www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old July 25th, 2017, 17:07   #1
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Default Cptcrnchmobile 2.0 - 2004 Jetta wagon

After deciding to keep my 2014 Golf I went and decided to get married later this year. Being able to pay cash for my wedding made the buyback look real good but I wanted to stay in the TDI family. I started the search for another TDI and found my next ride here in the forum!

Came across this great little 2004 Jetta wagon that just had a 5spd swap, TB, and a bunch of other PM work performed. Car is rust free too! A good thorough detailing inside and out will have it looking like a champ. It has the typical Mkiv issues (headliner, seat bolsters, etc) and I plan on a suspension refresh later this year (it rides okay now and steering is tight but rougher roads reveal it's time for a refresh). This is my first Mkiv and I'm looking forward to getting to know this motor and performing as much work on the car as I can.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 25th, 2017 at 13:01.
Cptcrnch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:59   #2
Electrodynamic
Veteran Member

Cool purchase.

The upside down picture reminds me of those cartoons where they would dig a deep hole and pop up upside down in another country. Haha.

Previous car:
Electrodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 16:18   #3
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Polished out the headlights with great results. Not perfect but 100x better. Last week I washed, clayed, and waxed the car and it cleaned up great. New tires last week as well. Later this week the carpets will get a good shampoo and the leather will get a deep clean and condition

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 6th, 2017 at 16:21.
Old August 10th, 2017, 19:48   #4
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Spoke with Owain at Malone Tuning and the guys at New German Performance today. Between weddings, anniversary parties, and OT at work, a lot of stuff is going to be done next month. The plan is a Malone Stage 1.5 tune with dynamic EGR once I can do the logging in VCDS. The car will also be headed to NGP for a suspension and steering refresh with a Vogtland Junior Cup kit. It should remove the fender gap while still keeping it smooth and comfortable for highway cruising but still let me have some fun every once in a while. I also plan to do the 240k maintenance a bit early so I don't have to be out there in the dead of winter doing it.

As the car doesn't have a belly pan or side engine covers it's getting the Diesel Geek Panzer Plate and Full Metal Jacket treatment. The front fender liners are also pretty beat up so it's getting new liners and foam inserts. Since the roads in my area are crap and we use a ton of salt in the winter getting this squared away before the winter is high on the priority list to protect the motor and all the wiring.

That will probably be it until the start of spring and tax season. Then it's a 2.5" stainless steel turbo back exhaust and new wheels. What's on the car now is the OEM stuff that has 230k+ miles on it and it's rough. Before the hot summer temps next year I plan to do a full coolant system refresh with new radiator, intercooler, piping, hoses, etc.

And here I promised my fiancée I wouldn't put a ton of time and money into the car. Lol
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:16   #5
h4vok
Veteran Member

What did you use on the lens to make it look so good? I have seen many method to this, but I am curious what you did?

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:58   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Nice to see someone taking care of another Jetta Wagon. Some people skip the foam inserts in the fenders, they can trap moisture. I have mine in place and haven't had a problem, but if I had to buy new ones I'd probably skip it. Also look and see if the pinch welds on the rockers are bent over from someone jacking up the car incorrectly. Happens a lot, and rust can migrate into the rocker panels from the bent welds. POR-15 is your friend for that kind of damage.

And if it hasn't been replaced check the cam for wear.
Old August 11th, 2017, 15:20   #7
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4vok View Post
What did you use on the lens to make it look so good? I have seen many method to this, but I am curious what you did?
I just used the Adams Polishes headlight restoration kit and followed the directions.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...ation-kit.html

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 11th, 2017 at 15:45.
Old August 11th, 2017, 15:34   #8
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Nice to see someone taking care of another Jetta Wagon. Some people skip the foam inserts in the fenders, they can trap moisture. I have mine in place and haven't had a problem, but if I had to buy new ones I'd probably skip it. Also look and see if the pinch welds on the rockers are bent over from someone jacking up the car incorrectly. Happens a lot, and rust can migrate into the rocker panels from the bent welds. POR-15 is your friend for that kind of damage.

And if it hasn't been replaced check the cam for wear.
Thanks for the valuable insight about the foam inserts. I may put some POR-15 in that area as a preventive measure even if there's no rust as the liners will already be off and it'll be easy to access. I'll give the pinch welds a good look tomorrow!

The previous owner just had Mike at M&M Auto Cycle do the TB and the 5spd swap. Mike went over all the mechanics and the cam is good shape as is the turbo. For 235k miles the car is still in great shape.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 16th, 2017 at 14:58.
Old August 15th, 2017, 18:21   #9
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Got the windows tinted yesterday. I actually like the wheels on the car right now. I'm going to wait until the winter when the snow wheels/tires go on and have them refinished and repainted.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 16th, 2017 at 14:57.
Old August 15th, 2017, 18:33   #10
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Took the EGR valve out and gave it a good cleaning. Mainly just gummy tarry soot that came off real easy. What I could see of the intake wasn't bad - It could use a cleaning for sure but didn't look super blocked. I'll probably put off removing and cleaning the intake until next spring. As already stated above a Malone 1.5 tune with Dynamic EGR is coming soon so one good cleaning should be good for the remaining life of the car.
Old August 18th, 2017, 18:10   #11
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

So a day after cleaning the egr valve the car threw a CEL. I rechecked all my work and everything looks good. My Vagcom cable should be here tomorrow and I'll be able to scan it. It should be related to either the egr valve or the air intake since I pulled that to check the snow screen.

Also ordered a new Pioneer Bluetooth only head unit to replace the OEM cassette/cd player. Should be able to install it next Friday.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 18th, 2017 at 19:00.
Old August 20th, 2017, 12:52   #12
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Scanned the car and found a bunch of codes for the auto trans that I expected since it had the swap done. It also had a bunch of codes from the no start I had from when I had to unplug the ECU after a washing the car.

The car is still throwing a P3003 and P3005 for a High and Low output preheating of coolant but no CEL or MIL.. I've had no drivability issues so I'll drive the car to work and back (100mi round trip) and scan again and see if it cleared. It might be due to transmission swap, always be present, and not be any issue.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 13:05   #13
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Stereo got a much needed upgrade today. Really happy with the quality of everything. Connecting the radio harness to the car harness adaptor was super easy and the kit I bought to retain the steeriing wheel controls works flawlessly. I was able to hide the wires for the microphone and USB so it looks relatively factory.

I still have the trim pieces off as I want to try using Back to Black Trim Restorer on the sticky soft touch plastic. If it works well on that small piece I'll hit all the soft touch pieces.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 25th, 2017 at 13:02.
Old August 25th, 2017, 13:06   #14
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Since PA doesn't require front front plates I had no need for the license plate frame. Sadly the frame was mounted with six screws! Two of the holes were the size of quarters. Ugh - I don't have the time to go to salvage yard and trying to find one that hasn't been drilled. I'd rather have a clean front end but this is a good solution for the time being. I had a custom Euro plate made. I wanted something that looked random and wasn't stupid or childish. I went with the date of my upcoming wedding - that way I can't forget my anniversary lol.
Old August 27th, 2017, 06:52   #15
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39mpg (But I drive 80mph alot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post

I went with the date of my upcoming wedding - that way I can't forget my anniversary lol.
You Sir, will have a long and happy marriage!
2015 Golf SportWagen 400 mi
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
GIDDY_UP_GO is offline   Reply With Quote