www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 27th, 2019, 02:57   #1
billiebbyy

Default MK5 : DSG Gasket/Fluid/Filter Replacement HELP?

So I’m about to do my first DSG fluid/filter change. The car is almost fifteen years old (2006) so most of the rubber has or on the brink of disintegrating... When I change the fluid, I’m also going to change the gasket but I saw a hole on the pan that has two rubber seals as well that you can see the mechatronics unit through (from the diagram I saw). I’m just curious if there is anything I need to know before getting into this job. It’s definitely due for a change so any info or DIYs you can link would be greatly appreciated. I’m just a little hesitant being that I’ve never done this before. I could get in there and it all be self explanatory, but I’d love to hear your opinions beforehand in case it isn’t. ��

Last edited by billiebbyy; December 3rd, 2019 at 00:54.
billiebbyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 12:22   #2
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Whoa Nelly!
The only gaskets you need is an aluminum ring washer for the drain plug and the o ring that comes with most filters. The front pan does not come off needlessly for a typical maintenance service. Is yours leaking?
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 00:55   #3
billiebbyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETaah View Post
Whoa Nelly!
The only gaskets you need is an aluminum ring washer for the drain plug and the o ring that comes with most filters. The front pan does not come off needlessly for a typical maintenance service. Is yours leaking?

Well ALL the rubber on the car has gone to hell; so I planned on replacing the gaskets when I do the service... that’s all. As far as I’m aware, no leak. Any DIY or advice you can give me? Lmao.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:03   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Unless there is a leak, there is no need to mess with the M-unit cover. And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.

The filter is just a simple cap with an o-ring towards the rear of the transmission, up top.

In some cases, the ATF cooler seals can leak, too. Not common though.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:56   #5
phantom1260
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.
If the connector is leaking will it cause fault codes? The dealer is telling me the leaking connector is causing a P1814 code and is there no solution other than to replace the M-Unit.

P1814 - Pressure Control Valve 1 (N215): Open/Short to Ground.
phantom1260 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:04   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The leaking connector is not causing that, but the faulty pressure control valve is, and that is part of the M-unit.

There may be some aftermarket bits available that allow you to purchase that solenoid by itself, but Volkswagen does not sell it.
Old December 5th, 2019, 21:13   #7
billiebbyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Unless there is a leak, there is no need to mess with the M-unit cover. And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.
The filter is just a simple cap with an o-ring towards the rear of the transmission, up top.
In some cases, the ATF cooler seals can leak, too. Not common though.
Really? Well damn. I figured it’d be as simple as it seemed. A couple bolts and bam! Done. So the rubber gasket shouldn’t be deteriorating like the others are? I mean, it might not see the amount of heat the engine gaskets do, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt...?
Old December 6th, 2019, 13:34   #8
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Might as well change the air in the tires while you are at it. What could it hurt?
But really, it is not a common point of failure. Ive seen a pile of these DSG cars since they came out some 15 years ago and I don't think that I have changed a gasket due to its failure. I have changed one or two because the cover rusted enough to cause problems with the seal.

Last edited by JETaah; December 6th, 2019 at 13:42.
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote