Grill Guard or Bull Bar for Jetta MK4???

rshelton

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG, '09 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec
I've done lots of searches and cant find any grill guards or similar things for the 02 Jetta TDi or any Jetta for that matter. Anyone have any leads? I drive at night with lots of deer so I'm looking for at least a little defense against them!

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
I've seen one on a honda cr-v before...I suppose it's not out of the question.

buttonfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Ed's TDI said:
Instead of building and installing a "cow-catcher' on the Jetta, try installing one of these, or a similar product.

http://www.deerwhistle.com/

Cheaper and a bit more discreet! :rolleyes:
But they don't work. My mom lives in a community with a whole bunch of retired people. These deer whistles were must have on the pensioners' mad mod lists a couple of years ago. Until a) two drivers with whistles on their cars hit deer within a week; and b) my mom was riding in a car with the whistles, and a herd (10-12) slowly walked out in front of the car. It was almost like the deer were looking around, "what's that sound? I must get closer. . . . "

Anyway,
if anyone DOES find brush guard / bull bar / 'roo bar for an A4, let me know. The wagon needs one for collision protection; mounting of driving/fog lights; and a point to secure the bow of the canoe when I have it on the roof.

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
checked out the link... that looks like just the mounting hardware for the cheap price. a quick google search for 'dakar bar' brought this up...

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Rampage_DakarBars.htm

so.. buy the bar for 156-233 and then the mounting hardware for 53$.

and i know it's not really a grill guard, but there is a member of this site who makes a pretty nifty light bar that would help you see the deer, instead of just blocking against them..

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=159598&highlight=light+bar

hope that helps.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I have searched but haven't come up with anything good. I have an idea for how to mount one up but don't have a welder and brother who has a welder is busy.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I have an idea for how to mount one up but don't have a welder and brother who has a welder is busy.
I'm curious about this. I can't think of a way to mount one that wouldn't drastically reduce the already low front ground clearance or hack up the bumper cover.

The underlying issue with a truely effective grill guard for a Mk IV is the mounting. Being a uni-body car, a grill guard would effectively bypass the existing bumper and put impact forces directly to the chassis. While this sounds great in theory, bear in mind the forward areas of the chassis are designed to deform under any load that gets past the bumper components. As a result, a deer hit that might normally just need some exterior panels fixed may incur more extensive uni-body damage.

This is different than a grill guard for a body-on-frame truck as in those applications, the guard often attaches to the frame using the bumper mounts, so the impact forces are roughly the same.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I've done lots of searches and cant find any grill guards or similar things for the 02 Jetta TDi or any Jetta for that matter. Anyone have any leads? I drive at night with lots of deer so I'm looking for at least a little defense against them!
Sent PM

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
But they don't work. My mom lives in a community with a whole bunch of retired people. These deer whistles were must have on the pensioners' mad mod lists a couple of years ago. Until a) two drivers with whistles on their cars hit deer within a week; and b) my mom was riding in a car with the whistles, and a herd (10-12) slowly walked out in front of the car. It was almost like the deer were looking around, "what's that sound? I must get closer. . . . "

Anyway,
if anyone DOES find brush guard / bull bar / 'roo bar for an A4, let me know. The wagon needs one for collision protection; mounting of driving/fog lights; and a point to secure the bow of the canoe when I have it on the roof.
PM sent

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
What are you PMing people? I am still in this thought here on this all. Now that I live closer to my brother the guard might become a real thing. I was thinking of using a c channel attached to the diesel geek skid plate mounting. Basically I am no looking to stop a full sized buck that hits the car. That can't be done. I have seen them total a full sized truck where there was no grill left, the bumper, both fenders and the hood all curled inward toward the engine with fluids leaking everywhere. That is at 65 witha buck. And the airbags blew out. I am looking to either help deflect the blow or at least make it so you could drive home still. Also could tie into the bumper if willing to put a couple holes into the plastic. The cop cars with unibodies can get away with it so it can be done. I left the mine too soon but the new ford car they had after 3 deer hits there was a shop in town making a custom grill guard.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
There was that guy who made a custom belly plate for his NB that wrapped up around the nose of the car.

04TDI

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
ok the only way to protect against a deer is to make an exocage on the front.... so with that an idea would be to run a cross bar from the strut towers and then bars out between the grill and hood to give you a top mount and support and then in the lower grill use the frame area by the tow hook to give front support then run it under the car to the lower suspension sub frame mounts as like a skid plate......
Heres a quick drawing.....

clove5

TDI
99.5 golf 1.9l, white, two door
MKIV golf bull bar

im looking for something that fits like this:

I have a lift kit on the car already.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Grill guard/Light bar

Send me your email address and I'll send you a pic of my solution to the same issue

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Pic

Or better yet, post it here for everyone to see....

I wish I could, but in all the years that I have been on this forum I've failed MISERABLY, so I gave up. FWIW, in my career, I HAVE to follow details and directions, so I'm not lazy that way, I just can't get pics posted.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I wish I could, but in all the years that I have been on this forum I've failed MISERABLY, so I gave up. FWIW, in my career, I HAVE to follow details and directions, so I'm not lazy that way, I just can't get pics posted.
Upload to photobucket.
Select the img one, see my image (how meta is this?)
Paste it it here.

Boom!