www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:24   #46
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Scangauge II is seriously the best . Changed the way I drive. Also coolant temps vs bs VW temp range
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:55   #47
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I used a scangauge for a while, it was especially helpful on track days. But I took it out of my car, too much info. Not necessary for daily driving, IMO. I just plug in VCDS and check for codes periodically. Rocketchip shut off the check engine light in my car so I don't see what's up otherwise.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:54   #48
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

I use the Scangauge in our GSW to monitor DPF temp so I don't interrupt regens. I'll be putting one in the new Golf too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I used a scangauge for a while, it was especially helpful on track days. But I took it out of my car, too much info. Not necessary for daily driving, IMO. I just plug in VCDS and check for codes periodically. Rocketchip shut off the check engine light in my car so I don't see what's up otherwise.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:00   #49
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I can tell when the GSW's in a regen without a tool. BMW, not so much.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:56   #50
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

An OBDII dongle and an old android phone with Torque loaded on it is far cheaper and much better in my opinion than ScangaugeII. More info can be accessed and can also clear codes and such as well. The dongle is cheap (or can be) and so are old android phones. Not hard to setup either. I keep my old phone setup in the car just for this. I always have VCDS handy on my tablet if needed but not easy to drive around with it connected.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:20   #51
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

I guess my ears aren't as good as yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I can tell when the GSW's in a regen without a tool. BMW, not so much.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 13:55   #52
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Idle speed bumps up about 50 RPM, that's the tip-off for me. If I think it's up I will listen for the fans before shutting the car down. But honestly I'm unwilling to let the car dictate when I stop and shut it down. It should be fine if I interrupt a regen now and then.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 16:14   #53
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Well, IndigoBlueWagon, you've gone and hurt my feelings ......."..too much info."..

Hmm .... well, besides Scan Gauge, below is what I monitor in my Vanagon with the ALH engine....

Top, L to R..
McNally EGT/Coolant Combo, VDO Boost/Vac, Oil Coolant Temp (temp of coolant coming out of the oil cooler)

Bottom, L to R...
Coolant System Pressure, Vacuum System Vac, Volts and Oil pressure

You can also see the Speedometer of the Jetta Cluster.

Not in view, is a small green LED light indicator that tells me when the AC Compressor is engage. Also, I have an in-line fuel pump (auxiliary, for priming) with an LED indicator light showing when it is on.

Almost forgot, and below the four-pod gauge gang I plan to install a three-pod with "before and after" combo turbo charge temp, ???? and ????? .. Obviously, not sure about those last two might be (I'll take suggestions.....)

GPS up above out of sight ....
Old December 7th, 2019, 12:03   #54
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41ish mpg post fix

Scangauge II rules. I have it in the left corner of my dash to monitor water, EGT, DFP temps and boost. I typically idle until EGT temps are down below 370F before shutting down. Also useful for more accurate water temps and regen monitoring. Cheap insurance for a long term vehicle.
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2019, 16:25   #55
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

But it costs nearly as much as the $199 VCDS. If I were to spend that kind of money I would opt for VCDS instead. Torque and a BT dongle is pretty cheap at less than $20.
Old December 7th, 2019, 17:44   #56
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Where are you getting your prices from? I'm sure you can (I did) pick up a used scangaueII for $50 on ebay. The difference is that the II has 4 read outside while the E has 2. Yea the II is 134 on amazon and about 120 on ebay but you cant complain about quality stuff for your car that saves you money fairly quickly.
ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yCe7Db15N81RK
80 bucks
And it's the new version of the scangauge.

Last edited by Mongler98; December 7th, 2019 at 17:47.
Old December 7th, 2019, 19:24   #57
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well I was quoting new prices but VCDS can be had used as well. It is much more useful than the scan gauge as well. But the OP didn't want to spend any big money so I think that rules out most things we use and takes it down to the Torque and BT dongle. For $20 you can't beat the usefulness of it. Rent or find a local owner of VCDS when you actually need the tool.
Old December 7th, 2019, 20:11   #58
Mongler98
Veteran Member

big money? some people have very low standards. To me Big money on a car is at least $1,000 for a part or something like this. $100 is still a big deal to me (heck im ticked off when i have to spend $5 on something) but i see value beyond the price for this. I jumped 5mpg better overall by having scangauge show me real time GPH and MPG. i have a lead foot apparently when normal driving.

OP just keep an eye out for deals, eBay bucks, discounts, fire sales, and so on on these parts.
every few blue moons eBay has a $20 off thing or 5% and so on. combine that with some strategic eBay purchases of things you normally buy to rack up more in ebay bucks, use befrugal to click though for a few extra % and you can really rack up a decent savings on an item that comes up used on an already good deal.
Old December 8th, 2019, 09:50   #59
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well your idea of expensive and the OP are different it seems. They expressed that even $200 was way too much. To me this means the cheapest you can get and still get the job done. Assuming you have an Android device that would be what I suggested. Hard to beat $20.