www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 7th, 2018, 18:36   #6992
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Being such a specific bumper, I truly hope they had a b4 wagon in white. They took it off in daylight on a Sunday, I really doubt Iíll see that bumper again.
Trying to find any replacement will be tough.

How bad does it look without a bumper? Drive it or park it for months?

(Still canít get these pictures to be right side up)

This bumper?? 3A5 807 301 L GRU
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...er-03b80b.html
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 22:21   #6994
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Made a trip to the JY today. Of course it was like the hottest day of the month but I had finally decided I wanted to change to the sport seats in the wagon. I knew these were there, they had been for quite a while and as such they're dirty! I will need to spend some considerable time cleaning these though.

I also picked up an additional seat cushion to replace the driver which has a tiny hole in it and a base so the passenger seat has height adjustment too which it didn't have from the factory. I also bought some additional black fabric just like these from a couple cars where the seat backs had been protected.

I also bought the rear seats so if I eventually decide to use these in the Jetta TDI I'll have the rear cushions in this striped pattern, and, unlike the seats I have now in the Jetta TDI, which are from a 97 GT, These are split 60/40 in back which is what I always wanted.

While the bottoms can be pretty easily dismantled for cleaning, the upper sections with the big bolsters are always a pain to take the covers off of. I might just clean the uppers with fabric still installed, then again I wouldn't be able to install the heating elements that I'd like to install in these.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:51   #6995
lisab4
Veteran Member

Nice catch! Please post an after pic
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:39   #6996
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisab4 View Post
Nice catch! Please post an after pic
Will do, this car came up for sale locally two years ago but the owner claimed he couldn't get a title for it because he never transferred it then lost it. I looked at the car, and arguably the seats were much cleaner back then but didn't want to risk the non-title situation. When the JY I frequented ended up with it I wasn't sure how they did it without title except that they could declare it abandoned I suppose.

If the car would have been spotless I might have bought it and converted to diesel, it was 95 Golf Sport (GTI in all but name) with 2.0L but had AT so that made things worse and it had some rust underneath and appeared to have been in an accident too. It also had bad AT.

I also managed to snag two perfect Mk3 tilt column clamshells too, those are now unobtainium!!

Steve

Old August 10th, 2018, 15:30   #6997
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Steve- were you planning on using the factory heat pads or aftermarket? Been hearing a lot of decent stuff about the new carbon stuff.

I’ll start looking at those clamshells... Rotbox needed one and I found one in the JY. I didn’t realize they were rare or sought after.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 16:03   #6998
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Steve- were you planning on using the factory heat pads or aftermarket? Been hearing a lot of decent stuff about the new carbon stuff.

I’ll start looking at those clamshells... Rotbox needed one and I found one in the JY. I didn’t realize they were rare or sought after.

-Todd
Todd
I was planning on using the OE heating pads since I have a complete set of seats from this car originally that has heat pads and I'm not going to use them ever again.

Interesting about the carbon stuff, send me a link for those if you can, I'd be interested in replacements that are new so there's less opportunity for future failure.

The clamshells tend to break when you take the screws out. The small posts that the screws go in to are too slender and they fracture too easily. I've been able to get them undone by taking my sweet time and being very gentle removing the screws. Too quick a turn will snap the post off and then you're done.

They aren't rare so much as they are just hard to get intact now with most of them breaking after being taken off a couple times.

The crop of Mk3's (at least in this area) is starting to dwindle pretty significantly and so I'm taking this opportunity to snag any of that stuff that's high demand and known to be low availability. I probably have three or four of the clamshells in unbroken condition now.

My local Upull JY here has zero Mk3 cars right now and the only one that's coming is a disaster of a 97 Mk3 Golf that was in the parking lot last time I was there. The other JY 35 minutes out of town, that I worked for during 2015, still has about 8 Mk3 cars that are there for the picking. I plan to scavenge anything from those that I can since I know from past experience that they often crush willy nilly, like they did with the B3's and B4's, which are now all gone..:-(

Steve

Old August 10th, 2018, 17:05   #6999
ToddA1
Veteran Member

The carbon pads are the ones that are all over eBay or Amazon. I’ll send a link, if needed. The main thing that sets the pricing seems to be the switch options.

I wanted to get a set for the project and also swap the pads in the B4s. I won’t do the B4s, until I figure out how to get them to work with the factory switches. Supposedly many people have gotten them to work... there’s something about cutting a thermistor out and maybe adding a resistor. Been a while since I looked into it....

I spoke with a guy who ran them in his air cooled VWs and mentioned they work better than the heated seats in his newer VWs.

