Will this forum exist after everyone in the US (some day Canada) takes the buyout

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Can you keep the car and drive it since it's technically not legal for road use? What happens at registration time, especially in a CARB state?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I think the article was inaccurate, since they say owners have logged into the website to file their buyback claim. Im guessing that is to either buyback OR take the money and run, the article just assumes everyone is pissed. I on the other hand love my car and am going to take my 5-6 grand i wasnt expecting and keep on driving.
I don't see anything in the article that says owners have logged in "...to file their buyback claim...". Owners have registered to receive either the buyback or the cash.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I don't see anything in the article that says owners have logged in "...to file their buyback claim...". Owners have registered to receive either the buyback or the cash.
"So it should be no surprise that when 370,000 VW TDI owners have to log into VW’s claims portal to file their BUYBACK claims, quite a few end up in a sour mood."
-It's literally in the 2nd paragraph....

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My mistake. You are correct that in the article it states "...370,000...to file their buyback claims..." However, this clearly is misleading, as later in the article is this quote from VWoA: "...To date, we have over 370,000 registrants on our settlement web site..."

Yes, the article is inaccurate, misquoting VWoA.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
You don't have to register for the fix. It will come to you. You register so you can be in line for a buyback, take it or leave it, but if you don't "register" the fix will come to you anyway, its called a recall notice.
I don't agree. You also have to register if you want to keep the car and accept the settlement money. If you don't register, you will likely get a recall notice, I agree. But you don't get your cut of the settlement without registering.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Can you keep the car and drive it since it's technically not legal for road use? What happens at registration time, especially in a CARB state?
Had you read the settlement, they *ARE* road legal, and any state that takes settlement money agrees that that will never change - fix or not . . . and, IIRC, the number of states taking the $$$ was near or above 40, so not an issue, CARB or not . . .

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Had you read the settlement, they *ARE* road legal, and any state that takes settlement money agrees that that will never change - fix or not . . . and, IIRC, the number of states taking the $$$ was near or above 40, so not an issue, CARB or not . . .

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Good news for us in Canuckistan who don't want the fix at all. Seeing how our deal is supposed to mirror yours in the US...

Regards

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I won't be going anywhere. Too much mileage penalty
I was very worried about this when my TDI was totaled. My cost per mile on my 2013 Passat TDI was 7.9c, while my 2016 Honda Accord is 6.4c. So, right now, the difference is obviously not what I expected,

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
No did not read it. So the dealers cannot sell new, unfixed ones, but private parties can sell used, unfixed ones ? Strange.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I was very worried about this when my TDI was totaled. My cost per mile on my 2013 Passat TDI was 7.9c, while my 2016 Honda Accord is 6.4c. So, right now, the difference is obviously not what I expected,
What motor in your Accord?

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
No did not read it. So the dealers cannot sell new, unfixed ones, but private parties can sell used, unfixed ones ? Strange.
The local dealers near me used their new ones (that they could not sell NEW) as courtesy / demo / employee cars for a year and then sold them as used. So yes selling used is not an issue even for dealers oddly enough.....
I just bought a used 2012 three months ago.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
The local dealers near me used their new ones (that they could not sell NEW) as courtesy / demo / employee cars for a year and then sold them as used. So yes selling used is not an issue even for dealers oddly enough.....
I just bought a used 2012 three months ago.
That's interesting... so, there may be some 2015 models out there? I would really like to get my hands on one. I am not letting go of my 2014; I have 60K on it and it has been great. I have had two road trips to Florida (14h and 17h drives, respectively, each way) and it was great. I plan on driving it until it falls apart or I move out of country for longer than 6 months (probably won't happen for several more years).

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer restriction is from VW, not the courts, and as such, affects noone else. VW will not allow a dealer to sell new or Certified Per Owned (CPO), but they can sell non CPO used without restriction.

Others can do whatever they wish . . .

- Tim

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
NSTDI: Don't know what your reasoning is behind your question. Don't know how many are pursuing buyback, but there will always be a core of NMS owners here.
Yes, just like there will always be a bunch who refuse to turn in their Samsung Note 7s:eek:. But lets just say CARB states make it illegal to drive a TDi that state, unless it has been "fixed", even if you are just passing through (Maybe a big green VW bumper sticker would signify the car is now "green" :rolleyes:). I'm not only sure they can do it, but get away with this requirement too. I would bet there will always be diehards, hardliners, fanatics or people in denial in all corners of the earth who will not give up their beloved TDi. But since VW rather extend warranties instead of recalling the car and fixing the problem(s), my guess traffic here will just be a dribble. :(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yes, just like there will always be a bunch who refuse to turn in their Samsung Note 7s:eek:. But lets just say CARB states make it illegal to drive a TDi that state, unless it has been "fixed", even if you are just passing through (Maybe a big green VW bumper sticker would signify the car is now "green" :rolleyes:). I'm not only sure they can do it, but get away with this requirement too. I would bet there will always be diehards, hardliners, fanatics or people in denial in all corners of the earth who will not give up their beloved TDi. But since VW rather extend warranties instead of recalling the car and fixing the problem(s), my guess traffic here will just be a dribble. :(
You do realize that most of the CARB states accepted settlement money from VW, right? And that in doing so, they agreed that any unfixed TDIs will still be road legal, right?

9. Registration of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles
The Beneficiary certifies, for the benefit of the parties to the Consent Decree (including the
Settling Defendants) and the owners from time-to-time of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, that upon
becoming a Beneficiary, the Beneficiary:
(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on:
i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of
claims in the Consent Decree; or
ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or
iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback,
Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.
(b) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle that has received an Approved
Emissions Modification based solely on:
i. The fact that the vehicle received the Approved Emissions Modification;
or
ii. Emissions resulting from the modification (including but not limited to the
anticipated emissions described in Appendix B to the Consent Decree); or
iii. Other emissions-related vehicle characteristics that result from the
modification; or
iv. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback,
Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.
(c) May identify 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles as having received, or not received, the
Approved Emissions Modification on the basis of VIN-specific information
provided to the Beneficiary by the Settling Defendants.
(d) Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Beneficiary may deny registration to any
Subject Vehicle on the basis that the Subject Vehicle fails to meet EPA’s or the
Beneficiary’s failure criteria for the onboard diagnostic (OBD) inspection; or on
other grounds authorized or required under applicable federal regulations
(including an approved State Implementation Plan) or under Section 209 or 177 of
the Clean Air Act and not explicitly excluded in subparagraphs 9(a)-(b).

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/871306/download

Last edited: