Engine overhaul, what is suggested?

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
I'll be pulling the ALH in the spring to perform a swap into a 96 Audi S6, and plan on doing a full service.

So far I'm thinking Deluxe TB kit, all seals, new head gasket, gasket match the head and intake/exhaust manifold (while checking turbo for play. Can the VNTs be rebuilt?). I just replaced all of my vacuum lines, so that's good to go. Fuel lines will be replaced on the S6 (common as they corrode). Of course all filters will be changed - no brainer...

What else should I be looking to replace while it's out and easily serviceable? I'll be checking the cams for wear, but last time I did the TB, at about 360k, they looked great.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
i would do the timing belt kit and coolant, clutch/flywheel if needed, intake maniforld cleaning, if the turbo has no shaft play and oil seals are not leaking i would just do a vnt cleaning on it and replace the oil feed line with a braided one. If you want to replace the turbo, go with a new one...i would recommend a vnt17 (make sure you get a clutch that can handle the vnt17). Change gear oil if its been 60-100k since that last gear oil change, i would replace the brake fluid, power steering fluid.

If the head gasket isnt a issue, i wouldnt replace it...