-Todd
Old August 10th, 2018, 17:29   #7000
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
The carbon pads are the ones that are all over eBay or Amazon. Iíll send a link, if needed. The main thing that sets the pricing seems to be the switch options.

I wanted to get a set for the project and also swap the pads in the B4s. I wonít do the B4s, until I figure out how to get them to work with the factory switches. Supposedly many people have gotten them to work... thereís something about cutting a thermistor out and maybe adding a resistor. Been a while since I looked into it....

I spoke with a guy who ran them in his air cooled VWs and mentioned they work better than the heated seats in his newer VWs.

-Todd
I'll take a look, let me know if you run into the info on how to adapt to factory switches, I won't do the aftermarket pads unless I can keep the OE VW B3 dash rheostat controls.

STeve

Old August 11th, 2018, 04:58   #7001
ToddA1
Veteran Member

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...d+seats&page=7

Starts at post 94. It’s about the A4 chassis, but I think the info may be relevant.

If you make headway with it, please share the info.

-Todd
Old August 11th, 2018, 15:41   #7002
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Well, something is up with the Rotbox. Went to start it, to ease edging the lawn, and it had a dead battery. No big deal, I grabbed the Noco jump pack and cranked and cranked and cranked.... no bueno.

I didnít see any fuel moving in the clear line, so I grabbed the vacuum pump to prime the IP. I was thinking it leaked down, but fuel flowed immediately. System is tight...

I wasnít seeing smoke at the tailpipe and rain was coming in, so I packed it in, so I could finish the yard work. Iíll scan it later.

I put the battery on a charge and was only seeing 4v and 30% capacity, which doesnít really surprise me. Itís an old battery and the car hasnít been started in over a month. Need to get better at that or at least hook up the solar panel.

This Noco GB70 is a beast. I had another LiPo jump pack that was garbage.... this bad boy cranked that engine at least 10x, without breaking a sweat. Before I bought it, I borrowed one my body shop had. I disconnected the battery, hooked the Noco up and it started the car, with the Noco acting as the main battery.... I was sold.

-Todd
Old August 12th, 2018, 14:16   #7003
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Started the icky process of cleaning the striped bucket seats. I knew they would be dirty, but I didn't know it would be this awful. The yuck in the diver seat base cover came out in a flood of dirty water..

Since this is the cover that has to go to the upholstery shop I wanted it cleaned first. I'd already gotten to them with a vacuum so they were significantly better than they were the day I brought them home however, the water does not lie!

The small inset photo is of the sink water before immersing the cover.

I can't wait to see this seat cover dry, I'm just praying that everything comes out. Also oils tend to remove color from fabrics when they're washed out and I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Addy; August 12th, 2018 at 14:18.
Old August 12th, 2018, 17:14   #7004
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Doesn’t really surprise me... that’s decades of sweat, body oils, and other garbage that accumulates over the years. I doubt they ever got the full treatment that you’re doing.

Got back to the Rotbox. Charged the battery overnight and reinstalled it. I didn’t see smoke at the tailpipe yesterday, nor did I see the CEL or GP lights with key on diagnostic, today. Pulled the black 109 and worked it back and forth with no change. Installed a gray 109 that’s been in the B4V’s glove box, for a few years. Car started instantly.

Odd that a relay fails from sitting, but whatever. Opened it up and it smelled a little burned. I may just solder the coil closed or shim it with some solid core and toss it back in the glovebox.

Drove the car a few miles, filled it with fuel, cleaned out some trash, hosed off the floor mats and pulled the front wheels.... I had to deadblow them off. I was hearing a rotational noise, that I was thinking was a dust shield, but it wasn’t. I’ll pull the calipers and inspect the sliders, later.

Wire wheeled the galvanic corrosion from the hubs and the wheel center bores. Applied a thin coat of anti seize and parked it. I also installed the solar panel.

The B4V will need to go back the body shop, soon. Today, I caught my buddy’s retaining wall paver cap while backing into his crazy narrow driveway. The right door and fender got gouged. It would have been better if it were the left side, since I was planning on getting that fender’s rusted lip fixed. Luckily, the damage is below the trim, and the work can be minimized. I want to get 2 areas of clear coat repaired, also.

Not how I want to spend my hard earned money, but I can’t drive it, looking like this.

-Todd
Old August 12th, 2018, 18:21   #7005
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Being such a specific bumper, I truly hope they had a b4 wagon in white. They took it off in daylight on a Sunday, I really doubt Iíll see that bumper again.
Trying to find any replacement will be tough.

How bad does it look without a bumper? Drive it or park it for months?

(Still canít get these pictures to be right side up)

I purchased a fender from this ebay.de seller -- they have a white B4V rear bumper at link FYI:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Stosstange-h...kAAOSw2xRYP-w-
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote