Anyone else impressed with Golf TDI power?

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I came from a gas guzzling Mustang GT. Sometimes I miss the V8 rumble and power. I work from home so gas mpg isn’t a huge thing but $4.20 for premium and 14mpg is a buzzkill still.

But I swear this TDI dsg will pretty much pass anything with ease and really moves when you put your foot into it. And I get double the gas mpg of my Mustang. What other car handles this well/sporty and goes like this and still gets me 34 mpg driving completely non conservatively? Pretty amazing. Oh and the $15,500 price barely used is a bargain too.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
And the handling ain't bad either! I recently had a new Corvette tailgating me at the end of an expressway that terminates in one of my favorite off ramps. I got set up, nailed it, and easily pulled away from him. When he finally passed me, in a right turn lane where I was going straight, the kid driving it gave me a wave, a thumbs up and a big smile.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Loving the power and smoothness !

I recently had a "run" with an MK6 tdi. He merged behind me and tried to keep up and I was in the mood to show what a tuned MK7 could do :)

I left him behind when I wanted to but not by a huge amount, he was trying though and eventually I slowed down to let him pass me about 90, then as soon as he was far ahead, I gunned it and he saw the mk7 grow in his rear view mirror very quickly.

I think having pretty narrow aspect high mileage tires ( 205/60/16's ) that skid easily and predictably makes for more fun driving, lots of tire squeals at lower speeds makes it feel like you're going much faster

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Yeah the handling is awesome. I chirp the tires a lot too, lol. I have a hard time believing my car has only 150hp. Feels more like 170-180. Car just never feels underpowered and is eager to go extra illegal speeds. Not that I condone that...

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
What are you all driving to achieve this power? Manual? Tuned? I have the DSG and the car feels pretty pedestrian to me... maybe I'm not flooring it enough?

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
What are you all driving to achieve this power? Manual? Tuned? I have the DSG and the car feels pretty pedestrian to me... maybe I'm not flooring it enough?
I bought used so I doubt I'm tuned. I either use the paddles or I just floor it in D. One thing I noticed is if you floor this car, it will hold the gears much better. If you're light on the throttle then it it's quick to upshift early and feel "pedestrian".

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Yeah it dont move nothing like my old BRM. I think most of the issue is in the DSG mapping cause my brm had about the same tq and hp numbers.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because of the amount of torque these engines make and the low RPMs where they make it, TDIs feel quick. But they're not. 0-60 is in the 8 second range, which is among the slowest cars available today. And because they're light and have good steering systems, they're responsive. But they come with low rolling resistance all season tires and don't have a lot of absolute grip.

I'm repeatedly impressed by how nice TDIs feel to drive despite their pedestrian performance figures. Even my '97 Passat (tune only) feels quick, and it absolutely is not.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
0-60 is in the 8 second range,
Car and Driver tested a '15 dsg at 7.8
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volkswagen-golf-tdi-diesel-dsg-test-review

which is among the slowest cars available today.
LOL. Really?
It's nearly equal or considerably faster than lots of cars 0-60 that are $20K or less.
The TDI isn't FAST but I define quick as a car that can take off from a stoplight and get to 80mph without much waiting or noticeably strain if you get on it. And the TDI does it.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Its 20-60 mph in 2nd & 3rd that feels fast and is most useful in day to day driving, I don't really care about 0-60.
If I need to pass a truck and have it in the correct gear, it happens very quickly.

6mt with a kerma stage one tune...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volkswagen-golf-tdi-diesel-dsg-test-review

LOL. Really?
It's nearly equal or considerably faster than lots of cars 0-60 that are $20K or less.
The TDI isn't FAST but I define quick as a car that can take off from a stoplight and get to 80mph without much waiting or noticeably strain if you get on it. And the TDI does it.
I don't know. A $15k Hyundai Accent is quicker. Not saying it's a nicer car to drive, but pretty much any new car out there can manage an 8 sec. 0-60. The sensation of quickness isn't going to get you past that semi on the interstate any faster, horsepower does that. Anyone buying a 2 liter tdi for the raw power could have done better.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I don't know. A $15k Hyundai Accent is quicker. Not saying it's a nicer car to drive, but pretty much any new car out there can manage an 8 sec. 0-60. The sensation of quickness isn't going to get you past that semi on the interstate any faster, horsepower does that. Anyone buying a 2 liter tdi for the raw power could have done better.
More false information. An '18 Accent Automatic does an 8.9-9.3 according to C/D and Motor Trend. Car and Driver is the one mag that tested the manual at 7.5. So my $15,500 Golf TDI dsg (w/13,800mi) is 0.3 seconds slower. But it has more torque and is a step as far as refinement, handling, comfort..etc.

I didn't buy it for raw power. I bought it for fun and efficiency on the street. I had a 700hp Mustang. It had tons of raw power but you had to basically drive it at half throttle all the time or you'd be all over the place or going to jail. What fun is that?
The TDI while no rocket, has plenty of oomph for real world driving and awesome handling to boot.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I like the way my 2015 TDI makes power... but I'm not terribly impressed with raw acceleration. However, the level of performance on offer along with 40+ MPG is pretty amazing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI

LOL. Really?
Except for the sentence in bold you're agreeing with me. Motor Trend identified the Jetta TDI and Audi A3 TDI as two of the 20 slowest cars sold that year. And these cars cost a lot more than $20K new.

TDIs feel great up to about 3000 RPM. Then the power just plateaus. Run your car up to redline and you'll find not much happens up there. The good news is that's not where most of us drive. And below 3000 RPM TDIs feel great.

This really came clear to me a few years ago when I briefly owned an NA Miata. Engine performance was the exact opposite of the TDI. The Miata made all its (meager) power between 5000 and 7000 RPM. Driving it quickly was an adjustment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
More false information. An '18 Accent Automatic does an 8.9-9.3 according to C/D and Motor Trend. Car and Driver is the one mag that tested the manual at 7.5. So my $15,500 Golf TDI dsg (w/13,800mi) is 0.3 seconds slower. But it has more torque and is a step as far as refinement, handling, comfort..etc.
I didn't buy it for raw power. I bought it for fun and efficiency on the street. I had a 700hp Mustang. It had tons of raw power but you had to basically drive it at half throttle all the time or you'd be all over the place or going to jail. What fun is that?
The TDI while no rocket, has plenty of oomph for real world driving and awesome handling to boot.
Where's the falsehood? The manual Accent is quicker than the tdi. Probably has a better warranty too. I agree that 700 hp cars are ridiculous. There really is no need for anything over 100 hp. I just don't think raving about 150 hp makes sense when pretty much everything makes that these days.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Where's the falsehood? The manual Accent is quicker than the tdi. Probably has a better warranty too. I agree that 700 hp cars are ridiculous. I just don't think raving about 150 hp makes sense when pretty much everything makes that these days.
B/c you're not comparing the same transmissions. I wanted a dsg not a manual. And an auto in an Accent is slower, WAY slower than my TDI dsg. And that auto Accent doesn't make 150hp either....
There really is no need for anything over 100 hp.
Ummmmm....ok.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B/c you're not comparing the same transmissions. I wanted a dsg not a manual. And an auto in an Accent is slower, WAY slower than my TDI dsg. And that auto Accent doesn't make 150hp either....
Ummmmm....ok.
Well, cars with a $25k+ msrp pretty much all have 150+ hp these days. 700 hp may compensate for other things, but 100 hp is adequate for 115 mph. I rarely feel the need to go that fast. Many people have managed to get around just fine in cars with far less than 100 hp .

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
but 100 hp is adequate for 115 mph. I rarely feel the need to go that fast. Many people have managed to get around just fine in cars with far less than 100 hp .
Sounds like a blast. I think 100hp is actually too much. 50hp is better.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I drove both a 100 hp Porsche 912 and a ~50hp type 1 this summer. They were definitely both a blast to scoot around in. New cars may be much more refined in comparison, but they are also a lot more boring.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Agreed they are fun to drive cars and not very fast among the comparable cars out there. But the key is fun to drive. I like to not have to rev to make torque or HP; it's always at the ready with the key being in the right RPM range (with auto obviously that is done for you) to maximize it.

I also have a mustang (not a daily), but I can totally see why you're enjoying this one. :)

Face It

TDI
2015 GSW DSG TDI S Red/Beige
It's a lot more fun to drive a slow vehicle fast, than a fast vehicle slow...

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I figured out that it's blamed to be due to faulty programming of the PCM. You can get a tune to cover this.
On the other hand I'm suspicious that the clutch setup is partially to blame. They sell performance parts that should resolve any issues there.
Research, research, research.... I looked it up because there's always a reason that one vehicle performs differently than a vehicle of similar make and model, or with more modifications that should have higher performance/output.
There's the PCM and clutch plates that can differ, or otherwise affect the performance due to setup alone. Combine these having ill setups and they compound causing more extreme power deficiencies.
Then if you're experiencing engine performance deficiencies, such as your ASV not opening completely on top of the transmission not being at peak performance due to either of the previously mentioned possibilities then this would be limp mode style power loss without limp mode causing it.
There's so much to the DSG trans setup, you will have to go through each beginning with the engine performance to ensure it's not the instigating culprit to your low power. While you're doing that message and see what the reputable tuners have to say about the software aspect and their experience, expectations, possibilities are.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
It definitely is that fastest car that is also rated 40+mpg and under $25K.basically only prius or civic hybrid. Given all factors, i consider it the best compromise and the car for me

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
Kind of?

I had a tuned MK7 R and now a Kerma tuned 2016 wagon. I drive it 99% as quickly as I did in the R and get 36 mpg instead of 18. The R is much quicker but to use the power you will come across as a lunatic on public roads.

I have to say I am impressed how quickly it can go up steep grades above 8000 feet, which is my commute. Next year when the warranty runs out I will put on a cr190 turbo.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It definitely is that fastest car that is also rated 40+mpg and under $25K.basically only prius or civic hybrid. Given all factors, i consider it the best compromise and the car for me
And the only one of the three which can tow 3000 lbs, vs maybe 500 lbs for the hybrids

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
15' GSW SEL with stage 2 Malone engine/DSG tune here.

I liked the car in his stock form, but now im in love.

It's one of the most fuel efficient/versatile/fun car i've ever had.

Last edited:

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
It's funny this topic comes up.. I feel like i need to get through 1st and 2nd quick to get any "power" which is really TQ's. My wife primarily drives a car with a manual and an LS3. When she drives the VW she revs the piss out of it and there is nothing to gain. I try and NOT point out that she's just uselessly revving it..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And the only one of the three which can tow 3000 lbs, vs maybe 500 lbs for the hybrids
I don't think any 4 cylinder VW is rated to tow 3,000 lbs. 2,000 maybe.

And the '19 Golf 1.4T will have more HP than the TDI (less torque, but peak torque is generated at similar revs if not less), and will probably get 40 MPG highway. Probably has the same tow rating, too.