01179 - Incorrect Key Programming 2000 Jetta Please HELP

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Ok,

i'm starting my own thread on this. I've read everything on here related to the DTC code as well as google and no joy yet.

Background- I have a 2000 Jetta (Immo 2). I have the SKC and did this same procedure on my 2003 Jetta (Immo 3) and it worked perfectly.

Ok, car came with 2 keys. I needed a 3rd so i bought one from the dealer and had them cut it. Upon programming with vag-com i get the blinking IMMO-key light on the dash all the time. originally all keys worked ut the light was always on. i went ahead and programmed the new remote to work and now all 3 remote's work no problem.

I've since gone back and tried to re-learn the keys to get the damn light to stop blinking, however now when i login and query group 21, it only shows 1 key and only 1 key works. i put in 0, test, save, the read, it shows zero, type in 3, hit test, it shows 3, then save, yes, close controller.

as i try to relearn the 3 keys it will only learn one now (and its one of the original 2 that came with the car).

today i tried only telling it i wanted to have 1 key, and used the one that has been working. oddly enought the IMMO-key light now goes out when it should, but i'm down to a car with 1 key so its clearly not a good solution.

according to the dealer invoice, its 1J0-837-246-D-ROH. the key half of the remote has no part # i can see on it. it has the HAA on one end just like the other 2 keys.

the remote itself has HLO 1J0 959 753 F on it.

Here's a pic:

also just to reiterate- i started with 2 working remotes. i bought a 3rd. the first time i programmed, all 3 keys would start the car, but each key would cause the IMMO light to blink the whole time the car was running. the 2 original keys still operated the remote functions. i then programmed it so that all 3 keys would operate remote functions. right now all 3 keys will remote lock/unlock/trunk just fine.

prior to doing this i had NO stored dtc's and no IMMO problems.

I appreciate any insight that can be offered!

Here are the directions i followed:

Code:
Procedure for matching keys to vehicles with        Immobilizer in the Instrument Cluster:
      (includes many 1999+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Passat, also Audi)[LIST=1]
[*]                     [Select]
      [17 - Instruments]
             [Login - 11]
      Enter zero followed by the 4-digit SKC. 
      For example, if your SKC is 1234, enter 01234.
      [Do It!]
[*]       [Adaptation - 10] 
      Enter  21 in "Channel Number"
             [Read]
      The "Stored Value" is the number of keys currently matched.
      Enter "new value" of 0
      [Test]
             [Save]
      This clears out the old key-matchings.
      Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys        to be matched,  including any existing keys
      [Test]
             [Save]
[*]       [Done, Go Back]
             [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
      Switch ignition off and remove key
[*]              Insert next key to ignition and switch ignition on again
      The warning light for the Immobilizer will light up for ~2 seconds, then        go out
[*]       Repeat step 4 with each key until all keys have        been matched.[/LIST]

If this isn't the best section for this post please feel free to move it.

Thank you!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
After you put in the 3 and save and close the controller, are you waiting for the immobilizer light to go out, then remove that key, put in the next, turn the key to on, wait for the light to go out, repeat for the last key? The light will briefly flash when all are adapted.

Are you adapting all keys within 30 seconds?

If you have a valet key, you'll need to include that in the reprogramming too (adapt 4 keys).

In the early days you had to put "3" in as "00003". I don't know if VCDS now provides the leading zeros for you.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
i was waiting for the IMMO light to go out before removing the key and starting the process.

tell me this, assume i have key #1 in the ignition while i'm using VCDS. after i close the controller and remove key #1, do i then start with #1 and go 2,3,4,etc? OR do i start with 2,3,4, then 1? OR is key #1 automatically learned because it was the one i had in the ignition when i was running VCDS?

thanks again.

MOGolf said:
After you put in the 3 and save and close the controller, are you waiting for the immobilizer light to go out, then remove that key, put in the next, turn the key to on, wait for the light to go out, repeat for the last key? The light will briefly flash when all are adapted.

Are you adapting all keys within 30 seconds?

If you have a valet key, you'll need to include that in the reprogramming too (adapt 4 keys).

In the early days you had to put "3" in as "00003". I don't know if VCDS now provides the leading zeros for you.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Put key in and turn to the on position. Car is not running. Use VCDS to program the # of keys to adapt. Once the light goes out for #1, remove it, put in #2, turn to the on position (not start), wait for light to go out, remove, put in #3, turn to the on position, wait for light to blink (assuming 3 keys total to program. Now you can start the car with any of the keys.

ndamico

TDI
Hi,

I think you're missing my question:

tell me this, assume i have key #1 in the ignition while i'm using VCDS. after i close the controller and remove key #1, do i:

1) then start with key #1 and go key #2, key #3, key #4,etc?

OR

2) do i start with key 2,then key 3,then key 4, then key 1?

on a side note, is key #1 automatically learned because it was the one i had in the ignition when i was running VCDS? do i not need to re-learn key #1?

i'm wondering if my problem is that i'm putting the keys in potentially out of order? in my 2003 immo3 car it didn't seem to matter but maybe this immo2 car is different?

thanks again.

MOGolf said:
Put key in and turn to the on position. Car is not running. Use VCDS to program the # of keys to adapt. Once the light goes out for #1, remove it, put in #2, turn to the on position (not start), wait for light to go out, remove, put in #3, turn to the on position, wait for light to blink (assuming 3 keys total to program. Now you can start the car with any of the keys.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you read the sequence I wrote, you'd have your answer. #1 is the key you've got in the ignition and it gets programmed/recognized right there at the beginning. As you put it, "#1 automatically learned".

ndamico

TDI
gotcha. i'll try that.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
ndamico said:
Hi,

I think you're missing my question:

tell me this, assume i have key #1 in the ignition while i'm using VCDS. after i close the controller and remove key #1, do i:

1) then start with key #1 and go key #2, key #3, key #4,etc?

OR

2) do i start with key 2,then key 3,then key 4, then key 1?

on a side note, is key #1 automatically learned because it was the one i had in the ignition when i was running VCDS? do i not need to re-learn key #1?

i'm wondering if my problem is that i'm putting the keys in potentially out of order? in my 2003 immo3 car it didn't seem to matter but maybe this immo2 car is different?

thanks again.
Hopefully I an reading you wrong. IIRC you do not close the controller between keys. Put the first in let the light go out put the next key in let the light go out and so on. After all keys are programmed then close the program. Also the key numbers count down to 1 as you adapt them.

ndamico

TDI
no you're not reading me wrong. i have been doing what the directions from ross-tech said which are:

1. [Adaptation - 10]

Enter 21 in "Channel Number"
    [Read]
    Enter "new value" of 0
    [Test]
    [Save]
    Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys to be matched, including any existing keys
    [Test]
    [Save]
  2. [Done, Go Back]
  3. Insert next key to ignition and switch ignition on again
    The warning light for the Immobilizer will light up for ~2 seconds, then go out
  4. Repeat step 4 with each key until all keys have been matched.
now its entirely possible that the directions may be wrong, but it says in step 2 to close the controller, turn ignition off and remove key.

i wouldn't think leaving the controller open would do much if the key is removed from the ignition. once they is re-installed wouldn't you have to re-initialize the connection to the controller anyway?

but as i said i am at a loss so i'll consider any option!

thank you

Birdman said:
Hopefully I an reading you wrong. IIRC you do not close the controller between keys. Put the first in let the light go out put the next key in let the light go out and so on. After all keys are programmed then close the program. Also the key numbers count down to 1 as you adapt them.

dontke

TDI
GOLF TDI
Hi I actually found out that closing the controller then inserting the other keys is wrong as instructed by the directions.

Me and my brother figured out that you have to program all the keys you want to adapt before you close the controller. Make sure to do this within 30 seconds....

It says..
  1. [Adaptation - 10]

[Read]
    Enter "new value" of 0
    [Test]
    [Save]
    Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys to be matched, including any existing keys
    [Test]
    [Save]
  2. [Done, Go Back]

It is supposed to be
  1. [Adaptation - 10]

[Read]
    Enter "new value" of 0
    [Test]
    [Save]
    [Test]
    [Save]
  2. Insert next key to ignition and switch ignition on again
  3. Repeat step 4 with each key until all keys have been matched.
  4. [Done, Go Back]
I hope this helps good luck.....

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
dontke said:
Hi I actually found out that closing the controller then inserting the other keys is wrong as instructed by the directions.

Me and my brother figured out that you have to program all the keys you want to adapt before you close the controller. Make sure to do this within 30 seconds....

It says..
  1. [Adaptation - 10]

[Read]
    Enter "new value" of 0
    [Test]
    [Save]
    [Test]
    [Save]
  2. [Done, Go Back]
It is supposed to be
  1. [Adaptation - 10]

[Read]
    Enter "new value" of 0
    [Test]
    [Save]
    [Test]
    [Save]
  2. Insert next key to ignition and switch ignition on again
  3. Repeat step 4 with each key until all keys have been matched.
  4. [Done, Go Back]
I hope this helps good luck.....
No is not.The procedure from Ross-tech is correct. I have done so many keys and had no problem. You need to close controller.
NDAMICOS
problem was he was puting key No. 1 againg to ignition and it was massing up everything.

Last edited: