www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 12th, 2017, 19:54   #466
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

The value works based on mileage at the time of turn in, not mileage at the time of filing the paperwork, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 19:58   #467
gcodori
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwood View Post
I'm considering 4/2/2018 because that is the month the registration will be due along with a CA required "smog test" that I am presuming would be failed without the "modification." An earlier "modification" or "buyback" date 8/26/2017 results in a smaller restitution payment of $5906.73 for "modification" and $20506.73 for "buyback." So it seems like it is better to delay until shortly before the required "smog" test.
You'll never fail a test without the fix. It's designed to cheat the test.

And you'll get a sticker with reduced emission requirements if you do get the fix.

Lastly, any state that accepts the settlement can NOT deny you registration because of the diesel issue, fix or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old August 12th, 2017, 20:46   #468
Kevinski4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
no one seems to know for sure. guesses include that the DPF will crack from thermal stress which is made worse in some operating modes and sequences.

folks have driven just fine for close to 250,000 miles, cleaned the DPF and then driven on.

others have had the DPF crack and leak soot which clogs up the egr and throws codes at 60k or so.
We do know for sure, they crack because they are oval, not round, so they expand differently between the long side and short side. Run it through enough heat cycles and it will crack. Based on what I've seen, I'd estimate the number of TDI DPFs that have made it to 250k to be in the hundreds, while the number of those that have cracked before 200k to be way into the 10's of thousands. All the really low failures I've seen (<50k) have been cars with aftermarket intakes. Throws off the MAF signal and a cracked DPF is the result.

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel
Full Jeep Liberty CRD service!
Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 22:52   #469
fastalan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
We do know for sure, they crack because they are oval, not round, so they expand differently between the long side and short side. Run it through enough heat cycles and it will crack. Based on what I've seen, I'd estimate the number of TDI DPFs that have made it to 250k to be in the hundreds, while the number of those that have cracked before 200k to be way into the 10's of thousands. All the really low failures I've seen (<50k) have been cars with aftermarket intakes. Throws off the MAF signal and a cracked DPF is the result.
For years I have this suspicion that intercooler moisture might contribute to gradual DPF weakening. You have this lump of water ingested into the engine under hard throttle application, forces through the hot DPF and expel out of the exhaust pipe as huge cloud of steam. Imagine spraying hot water over high temperature ceramics and now repeat this process hundreds of times over the life of the DPF....
fastalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:50   #470
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post

Thanks,

That makes sense.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 11:42   #471
Jentry

Is there a deadline to get the "fix"? I'd like to wait as long as possible.

Also, what if I don't get the fix? Will I be unable to register/smog my car in the future? I assume I won't get the $5,100 without the fix.
Jentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:43   #472
duratitus
Veteran Member

The last day you can register to get the fix under the settlement is 9/1/18, and VW has to perform the modification before 1/1/2019.

You will not fail the smog test if you never get the fix. And yes, you would not collect any money unless you accepted the modification or buyback.
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 16:26   #473
sriracha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
No more so than if you get the fix.
My concern is if a part fails, on my unfixed TDI, that would've been upgraded with the fix, specifically the NOX cat. Even though they don't seem to be a common failure in the CR TDI, that is my concern.

Since there is not a new DPF included with the fix, I'm assuming those parts will be available in the future, and be the same for a fix or unfixed TDI?
sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 18:12   #474
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

VW has issued disclaimers about parts availability in the event that you keep the car and don't get the fix done, but it presumably pertains only to components directly involved in the fix. For example, the original (non-compliant) LNT (NOx catalyst) will be discontinued, as will the original ECU with the original (non-compliant) programming. (The ECU hardware will remain the same, but the software programmed onto it will not be.)

I don't recall ANYone ever having issues with the NOx catalyst on these cars, so it is probably a non-issue in the real world. And even if it does fail, the consequence will be that you are obliged to get the fix installed on the car. Bear in mind that if you wait until after the deadlines listed above, VW will no longer be obligated to pay you anything, even if they have to install the fix hardware and software in order to keep you on the road.

The only thing that I can foresee with the ECU if you don't get the fix done, is that let's suppose a couple years down the road there's some sort of issue that turns up which requires the ECU to be reflashed. The original non-fix software will no longer be supported, so at that time, in order to fix whatever the issue is, they'll be obligated to install the fix hardware and software, and since you neglected until after the program end date, they're not obligated to pay you anything.

Just get it done if you want to keep the car ... That's the whole intent of the way it's set up ... It's not VW's fault if you procrastinate; this is another lever to encourage you to get the fix installed if you want to keep the car.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 18:30   #475
pebjr

Quick question.
I have a 2009 jetta tdi that is stock other than the adding the kits from 2micron, the "Contain Flow filter and the Pureflow kit."
Since this modification is in fuel system do you believe I will need to have those removed for "Emission Recall " or don't worry about it since it doesn't involve the emission system.
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 19:07   #476
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

It shouldn't be a problem in theory, but personally I would remove anything that isn't stock in order to remove any possible excuses.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:27   #477
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

If the warranty is the same as Gen3 car. The DPF is covered. If your DPF is cracked they should replace it.

Now if they make you pay for the DPF. It is a wash after the settlement money. And now you use loose MPG after the fix and smaller pay back.

Sounds like I will fix my cracked DPF and keep my mileage increase and power from my RC1.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:10   #478
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Well dang, I was hoping for a new DPF not just the LNT on my 2011.

Anyone still waiting for the portal to allow for scheduling of your fix?

Quote:
Schedule Your Appointment

The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle.
Been showing it still till 8/14/17
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 12:47   #479
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I just finished my paperwork yesterday. I was waiting on the fix announcement to make the final decision between buyback and fix. I'm opting for the fix and the $5000 in my pocket.
Old August 14th, 2017, 15:02   #480
StayPuff
Veteran Member

See my post, #12 here. I asked about existing problems when I scheduled my appointment.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...0&goto=newpost
StayPuff is offline   Reply With Quote