need for a computer to run the heat and air
And a computer in each door to run the locks and windows in that door .

Friend of mine had a Chevrolet several years ago with a small computer in each ,,,,,, tail light .

He knew this because they were forever going bad .
RoundHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2019, 10:28   #77
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
We had some kid* a few years back that insisted the standard radio in the new Cruze mommy and daddy bought for him was not good enough. So he proceeded to put in some crazy light show albatross of a thing... chopped up the wiring, different speakers, the whole works. Looked like crap. Sounded no better to me, but I am sure it was louder.

Found out that both the door chime and the turn signal "click" were actually run through the factory radio, and piped to the LF speaker. LMAO.... so none of that worked any more, and the car's electrical system had more codes than a German U-boat captain.

*by "kid" I mean offspring, and he was probably 25 at the time, living in parent's house, because "college was too stressful".

By the time I was 25 I was already locked into my carreer, recently married, shopping for my own house, and had already purchased four new cars on my own. I am so glad my parents didn't coddle me.
Same here, New Truck, house, college grad and dating my wife.
No college debt, worked my ass off before and during to pay cash.
Old December 8th, 2019, 14:52   #78
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundHouse View Post
Close enough
A car needs one computer to run the engine and that’s it
There is no need for a computer to run the heat and air
And a computer in each door to run the locks and windows in that door .

Friend of mine had a Chevrolet several years ago with a small computer in each ,,,,,, tail light .

He knew this because they were forever going bad .
I agree, computers were a huge advancement to combustion engines but computers everywhere in the car do absolutely nothing to improve it.
Old Yesterday, 06:11   #79
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
I agree, computers were a huge advancement to combustion engines but computers everywhere in the car do absolutely nothing to improve it.
Well, that depends on one's expectations.

There's a computer that takes in a bunch of sensor inputs in order to decide whether to fire seat-belt pre-tensioners and airbags and which ones to fire and when. That's safety related. ABS and ESP, also.

Do you have keyless remote entry? No one wants to use keys to lock and unlock doors any more. I get out of the car, shut the door, and press the lock button on the remote. Walking up to the car, I pick up the remote and press the unlock button. There isn't even an exposed keyhole. There's another computer to work that.

Does your alarm system give a confirmation flash of the turn signals all around when you press that lock button? There's more computer logic.

If you have an automatic transmission with more than 4 forward speeds ... For various reasons it's difficult to achieve that using purely hydraulic controls. Even those with 4 speeds usually have at least partial electronic control. Fuel economy and performance dictate electronic control. And more than three forward speeds.

Yes, cars in the past didn't have all this. The only thing electronic in my 1978 Honda Civic was the radio. But I daresay the car I have now is better than that ... and the electronics is a good part of it.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:24   #80
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

..until it isn't. And that is the problem. There is a certain point where electronics became reliable, now they just concentrate on making them cheap. So the one year throw away cell phone mentality is spilling over into everything consumer related, including cars. Appliances have already fallen off. Gone are the times where a refrigerator could last for 30+ years. I actually have one that is older than I am in my basement that I use for a party cooler... it is not running now, but the couple times a year I use it, it still works perfectly... and I think it was made in the '50s. No, it isn't "efficient", and no, it cannot make ice, or ping your cell phone with a grocery list for you, and no it has no screen on the front. But, it still works to do what a refrigerator is SUPPOSED to do: keep its contents COLD.
Old Yesterday, 06:58   #81
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Much of the consumable mentality started with the Sony Walkman. Anyone remember those? By the time the first generation hit the sales shelves, the third generation was already out of design and into field testing.
Old Yesterday, 08:38   #82
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
I actually have one that is older than I am in my basement that I use for a party cooler... it is not running now, but the couple times a year I use it, it still works perfectly... and I think it was made in the '50s. No, it isn't "efficient", and no, it cannot make ice, or ping your cell phone with a grocery list for you, and no it has no screen on the front. But, it still works to do what a refrigerator is SUPPOSED to do: keep its contents COLD.
The horror!!!

I like old bicycles a lot, when I work in NYC, I see 30-50 year old english 3 speeds locked up on the street, many have been sitting for years, but I know that with a couple inner tubes and new tires and a bit of oil, they'd ride just fine, and all 3 gears would work. There is nothing made by the bike industry today that could make such a claim.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46   #83
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yes, like my [real] French made Motobecane bike, in addition to my old Raleigh bike. Not as fancy as my Trek, but boy they sure are well made, and the parts are very well crafted.
Old Today, 07:27   #84
redbarron55
Veteran Member

Quote:
..until it isn't. And that is the problem. There is a certain point where electronics became reliable, now they just concentrate on making them cheap. So the one year throw away cell phone mentality is spilling over into everything consumer related, including cars. Appliances have already fallen off. Gone are the times where a refrigerator could last for 30+ years. I actually have one that is older than I am in my basement that I use for a party cooler... it is not running now, but the couple times a year I use it, it still works perfectly... and I think it was made in the '50s. No, it isn't "efficient", and no, it cannot make ice, or ping your cell phone with a grocery list for you, and no it has no screen on the front. But, it still works to do what a refrigerator is SUPPOSED to do: keep its contents COLD.
I have a two year old Samsung that has died and cost me a couple of hundred dollars. "Sealed System" failure.
Now to see what Samsung will do about it.
The Samsung guy hhas been by (1 1/2 weeks after failure), and He said Samsung would get in touch with me within 24 hours ( Past by a couple of hours).
The average repair time is 30 + days (If it's just a board bad)
Today's quality control.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:36   #85
kjclow
Veteran Member

When we had our GE refrig worked on, the repair man said to stay away from any of the Samsung appliances. He said, if you're lucky they will outlast the warranty. If not, then good luck on dealing with Samsung.
Old Today, 07:42   #86
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, like my [real] French made Motobecane bike, in addition to my old Raleigh bike. Not as fancy as my Trek, but boy they sure are well made, and the parts are very well crafted.
One of the guys in the group I ride with has the same model Raleigh 10 speed that I had in high school and I bought it used. I'm guessing that it was made in the late 60s. He still has the original hard leather saddle too. Bike gearing really hasn't changed much, just up and down in the number and size of gears. For me, the biggest improvements have been a more forgiving saddle and disk brakes. I can stop on a dime in any weather or when some idiot pulls out in front of me. At 60, I need a more forgiving saddle for those 50 - 100 mile days.
Old Today, 09:11   #87
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I had a Raleigh mountain bike in high school. I was a legend for being the first kid in school to swap on a rock shox front fork. Loved that bike. Must have been made of schedule 40 iron pipe though. The full suspension aluminum bike I got last year is light as a feather comparatively.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote