www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 9th, 2017, 19:27   #1
Mocontreras

Default Engine revved by itself after hard acceleration

Took our 2003 jetta 1.9 tdi out and after a hard acceleration the engine revved really high on it's own until it died. It took a bit to get it started back up, but we were able to drive it the mile home. It seemed to run fine the rest of the way home. The next day my gf noticed it was smoking so she parked it. I took it for a ride after work and noticed a whitish grey smoke. It seemed to have lost power. I took it back home and parked it. I pulled the glow plugs and the number 2 and 3 seemed to be burnt. I replaced them and it still smokes pretty bad. I checked to turbo on the air side and it spins freely with no play. I'm at a loss and live on an island with no vw mechanic. Please help.
Mocontreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 19:53   #2
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 2x that of my TJ

My thinking is that there was oil built up in the intercooler and the hard acceleration caused it to be carried into the intake tract to be ingested by the engine thereby causing somewhat of a runaway condition. The possibility exists that the lingering smoke may be caused by residual oil still being ingested by the engine. May also be that you have some bent rods from the engine trying to compress a fluid that cannot be compressed. Are you able to run a compression check?
What did your turbo look like when you checked? Oil seals intact?

Sent from my mobile look-at device

"Those willing to sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:44   #3
steve6
Veteran Member

You need to get a compression test done, it will tell you you most likely bent cylinder 2 and/or 3 rods, unfortunate.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 16:33   #4
Mocontreras

The turbo had a white discolored fin on it. I ordered a compression tester for it and I'm just waiting until that gets here. I hope it's just the turbo
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:22   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

If it runs better when warmed up then it's most likely bent rods. Lowered compression means less combustion (white smoke); it's made worse when the engine is cold (when cylinder temps are low).
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:21   #6
Mocontreras

Still no compression tester. The exhaust really smells of unburnt fuel. Hopefully compression tester will be here in the next day or 2. How can you find out of its a bent rod or bad valve?
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:56   #7
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Look at them, either pull the oil pan or pull the head and measure protrusion (best). It sounds like you've had a bit of hydrolock (always bad) when it ingested the stuff in the piping. Turbo might be O.K, but engine likely suffered damage.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:04   #8
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Did you check your oil level?
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:21   #9
Mocontreras

Oil level seemed fine. The turbo also seems to be ok. I can't really pull the head. I don't have a garage to park the cat and if it turns out to be a bent rod. I don't have the expertise to take car of that. I live on a remote island and would have to toe the car onto a ferry and then tow it to a shop. Is there any easy way to get a good idea of what's going on?
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:35   #10
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocontreras View Post
Oil level seemed fine. The turbo also seems to be ok. I can't really pull the head. I don't have a garage to park the cat and if it turns out to be a bent rod. I don't have the expertise to take car of that. I live on a remote island and would have to toe the car onto a ferry and then tow it to a shop. Is there any easy way to get a good idea of what's going on?
Oil level good is a good sign, means it didn't get much, just the 1/4 cup or whatever that collects in the piping. Easiest first step is compression check.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:55   #11
Mocontreras

I'm new to the diesel world. I'm not sure what a hydrolock is
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:20   #12
steve6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocontreras View Post
I'm new to the diesel world. I'm not sure what a hydrolock is
When you take in more liquid than you should into the combustion chamber and it cant be compressed anymore, it bends components(typically the connecting rod as its the weakest link).
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 01:12   #13
UhOh
Veteran Member

To be more precise, hydro-lock is the condition in which mechanical motion is stopped/impeded* due to a fluid obstruction. Oil, water, and even fuel in too high of a quantity in the combustion chamber that impedes the full compression stroke of the rod+piston will result in a hydrolock condition. Combustion chamber on these engines is pretty small, doesn't take a lot of excess fluids to get into trouble.

* It's possible that the engine's rotation isn't totally stopped, that the rod gets bent just a little, enough to give some "relief" to accommodate the mildly excessive fluids (which can then manage to get pushed out the exhaust valve). No matter how much the rod gets bent the compression test will almost always tell you whether an engine encountered a hydrolock condition.
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 17:32   #14
Mocontreras

Thanks. I've finally got my compression tester. I'm going to try and get it done tomorrow. Any tips on doing the compression test? The tester I have used the glow plug hole.
Old August 13th, 2017, 18:33   #15
csstevej
Veteran Member

Please make sure it's for a diesel and not the gas version.......the gas version pressures are lower than the diesel version.