Fuel filter confusion on 2010 JSW TDI

rickcrna1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Hi folks

I've read previous threads on this topic but still walk away a bit confused. It's about time for me to change the fuel filter on my 2010 JSW TDI (build date 10/09). The stock filter does have a bleed screw on top.

1) So, what information is required to determine the correct fuel filter to use? There appears to be a differentiation between early and late build dates.

2) Is it necessary for me to do anything with the bleed screw?

Many thanks

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
The dealer should be able to tell you, based upon the VIN, exactly what part number filter is required.

I'm not sure whether the 2010 fuel filter housing includes a priming pump or not: my 2001 TDI does not, but there's one on my 2005 Jeep. The former also lacks a bleeder on the top, but the latter has one.

In either case, you will want to fill the filter with fuel before zipping it up. If the filter housing has a primer pump, you would open the bleed screw, pump the pump until you get fuel out of it, then close it.

If you don't fill the filter before trying to start the engine, guess what? It likely won't start until after you've damaged the IP and injectors and killed the battery cranking it.