Powering on a disconnected RNS-510

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I did a search, but didn't find anything directly relevant, and Google was not helpful either.

I'm going to sell my RNS-510, and I wanted to take pictures of it powered on and (at least) showing the versions screen. It's not installed right now, and reinstalling it just for that would be a major chore.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated, and if I've missed a thread or something a link there would also be fine.

Thanks!

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I wonder if it would even let you navigate to the version screen without the can bus connected? Again, this doesn't help your situation, but just another thing to think about before going through the trouble.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It takes all of 5 minutes to swap out the radio, why not just install it real quick to get the pics you need?

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It takes all of 5 minutes to swap out the radio, why not just install it real quick to get the pics you need?
It's not a five minute job. I'd have to take off the dash trim, remove the Pioneer, remove all the adapters and harnesses, hook up the RNS-510, do the pictures, then reverse the process.

I may pop by the shop that put the Pioneer in and see if they have a bench where I could do it if I slipped them a few bucks.

My other option would be to do it when I remove the Pioneer right before the buyback, but I was going to use the money to pay for my registration renewal and property taxes.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It is a 5 minute job.

How long does it take to remove the dash trim? Let me tell you. 30 seconds.

How long does it take to remove the radio and unplug the harness? 90 seconds? maybe 2 minutes. Ok, Worst case scenario 5 minutes. You dont need to undo all of the harnesses and adapters or secure the radio in just to get the pictures. Just unclip the main quadlock harness and plug it into the radio.

Ok, So if you dont know what you are doing, it will take more than 5 minutes.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There's a diagram for the pins on the top of the radio. You need to have power on the two positive pins and ground the negative. If you have a 2013 it's probably a revision G. If it's not in the car that it was previously installed in then it's going to ask you for the security code too.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
2x on just hooking it up to the car. There's no chance to hook something up wrong and blow up the radio. Pulling the NMS dash trim is super easy.

-J

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
2x on just hooking it up to the car. There's no chance to hook something up wrong and blow up the radio. Pulling the NMS dash trim is super easy.
Since my buyback is set for 2/2, maybe I'll wait and do that when I take the Pioneer out. When I posted the thread it was unclear when that was going to happen, so I didn't know if I wanted to wait however long that would be.

I may also just try it w/o powered-on pics, and if I can't get an amount I'm comfortable with I'll go that route.

How much are you asking for it?
It looks like used ones are going for $600-ish on eBay, so that's what I'll shoot for. One nice thing is that the Sirius trial never got turned off, so there's free satellite radio! :)