what to do next? 1996 passat with 272,000

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
I have 272,000 miles on the passat. I have never replaced the tie rod ends or ball joints ( but there isn't an indication that it is needed). I am getting ready to put new tires on and I was just wondering what the forum thought as far as preventitive maintenance...should I just replace the tie rod ends and ball joints because its been almost 9 years and 272,000 miles, or not? I'm interested in your opinion. Thank you.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
When you have a front wheel off the ground, try to rock the wheel in various directions to feel for any looseness in the ball joint or the tie rods. (Don't confuse it with looseness that can be felt from the wheel bearings.)

If there's no sloppiness that can be felt, and the car drives straight down the road with no issues, you can just keep on going.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
well--mines got 307,591 on it now--and as far as i can see--none of them have ever been replaced--and theyre still tight--cause i checked them about 4,000 ago----and ive got new lowers on hand--jic

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
sassyrel,

307k and counting is awesome, just out of curiousity how long and how many miles have you put on the wagon?

Thanks, kirk

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
Thanks for your replies. I keep expecting something to go wrong with the passat...and it hasn't. I still get over 40 mpg and it runs great! So I'll just put new tires on and get the alignment done at the same time. Thanks again.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
bought it wrecked at 235,000--for some reason it ate two pistons at 306,000--so did pistons--in frame--and didnt touch the valves--still runs hard!!!!!now at 309,879