received heater core warranty extension today

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
In today's mail I received a warranty extension to 10 years / 120K miles for the heater core in our '13 Passat. This was denoted by VIN, so all NMS Passats may or may not be included. The letter is quite specific in the symptom— failure to heat on passenger side, which is what so many people have been experiencing.
Now for extended warranties on the DEF heater & systems and a few more things I can think of.....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yep, all of us CKRA engine code Passat owners will be getting those letters.

Now for extended warranties on the DEF heater & systems and a few more things I can think of.....
The above pipe dream probably won't be happening.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Got mine today .

I noticed at the tail end of the winter i really had to crank up heat to get any .

Would this be the heater core acting up or door not opening fully .

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Are there any updates or changes to prevent future clogging? Other than an EGR delete? Replacing the heater core should not be part of the "routine maintenance."

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
This afternoon I sent in my paperwork for my heater core replacement last Nov. We'll see how long it takes to get some money back from VW.

:)

Last edited:

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I had my 2014 in for 30K service and mentioned the pass side defrost didn't work well.
I will be getting a new core in a few weeks.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I haven't received this one yet, but I did receive the clock spring recall letter and another one for some wiring under the car. I wish they'd recall the Adblue heater.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Today I received a check from VWofA for $639.89 for reimbursement of my heater core replacement expenses last year.

:)

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
No, hhead. It's not all NMS's. I called VW of A and my vin# was not included in their extended warranty. It seems VW doesn't want to be fair and treat all customers equally. I will try a different manufacturer for my next car. VW needs better customer service.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
fricknbug99: "...It seems VW doesn't want to be fair and treat all customers equally..."

Sorry, but this just isn't the case. Any car manufacturer, keeping good records, knows exactly when changes were made in the production of their cars. They always know when they change suppliers, and therefore know, when a problem arises, which "runs" of the cars have particular problems.

Example: My very early production 2012 NMSTDI (actually a demo) developed a leaking fuel filter canister at around 10k miles. I took it in for warranty repair/replacement, and subsequently was told there was a run of a few hundred cars that had a defective gasket the wasn't seated properly.

There was no need to recall ALL NMS TDIPassats for this, as not all NMS TDI Passats were affected.

VWoA may very well have isolated which supplier was responsible for the excessive "flux" inside the radiators/heater cores that they feel was causing the problems.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
In today's mail I received a warranty extension to 10 years / 120K miles for the heater core in our '13 Passat. This was denoted by VIN, so all NMS Passats may or may not be included. The letter is quite specific in the symptom— failure to heat on passenger side, which is what so many people have been experiencing.

If it wasn't for VW sending me all these recalls, extended warranties and "We are so sorry about polluting the world so we want to buy your car back" letters, my postman would be out of work. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by fricknbug99 View Post
No, hhead. It's not all NMS's. I called VW of A and my vin# was not included in their extended warranty. It seems VW doesn't want to be fair and treat all customers equally. I will try a different manufacturer for my next car. VW needs better customer service.
I have two Jeeps. Sad thing is, I've gotten more recalls on my 2013 VW then I have on my 2011 Town and Country, 02 KJ and 09 KK (jeeps) combined. That's sad, very sad. Whats even sader is, I like the car, Nr 3 son who drives it now, loves it. But I see a money pit that is going to be worthless in a few years. Is getting 40-60mpg worth it in the long run or do I cut and run? I just hoping they will come up with a fix, that doesn't make me even more sorry I got this car.

One thing that wasn't addressed in the buyback dribble. What about us poor smucks who have owned VW's before and thought ahead and purchased a 10yr/120k mile extended warranty from VW? Do we get part of our money back on that? Highly doubt it.

Last edited:

KleenDiesel

TDI
2012 Passat
I called the Canadian customer service line yesterday as my 2012 is at the dealer now for new core because it wouldn't clear up my windshield yesterday. I did notice uneven temps left to right. The operator was very sketchy. Her questions were, "how did you find out about this, who did you hear this from?".. Wierd, I hadn't logged in to read up yet. But after 20 mins and being put on hold 3 times I thought I would read up before she come back. I found many threads on this topic for the nms's.. I hung up after thirty mins. I figured I would let the dealer do it for full labour time and parts, vw can reimburse me after. Thier loss, again.

BCPassat

TDI
2013 Passat.
I have an appointment booked for next Friday at the VW dealer I bought the car from, to have the heater core replaced.
I cannot for the life of me find the bulletin or letter from VW, could someone please upload it, or email to me?
My dealer is telling me that the replacement is free, however I have to pay for a $150 flush of the system as past of the procedure. When I asked the service advisor if this was a Dealer or Manufacturer requirement, I did not get a clear answer and did not want to push until I got the facts ahead of time.
Could some please enlighten me before the Dealer lightens my wallet?!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I would, first of all, call VWOA and put it to them: "Is it legit for the dealer to charge me a $150 flush for the heater core replacement? It's not my fault the core failed, why should I have to pay to have the cooling system flushed? It's only necessary because of the core failure, and should be absorbed along with the parts and labor to replace the core."

Second, If VWOA gives you no joy, I would tell the dealer, "I want the core replaced per the recall. Feel free to put the old coolant back in, but I WILL NOT pay you a nickel for any of this, and if the core plugs up again, I WILL BE BACK."

That is all.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I would, first of all, call VWOA and put it to them: "Is it legit for the dealer to charge me a $150 flush for the heater core replacement? It's not my fault the core failed, why should I have to pay to have the cooling system flushed? It's only necessary because of the core failure, and should be absorbed along with the parts and labor to replace the core."

Second, If VWOA gives you no joy, I would tell the dealer, "I want the core replaced per the recall. Feel free to put the old coolant back in, but I WILL NOT pay you a nickel for any of this, and if the core plugs up again, I WILL BE BACK."

That is all.
He's living in British Columbia. ?

craigtdi

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I just got my heater core replaced in London, ON at the dealer. I was only at 79000 kms but the dealer told me they extended the warranty on heater core and turbo until 2023 and 193000 kms. They flushed the coolant with no extra charge. They did try to scam me and change my brake rotors though:mad: They said the steering wheel was shaking while braking:eek: Don't they think I might know they are lying when I drive the car every day? I put my dial indicator on them and they had 0.001" total lateral runout, absolutely nothing wrong with them, shame on the STEALership! I do like having heat in this cold weather though:D

jsm172

TDI
Passat
I just got my heater core replaced in London, ON at the dealer. I was only at 79000 kms but the dealer told me they extended the warranty on heater core and turbo until 2023 and 193000 kms. They flushed the coolant with no extra charge. They did try to scam me and change my brake rotors though:mad: They said the steering wheel was shaking while braking:eek: Don't they think I might know they are lying when I drive the car every day? I put my dial indicator on them and they had 0.001" total lateral runout, absolutely nothing wrong with them, shame on the STEALership! I do like having heat in this cold weather though:D
Was your heat blowing on the driver side? My heat isnt blowing on either side which makes me nervous that it's not the heater core.

zaphod99

TDI
2013 Passat 6MT, '86 Golf D, '78 Rabbit D
Was your heat blowing on the driver side? My heat isnt blowing on either side which makes me nervous that it's not the heater core.
Mine started out with no heat on the passenger side. After some time, there was no heat on either side. Dealer replaced the heater core under the extended warranty.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I am assuming my heater core is clogged as well, no heat from passenger side. I can't remember if I received a letter or not. Is this something the dealership can pull up? 2013 TDI SEL 46k miles

thanks!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
AFAIK, no letter needed. Dealer always knows the VIN range of covered vehicles for any recalls, extended warranties, etc.

jsm172

TDI
Passat
I am assuming my heater core is clogged as well, no heat from passenger side. I can't remember if I received a letter or not. Is this something the dealership can pull up? 2013 TDI SEL 46k miles

thanks!
You can use the chat function at the VoA website and they can tell you if you have your VIN info.

craigtdi

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
JSM 172,
Started out no heat on passenger side, then eventually lost it on drivers side. Same as zaphod99.

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Started using heat this winter and no heat out passenger side. Based on the info I've read here, probably a plugged heater core. I chatted with VWoA and they said my VIN is not included in the heater core warranty extension. They said they wouldn't cover the costs as a courtesy. I don't yet have a diagnosis at the dealer. There are 74,000 miles on car.
Not sure if I want to pay to get the heater core replaced, or even get a diagnosis since it's pretty obvious what the problem is. Talked to dealer and they said they could give me a quote without doing the diagnosis, if it indeed turns out to be a heater core issue.
In the meantime, I filed a complaint on the NHTSA web site. I'm hoping that if enough of us that are excluded from the warranty extension complain, then maybe VW will expand the warranty to cover our VINs. Here's the link to file a complaint. And here's a link to my complaint. You can look at the text of my complaint and use something similar if you'd like.

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
VW is sucked they don't cover 2012 Passat.
Even per TS said - excess flux from Al calling system, and only on CKRA