Filings in oil r5 tdi

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk4, touareg 2.5, octavia 2.0 8v, boats x2
Hello

Have bought a cheap 2003 r5 tdi which was unloaded due to metal shavings in the filter. Price paid will allow for a profit wrecking for parts if necessary but would be nice to keep it alive. Has done over 300000 km's but very tidy. vcds scan shows no codes. I have done plenty of engine conversions, timing belts etc but my experience actually inside engines is limited to a pd130 headgasket replacement. Engine still starts/runs as normal with no funny noises. replacement r5 or paying for a rebuild is out of the question ($$$) what would be the most likely culprit for the metal filings and how involved would a diy repair likely be? I am confident with the engine removal if necessary. Option b is to drive it until it dies then look at swapping a more available engine in(highly tuned 2.0?) although i understand the bellhousing pattern is different and would involve a new gbox + fab work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
First step is to figure out what kind of metal it is. That will point you in the correct direction to properly identify the failure.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Not sure which used oil analysis resources are available in NZ but here in the US Blackstone can tell pretty accurately what the source of metal in the oil is. If it is indeed filings that appear in the filter (as opposed to very fine particles suspended in the used oil) then severely worn parts such as camshaft(s)/followers - the easiest to access, timing gear bits - harder to get at, or bits of main, rod of other bearings - hardest to get at; should be examined.

FinnTouareg

TDI
Touareg R5 2006
As just blind shooting; one of the metal source options can in my opinion be a worn out water pump which locates at the rear of engine, inside the motor. It may also cause an internal coolant leak which may dilute the engine oil and cause exceptional metal wearing in what so ever bearing surface.

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Finn

Will keep that in mind, oil doesn't appear diluted. have replaced the camshaft but does appear to still be generating filings unless they were hiding somewhere other than the sump which i cleaned out. Vehicle still runs perfectly fine i had decided to drive it until it dies if it turned out to be the cylinder lining as i don't have much money in the vehicle and a new motor/rebuild is $$$. filings do appear to be magnetic would anyone know if the plasma coating would have that affect on aluminium?

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Fourdiesel, so in that case would you think i could safely say it's not the cylinder lining?

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
I am quite sure that those particles are NOT from the cylinders. That does not guarantee the cylinder lining is OK, just that that material didn't come from the liner.

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just came across this thread and thought id update it in case anyone ever came across a similar problem. Turned out to be the bearings in the water pump had given up allowing the gear to rub on the pump mounting bolts(gear driven water pump being within oil system) new pump and cleaned out the sump and its still running 2 years and 50k later. Im sure it wont forever after eating all that metal but we'll see. Also water pump is replaceable without dropping gearbox its just unpleasant!

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Thanks for the update! Interesting and useful - even though R5s don't exist here in the USA.
Putting another type of engine in one of these has GOT to be a big job - wire harness work and everything.

Cheers