www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 20th, 2011, 13:56   #1
tdidubbin

TDI(s): mk4 golf
Default Unitronic vs malone tuning! Need advice please!

Hi everyone, i dont post much here but i know when it comes to more HP this is the best place i can come too. I Drive a mk5 Jetta tdi PD 1.9.

My question is , which would be better for my car?

Unitronic gains alot of power and torque but doesnt deal much with diesels, im scared to have my clutch slip and have other problems occur.

Malone tuning ive heard great things about, he specializes in TDI but doesnt gain as much power nor torque but i trust more in someone who knows tdi's

Basically what i want to know is , has anyone had troubles with unitronic , or should i be safe and go with malone tuning

Thank you very much for you help
tdidubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:11   #2
bugget
Veteran Member

I was just looking at the Unitronic tuning page and I couldn't find any hard numbers on their basic tunes. There really aren't many people on this club that I know of running Unitronic at all. I found a couple of people on Vortex and NCDub with Unitronic tunes on PDs but they numbers didn't really seem that good.

So my guess is those power and torque numbers you see from Unitronic are not for diesels because if they were, and they were significantly higher than numbers from Malone tuning, from whom many people here have tunes, we would all know about Unitronic diesel tunes and you would see a lot more of them around here. So my vote would be for Malone on this one. But really the best thing you can do is contact both tuners and ask questions and see what you think for yourself.
bugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:16   #3
yamaford

theres also jeff with http://www.rocketchip.com/ nice power gains and tq gains real smart guy knows alot about the tdis.
yamaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:39   #4
VWDAVID
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf tdi
Fuel Economy: 900mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidubbin View Post
Hi everyone, i dont post much here but i know when it comes to more HP this is the best place i can come too. I Drive a mk5 Jetta tdi PD 1.9.

My question is , which would be better for my car?

Unitronic gains alot of power and torque but doesnt deal much with diesels, im scared to have my clutch slip and have other problems occur.

Malone tuning ive heard great things about, he specializes in TDI but doesnt gain as much power nor torque but i trust more in someone who knows tdi's

Basically what i want to know is , has anyone had troubles with unitronic , or should i be safe and go with malone tuning

Thank you very much for you help
I would go with who tunes more tdi's and thats malone. He will treat you well and he is usually pretty quick to get you tunes.
VWDAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:55   #5
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

x 2 for Malone, but I'm biased
Old October 20th, 2011, 15:29   #6
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

For an Mk4, you can't go wrong with either Malone, RocketChip, or TDTuning. Unitronic might be OK, but they are relative newcomers in the TDI world, so we just don't know much about their tunes.

However, as a Canadian, you might want to know that Mark Malone is also Canadian (in BC). This might influence your decision. RocketChip and TDTuning are from the US.

Have Fun!

Don
Old October 20th, 2011, 22:31   #7
flatlanded
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55ish US MPG

I vote for Mark.
Old October 20th, 2011, 23:00   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Very happy with Mark's tunes, his service, and the fact that he's a fellow Canadian, eh??!!

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 23:26   #9
SMacMac

I surveyed all of this some time ago and agree that Malone is likely your best bet!
SMacMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:06   #10
tdidubbin

TDI(s): mk4 golf

Thanks alot guys really appreciate your opinions, made my choice alot more simple, malone it is
tdidubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:29   #11
diesel-dave
Veteran Member

I have also riddin in really fast KERMA tuned PD's
2010 JSW wagon DSG loaded
2003 golf auto PP520's
diesel-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:27   #12
silverbox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway@100kph

Marc Bronsard, AKA Red Rotors is more local to you, I have not heard much from hin in quite some time, perhaps some PQ members could let you know if he is still tuning.
silverbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:16   #13
Doc_Oc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 850-1000 Km vented

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Unitronic might be OK, but they are relative newcomers in the TDI world
Just because you never heared of them it doesnt mean they are newcomers.
Unitronic is a canadian company as well. HQ in Montreal. They do mostly gassers, but they have some mean, reliable TDI maps too.

It all comes down to which one is coloser to you and has the best support. Oh, did I mention price?

I'm sorry, I have to comment again. Turbodude1, did you use their maps?

Tdidubbin: search and you will get a lot of OLD comparisons and feedback for Unitronic. I think they were doing some "wonderful" things for these cars, before most of the othere players mentioned in this thread even started doing anything for these cars.
RIP: 1999 Green Passat TDI GLX
RIP: 1999.5 Red Golf TDI

Last edited by Doc_Oc; October 21st, 2011 at 08:20.
Doc_Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:18   #14
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbox View Post
Marc Bronsard, AKA Red Rotors is more local to you, I have not heard much from hin in quite some time, perhaps some PQ members could let you know if he is still tuning.
Whereas I've never dealt with Marc, he's gotten a bit of a bad rap for not giving fast service.
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:46   #15
OmegaRenegade

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

I've driven both Malone and Unitronic tunes.

The unitronic tune was a very aggressive and a lot of fun! it wasn't refined at all just raw power under the foot! Some may say that kind of tuning is a mockery of the right way of doing things, but i can tell you that every time you step on the accelerator, you can be sure that there is a big fat smile on your face right afterwards.

The Malone tune is more refined, a linear power band and a cleaner tune. It will "feel" slower but the engine is more then likely putting out the same kind of power or just a little bit less then the unitronic. Malone's tune will be a little more reliable in terms of wear on engine parts and you can feel a little bit at ease knowing that when you romp on it that your turbo will more then likely be okay afterwards.

Both tuners have been around for a while both tuners are more then capable of tuning your stock car both tuners have a good product. If you were going anything futher then stock i would definitely recommend Malone Tuning. Anything more what you get now generally means bigger turbo and exhaust.

I ended up with Malone Tuning.

OmegaRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote