www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 11th, 2017, 14:03   #196
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

That's a copy and paste from his corvette conversion post.

Funny thing...maybe doing all this "wasted time" of work equals bonding time and memories with those who you do it with....

Funny thing my Mom just wrapped up her 5th round of cancer... all different types... rare they say... and now its been 30 years worth of it... she never had that attitude... The only one is her claim on my conversion and her desires to see it back on the road so she can enjoy it.
Hmm.. kinda makes it all worth it to me!

OEM's build for the masses. What we do is make something unique, one off. I don't want to be remembered as one of a million.... I want to be one in a million!

Last edited by All Stock; August 11th, 2017 at 16:36.
All Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:09   #197
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Stock View Post

Funny thing...maybe doing all this "wasted time" of work equals bonding time and memories with those who you do it with....

Funny thing my Mom just wrapped up her 5th round of cancer... all different types... rare they say... and now its been 30 years worth of it... she never had that attitude... The only one is her claim on my conversion and her desires to see it back on the road so she can enjoy it.
I noticed it on that post too and I was going to call him on it here, but I didn't want to be that guy. The things you learn and people you meet along the way doing some of these projects is priceless. Also the feeling of accomplishment when you sort something on your list of things to fix is nice too.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:44   #198
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Lot's of wisdom in the above. My better half keeps telling me just go buy a new car and have fun. But I tell her I do like puttering with this car crap. The kids are very much into their own stuff. Still, a whole lot of wisdom in the above post.
wisdom? more like whizzz dumb
schnellvw.com
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 19:22   #199
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyc4 View Post
I used to be into doing all this B.S.
I got Terminal Cancer, am almost beating it and have LEARNED that this is a WASTE of time!
Life is short when you realize that this is all junk and the time you stick into it.
Buy yourself a nice 4x4 Manual Diesel Ford or Dodge or Chev for that matter with low miles or rebuilt. Nope you won't get the fuel economy, but on the other hand, you'll have reliability, durability and a GREAT puller, which you won't get with a pip squeak TDI in a vehicle it was NEVER desined for. I've had many TDI's... GREAT for what they were DESIGNED FOR! Buy something off the shelf so you can work on it or something some FOOL aready wasted his time doing!

Forget about this CUSTOM waste of time headaches and go have fun with your family. Spend your time fishing, playing with them. This is a waste of your valuable life.

You only have a limited time here, don't waste it on chasing the wind.

The fact is we are all dying. Happens 150,000 times a day around this sin cursed world. But those that have ears to hear know that eternity starts now. No need to put your hope in time.

I will pray for your complete healing friend. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 19:26   #200
Motohead1
Veteran Member

ok back on topic. White/orange needed a 2 ohm resistor and I now have a VSS signal. WOOT!

No I didnt leave it that way.

Also put some rear load help shocks on.

I hope to get the cruise stalk wired up in the morning.
Old August 11th, 2017, 20:03   #201
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
The fact is we are all dying. Happens 150,000 times a day around this sin cursed world. But those that have ears to hear know that eternity starts now. No need to put your hope in time.

I will pray for your complete healing friend. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Amen.
Old August 11th, 2017, 20:06   #202
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

very nice! ... how'd you figure out it needed a resistor in series ?
Old August 11th, 2017, 21:27   #203
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
very nice! ... how'd you figure out it needed a resistor in series ?
After staring at the wire diagrams metering the white/orange signal value at idle in first gear and knowing that the dodge speedometer and all the gauges send a test pulse (seen as a gauge sweep or bump) with key on I was thinking it could be seeing a ground at pin 20/121 on power up. So I guessed putting just a small resistance there would let the cluster computer be happy with its power on test. A smaller value resister would probably work to its just the first one I tried and it was spot on so I stayed with it.
Old August 12th, 2017, 18:15   #204
Motohead1
Veteran Member

We got cruise control finally! I ended up using a 40amp 5 pin relay to simulate the VW brake switch. Took a while to figure out today as my automatic ECU needed a pin put in for the clutch switch. That was the easy part but long story short I never could get the bit in VCDS to actuate the clutch switch. I thought for sure my tune was flashed as a 5 speed but perhaps not. I used the pin2 white/tan on the dodge brake switch to run the relay and I also put it under the hood so I dont have to hear it. VW cruise stalk is upside down but the rh side gave more room and is the best location.

It works great save for one issue. When I tap the res button to add a mph or two its extremely aggressive. like 3/4 throttle instant to gain 1mph. Im wondering if this is part of the tune and it thinking its an automatic. Also I might change the resistor as the VW ecu thinks it going 15 or so mph faster. Not a problem as long as I dont hit a limiter.

Do you guys with alh swaps have this issue? Perhaps there is coding that can be added to give it a time span to achieve the requested speed?
Old August 12th, 2017, 21:21   #205
jimbote

try changing the coding to alter the pulses per mile ... change to the maximum ppm coding will allow, this should slow down the measured speed in vcds and might help the gain sensitivity on your cruise

i just realized this ^^ will only work if you're running the stock vw cluster... you're probably going to need a dakota digital converter to fine tune the ppm

Last edited by jimbote; August 13th, 2017 at 05:43.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 18:06   #206
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Thank God I have friends with a lift. Nothing like a 20min muffler install.

Finally put a muffler on this thing. Its a Magnaflow 12616. Absolutely killed any and all drone on the hwy. All you hear now is diesel rattle and a little bit of turbo spool. Its straight through so EGTs didnt go up at all. Its ready for long family trips now.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 19:48   #207
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Well went to fire up the truck this morning and had plenty of voltage but only got a solenoid click. No time to troubleshoot so I just hopped in the backup to work. On the way home I picked up a new battery as the old one is over 6 years old according to the sticker and was in the truck when I bought it. Its a serviceable unit and has been sweating for the past few months so it was on borrowed time anyway.

Slapped a group 27 deep cycle in when I got home and checked all my connections and turned the key and it fired right up but still hear the starter engaging so killed it quick but it kept on turning the motor over. I pulled the battery cable as fast as I could. Looks like the starter solenoid is stuck. Will have to get a new starter. I will add an extra heat shield when the new one goes in.
Old September 29th, 2017, 18:42   #208
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Road trip report

We took the diesel Dakota on a week long road trip to see some family in the peoples republic of new york then over to Erie PA for a wedding. A little over 2100 miles. Truck did great for the most part. Kept getting an overboost code and had to stop and reset it every now and then. Looks like tune needs to be tweaked. Also need a little more intercooler. Will work on that this winter. Bed was loaded to the rim with about 400lbs of stuff the whole time with me wife and 2 turd monsters. I did run about 40psi in the tires as we were on 99% hwy and AC was running about 60% of the time. With just over 3 tanks of fuel burned we got 28.5 to 29mpg. For the load and hills and speed i am very happy with those numbers. Just need to do the gear swap and bigger intercooler and will probably add a .5 mpg to a trip like this.

Caint believe I dont have any pics but one at a ranch visiting some friends.
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:44   #209
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Stock View Post

OEM's build for the masses. What we do is make something unique, one off. I don't want to be remembered as one of a million.... I want to be one in a million!
this^^
my pop, even dying of pancreatic cancer, spent every moment he could, out in the shop, working on his mustang or rebuilding a T5 for another mustang fan... he loved every minute and it was as heartbreaking to watch when he still had the desire but not the strength to do what he loved
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:51   #210
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
Road trip report

We took the diesel Dakota on a week long road trip to see some family in the peoples republic of new york then over to Erie PA for a wedding. A little over 2100 miles. Truck did great for the most part. Kept getting an overboost code and had to stop and reset it every now and then. Looks like tune needs to be tweaked. Also need a little more intercooler. Will work on that this winter. Bed was loaded to the rim with about 400lbs of stuff the whole time with me wife and 2 turd monsters. I did run about 40psi in the tires as we were on 99% hwy and AC was running about 60% of the time. With just over 3 tanks of fuel burned we got 28.5 to 29mpg. For the load and hills and speed i am very happy with those numbers. Just need to do the gear swap and bigger intercooler and will probably add a .5 mpg to a trip like this.

Caint believe I dont have any pics but one at a ranch visiting some friends.
very cool ... confidence building trip for sure... one thing you can do to reset limp mode without stopping is to just cycle the key, don't touch the clutch or knock it out of gear, maintain throttle position with your right foot, just simply cut the key off and right back on ... that momentary blip will clear limp mode (not the stored code) and you'll hardly skip a beat

truck looks great BTW