Need advise

Ldan

TDI
My first time using a forum, I do not no if I am at the correct area, I have a 2004 Jetta 1.9 tdi, under load " Manuel transition " especially in gear gear 4 and 5 I get a shimmy " a medium vibration " what might be the problem?
Ldan

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Right forum, wrong area, TDI 101 would be better place. This is for power enhancements.
But to answer your question, it could be suspension related. We need more information. Does it vibrate the car or just the steering wheel, does it change on braking, decelerating, accelerating, do you feel it though the brake pedal, does it change going around corners left or right, can you feel it in the shifter, when was your wheels ballanced last, how much treed is on the tires, age of the tires, put the car in reverse and lock the wheel all the way to the left and back up and try again to the right do you hear a clicking sound, are your CV boots intact, are all the bolts holing the axles tight, did you hit any big pot holes lately etc...
Could be a bad strut or shock, busted bushing on the control arm, wheel unbalanced, CV axle etc. we need more information
Highly doughty it’s the transmission, might be the mounts though, who knows. We can walk you through some testing you can do to narrow the results down to a few things.
I’m leaning to a bad suspension component or axle joint or unbalanced tire.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you mean "transmission", and mean that the steering wheel shakes, but only on acceleration, one of the most common causes is worn driveshafts, specifically the inner CV joints.

Work suspension components can also cause this.

Ldan

TDI
Tires are new, it does not shudder getting to speed in the lower gears, it only shudders at higher RPM's in fourth and fifth gear, not lower RPMS IN 4th or 5th, once up to speed and on level ground shudder stops, when pulling a hill in 5th shudder returns.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
"Shudder"

Do you feel this in the steering wheel (Shimmy)? Or in the whole car(Shudder)?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
If I had to take a stab at it I would say the dogbone engine mount is worn allowing the engine to rotate too much when it has a lot of resistance such as being in a high gear.
Supply as much info as possible so we can help you.

Palka3

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
TotallyTDI

I've been reading various forums for years. This is the first time posting a message. You guys rock! I just receive sway bar links to eliminate a "Clunking noise" I have.
Mongler98 nailed it on responding to "LDan Need Advise" post. This is why I come here. You learn so much from others that if you can't fix your problem then at least you will be educated enough to know what to tell the mechanic before they start working on it. Mongler98 has provided LDan with a checklist he can use to narrow down his potential problem.