alarm horn replaced but still weak ?

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
The horn on my wife's car was pretty weak when locking/unlocking the doors so I decided to replace it.

Same thing, I don't have the old crisp ''beep'' sound !
It sounds more like a ''woump '' !

In case you ask, to ones in the bumper both work like new when pressing on the steering wheel.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Luc
Mtl, Canada

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
vwluca said:
(snip) In case you ask, to ones in the bumper both work like new when pressing on the steering wheel. (snip)
__. Interesting ... the horns on my car quit working (the horns in the bumper controlled by the steering wheel pad) so I replaced them with the horn suggested by "Paramedick" in another thread. When I took the stock horns off, I found that someone had installed them with the "bell" of the horns facing upward so that both horns were full of water! No wonder they quit working. (I recently had the front bumper replaced as part of a deer hit repair -- the old bumper cover had been repaired before I got it with a fiberglass cloth repair on its back side, also the radiator support bracket had some hex-head screws and some Torx screws so I'm guessing that the car had had a front end repair before I got it and the "up in the air" horn position was not the factory setting but a mis-setting by a sloppy body shop repairman.)

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Alarm horn

vwluca said:
The horn on my wife's car was pretty weak when locking/unlocking the doors so I decided to replace it.
Same thing, I don't have the old crisp ''beep'' sound !
It sounds more like a ''woump '' !
In case you ask, to ones in the bumper both work like new when pressing on the steering wheel.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Luc
Mtl, Canada
When you replaced the Alarm horn, did you make sure of a clean ground? Also did you spray electrical contact cleaner on connections?