prothe-aka da parts-hans ?

enzoba79

TDI
jetta
Hello all I was just wondering if anybody purchased any suspension parts from prothe does he have okay parts since I went to my local auto parts store and it looks like they sell the same sh-- ,and they last.

thx Enzobá

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Sure they last. How long, though? And according to whom? As far as I know prothe sells garbage, better known as Chinese Replacement Auto Parts around here.

What suspension part are you talking about exactly, and what's the make?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
OMG, he has another new name. Every time his reputation spreads a little, he changes the name of his company (or starts another one). Do a search for Prothe and read all of the horror stories - then forget about buying anything important from him.

Have Fun!

Don

jake8842

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS 5spd
I would in no way support this guy or buy a da** thing from any of his company's after reading the horror storys and the junk this guy sells.

jeharrisonjr

TDI
2000 Jetta
I bought struts/shocks called stagg off ebay, from my research I believe they are made by blistien. They are in my car and have probably 500 miles on them. There tight and corner awesome. $150 with a lifetime warranty delivered.

mikesy1

TDI
2002 tdi 1.9 manual
dieselvw.com

I see a parts company now named "HANS AUTO PARTS". Uses the same format as dieselvw.com, must be same guy with new name with problem parts?? I bought a intake from them for my 02 TDI seems ok so far I also bought timing belt and rollers going to have tech take a look at the wear, I AM WORRIED. I have 180K cared for miles on my Bug and I want another 180K before I tear it down. I hope I can make it that far.:mad:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I was fortunate enough to ask on here first before I spent any money, it was a close shave.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I see a parts company now named "HANS AUTO PARTS". Uses the same format as dieselvw.com, must be same guy with new name with problem parts?? I bought a intake from them for my 02 TDI seems ok so far I also bought timing belt and rollers going to have tech take a look at the wear, I AM WORRIED. I have 180K cared for miles on my Bug and I want another 180K before I tear it down. I hope I can make it that far.
I've seen a few of their (prothe) aluminum intakes from different people, they are either good or bad, no inbetween. If it works for you now, I doubt you will have a problem with it during the lifetime of your car.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
From the stories I've read here, I'd be so worried that I would just replace the timing belt and components, NOW. You're probably ok with the intake.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I see a parts company now named "HANS AUTO PARTS". Uses the same format as dieselvw.com, must be same guy with new name with problem parts?? I bought a intake from them for my 02 TDI seems ok so far I also bought timing belt and rollers going to have tech take a look at the wear, I AM WORRIED. I have 180K cared for miles on my Bug and I want another 180K before I tear it down. I hope I can make it that far.:mad:
His junk belts are known to snap without warning. I would do the job over. Sorry.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Dude, CHUCK that timing belt, bad bad bad bad... I didn't notice that you bought that. It probably will not show wear before it breaks.

The first time I bought a TB kit it was from an ebay vendor. The large roller was throwing all its grease and squeeking within 15 mins of installation. 2 weeks later both small rollers started squeeking. Replaced all the rollers. 3 months later I was adjusting the timing on my injection pump and the belt started to shred before my eyes. Car was down for a week waiting for a timing kit from idparts.com... what a waste of money...almost was a waste of an engine.

Chuck those parts!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've used the Rothenberger (and by any other alias or D.B.A. of the day) parts in situations where failure IS an option.
Bushings, knobs, doo-dads, Coolant pipes, bushings? Sure! If (when) those break the consequential damage is minimal. His low price goes a long way.

Timing belts, brake hoses, steering parts, I'd not trust what he has to sell.