10,000 mile Service Observations and Questions

rcrawford

I just completed the 10,000 mile oil change and rotated the tires yesterday.

I used my Pela 6000 to remove the oil but since I had the car jacked up to rotate the tires I decided to pull the drain plug to see how much oil was left in the crankcase.

I was delighted to find that only about 2 Tablespoons of oil drained out of oil pan. From now on I will just use the Pela.

In the manual it says to rotate the tire from front to back with no cross. I checked on the Michelin web site and it recommends rotating front to back and crossing back to front which is what I did. Any harm in that?

One last thing, what is the advantage to having the wheel stud and nut as one piece? It sure makes putting the wheel back on much harder. I doubt if my wife would be able to hold up the wheel and get that first stud started.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
If your tires are directional you can't cross them, research your brand but usually there is an arrow and instructions to that effect on the sidewall. If not, crossing is good.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Well, you have confirmed what I have been trying to pass along for months now, The amount of oil left in the oil cooler far exceeds the amount that doesn't get drained out of the pan..Did you also see what I noticed about the ledge in the oil cooler?

I do a 5 tire rotation on mine every 10000, I will buy taller tires and will need to replace the spare with the other 4 when ready. So I will buy 5 after about 100000 miles...Good info as well..Enjoy your car..

h8_my_Hemi

TDI
06-Jetta TDI
Mach1 said:
Well, you have confirmed what I have been trying to pass along for months now, The amount of oil left in the oil cooler far exceeds the amount that doesn't get drained out of the pan..Did you also see what I noticed about the ledge in the oil cooler?

I do a 5 tire rotation on mine every 10000, I will buy taller tires and will need to replace the spare with the other 4 when ready. So I will buy 5 after about 100000 miles...Good info as well..Enjoy your car..
5 Tires? Did you buy another aluminum rim? I havn't looked, but assume the tire in the trunk is one of those black steel jobbies. It would be sweet if it were the real deal.

Leedogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Present: 05 Passat TDI Past: 06 Jetta TDI
h8_my_Hemi said:
5 Tires? Did you buy another aluminum rim? I havn't looked, but assume the tire in the trunk is one of those black steel jobbies. It would be sweet if it were the real deal.
He has a 05.5- most of the 05.5's I looked at had hubcaps. all the 06's get the aluminum wheels I think though. and yes- our spare is a stamped steel wheel- I am just glad it is a full sized spare.:)

rcrawford

Mach1 said:

Yes I was able to get the Pela hose down into the oil cooler, more dirty oil that would not get removed by the dealer.

There is definitely a technique to using the Pela; you have to play with the hose depth to get the most out of it.

Mach1

TDI
Hose depth is KEY on the Pela. What was your opinion on the amount in the oil cooler Vs. the drained amount out of the pan??

The spare is a steel wheel just like the rest of the wheels on the car. I didn't get the optional cast wheels, so the spare matched the rest, FULL sized spare--YA!!!

Some day I will get some knock-offs and an extra cast wheel for the spare. I am going to wear out all of the tires(spare included) since I am going to upgrade my tires to a taller size, to knock the overall final drive ratio off to lower engine RPM's in search of better fuel economy.

Mach1

TDI
Lugnuts that are one piece(the lugnut and the stud, incorporated together) are becoming very common now. I would say that the manufacturing process is cheaper. Using a screwdriver/centerpunch inserted through the wheel and then into the lugnut hole and then hang it on that makes it a little easier to mount the wheel. I use a bolt with the head cut off and tappered on the grinder screwed in to the hub as a dowel pin, turn the hub where the dowel is straight up and down. Then after installing a couple lugnuts, remove the dowel pin. Makes mounting the wheels a little easier. Hope these tips help someone.