www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 10th, 2018, 10:06   #1
Hasenwerk

Default MK5 Jetta Radiator Fans - how to trigger?

I installed a 2009 Jetta MK5 (CBAA) radiator and intercooler in my 2001 ALH Ranger. The intercooler works fantastic and everything fits in my Ranger with minimal work.

The issue that I am having is what signal is needed to turn on the fans?

There is a four position plug - a heavy red and brown wire, which is 12V and GND respectively, and there are two light gauge wires BL/Y and something else as my color memory from yesterday is poor. I originally thought, seeing how they are 1mm wires, that they are a simple ground trigger for the MOSFET inside the two fans... however, grounding or putting 12V on these wires does not turn on the fan.

What signal is needed to turn the fans on?
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 16:02   #2
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Most fan controllers in VW/audi land use a PWM signal. My experience is with audi, and they operate as such...

Load reduction ignition power on one of the small leads, usually red with a tracer, and a PWM signal on the other. A PWM of at least 10% duty cycle must be present within about 10 seconds of applying power to the controller or the fans will default to full speed. The PWM carrier is around 25hz as I recall. The duty cycle varies from about 10% (fans stopped) to 90% (full speed).
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:19   #3
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
Most fan controllers in VW/audi land use a PWM signal. My experience is with audi, and they operate as such...

Load reduction ignition power on one of the small leads, usually red with a tracer, and a PWM signal on the other. A PWM of at least 10% duty cycle must be present within about 10 seconds of applying power to the controller or the fans will default to full speed. The PWM carrier is around 25hz as I recall. The duty cycle varies from about 10% (fans stopped) to 90% (full speed).
Neat... MOSFETs, now the question is how easy would it be to bypass that and just use the MOSFET to be an 100% on - off switch...

MK4 and MK5 radiators behave the same ?
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:14   #4
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Mk1-Mk4 radiators fans are the same... dumb motors. Mk5 is PWM.

A quick search turned up this site, looks like it has a ton of info: https://golf2lin.wordpress.com/featu...r-fan-control/

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 14:37   #5
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Mk1-Mk4 radiators fans are the same... dumb motors. Mk5 is PWM.

A quick search turned up this site, looks like it has a ton of info: https://golf2lin.wordpress.com/featu...r-fan-control/

-J
Yup - good information there - your Google skills are better than mine!

25Hz, 15% to 95% duty cycle. Simple microcontroller!
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:16   #6
Hasenwerk

Just going to close the loop here and say that I have everything working.

There are 4 wires:
Heavy: 12V and GND > these go to the battery
Light: 12V switched and Speed via a 25Hz, 5% to 95% duty cycle change

If you want the fans to run without a controller it is possible. The 12V and GND are of course needed, if you apply 12V to the 12V switched wire (mine was BL/Y) for about 10 to 12 seconds and leave the remaining wire open, the fans will come on, and go from low to full in about 5 seconds more and stay at full.

A controller (simple microcontroller / Arduino) would be nice for different speeds, but if you just want to have a rad fan on for a hot engine in stop and go traffic or off-road situations, then "100%" will do just fine!