Rusty Sediment in Coolant Problems

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Hello folks.

Wow. It has been forever since the last time I have posted. I've still been reading on and off (it's good to see many of the familiar faces still here:)), but haven't posted since for the most part things have been smooth sailing for my car, until recently.

After 3 years and just over 31,000 miles since it rolled off the production line, my 2014 Passat TDI SE finally succumbed to the heater core clogging some of the other users here have experienced. I figured it would be only a matter of time before this happened to my car because only a couple of months and roughly 6000 miles after I purchased my car brand new in the beginning of 2014, my car's untouched factory coolant turned nasty orange/brown and had rusty looking sediment. Everything still worked fine, but coolant was still flushed out as a preventative measure and all was well until I noticed a loss of heat out of the far passenger side vent last week.

Heater core was replaced and coolant was (supposedly) flushed per the TSB, although I found the coolant was still a rusty orange/brown color when my car was returned. The next morning I discovered that sediment had settled in the bottom of my coolant reservoir. Car went back and the service department rolled their eyes at me while they flushed the coolant again under warranty.

Second time around, the coolant is much more pink. However, this morning I came to discover that another pile of sediment returned to my reservoir. Clearly, there is still contamination in the system. I'm not entirely sure what this stuff is, but it looks the same as the sediment others are finding in their cooling system.

What would you all recommend I do? It's obvious this cooling system is difficult to fully clean due to its complexity and lack of radiator drain--in fact, the lower radiator hose connects to the radiator far from the lowest point in the system :(. I would like to have VW fix this issue once and for all under warranty, however I'm not sure they can do much to help me since the flushes seem to be in vain.

Who has been able to get this issue fixed and how?

Thanks,

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Try try and try again. I don't think I'd let an eye roll stop me for going back, they are billing VWoA they should be thrilled they are having paying work to keep the guys busy.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
mine just clogged up as well, I changed my G13 coolant at 20k (nice pink) and again at 50K, more orange. I'm now at 80K and its all clogged up. Most think its the EGR frying the coolant and making it acidic and the heater core is the most fine part of the system so it acts like a filter. 767WRENCH (spelling?) put in a ford 6.0 coolant filter in his and has not had a single problem since.
I plan to have them fix the core- then add that inline coolant filter

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Still think its the AWIC!!!!!

At about 77K and no issues (knock on wood)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Still think its the AWIC!!!!!

At about 77K and no issues (knock on wood)
What about the AWIC do you think is causing the problem?

109,000 miles and no problems here (yet).