99 Jetta wont Crank

J.Clark147

TDI
1999 TDI Jetta
I have a 99 TDI Jetta. The transmission was recently replaced and it ran ok for about a day. Now the motor will not turn over. when you turn the key all the lights on the dash come on and the radio will work but it wont turn over and the power windows will not work. It is a 5 speed and you can push start it if you have the key turned on. I changed out fuse # 14 and it fixed it for a while but the fuse keeps blowing and then it wont crank and the windows quit working. I would love to hear any ideas about what might cause this. Also does anyone know what exactly does fuse #14 run? There is just a little picture of a light so i don't now why it would have anything to do with the starter/windows. Thank you.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Check the wires on the starter and battery to make certain they are tight. Are your hazard lights flashing? If so then it might be your car alarm.

J.Clark147

TDI
1999 TDI Jetta
I don't think that it is the battery or starter. The Radio and the head lights will still work even though the motor will not turn over. When I replace fuse # 14 the car will turn over and start and the windows start working but the fuse will blow again. I think it probably is in the alarm. What do yall think I should do. Can the alarm be unhooked?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
By-pass the alarm. Unplug and then loop the two thick red with blk stripe wires going into the alarm. Its a common failure item on mk3s

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If it's like a B4 its above the driver's left foot - above the fuse box.

J.Clark147

TDI
1999 TDI Jetta
I found the alarm and I took out the Red/Black wire and ran them together around the box. I left the Rest of the wires going into the box. The engine still wont turn over but now you can replace the fuse #14 without it blowing. Can anyone tell me what that might mean and what I should try next? Also the windows still wont work.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unplug the alarm

J.Clark147

TDI
1999 TDI Jetta
Just to help me clear things up, i need to know if my car is a MK III or MK IV. I just saw some pics of a guy doing this wire cross over thing and his box didn't look like mine. I hope i didnt do this for nothing. sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help.

J.Clark147

TDI
1999 TDI Jetta
Hey guys, I got it fixed. There was a short in one of the lights on the headliner. It kept blowing the fuse that the alarm was on and thats why the car wouldn't start. Thanks for all your help. There is alot of good info int the forums.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the 99 can be a mk4 or mk3. does you car have 4 wheel lugs or 5? if 4 its a mk3 if it has 5 its a mk4.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
When you pull the hood release, do you get a little handle for the second hood release, or do you have to put your hand under the hood for the second release? A4's have the little handle popping out, A3's don't.