Fitted new brake light switch but now brake lights stay on !!

dmc tdi 99

TDI
golf
hey people im new hope your all good the thing is last week i was driven my golf mk 4 tdi i looked on the dash the heat start logo on the dash was flashing so i got home had a look through the manual nothing so i checked online and found out it was the brake light switch so ive changed that and now the brake lights stay on can anyone help me thanks dave

dmc tdi 99

TDI
golf
i have checked that i did mess about with the fuse box i mite have changed a fuse around would that be it does anyone have abetter lay out thing of where the fuses should be or have i fuked the switch is that why the brake lights stay on ??

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
I believe you messed up installation of switch. It is a free recall-let the dealer do it!:cool:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
blinking glow plug light can be a number of different issues, get it scanned.

and yes, you may have screwed up the installation of the switch, you should take it to the dealer (free recall).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Did it occur to anyone that the original poster may not be located in North America and not covered by a recall?

DMC,
Did you hold the pedal in the up position while installing the switch? What is the part number of the switch you installed?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
If you used any of the 1J0 switches... try pulling up on the brake pedal to set the switch. You'll hear the racheting noise.

How I know? I forgot to do it one time.