2015 NMS B7 Passat Brake Pad doesn't fit

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I've ordered 2 sets of rear brake pads from 2 sources. Autozone and IDParts. Both were spec'd for the 2015 NMS/B7, but neither fit. I wrote off the Autozone ones as "Cheap knockoffs" when they didnt fit, but I'm surprised that the ID parts ones didnt fit and it made me think there was a mid-year change in Caliper sizes.

On both, the "ears" at the top of the pads were too wide to fit in the caliper.

Does anyone know if the 2015 had a mid-year change in production to a different caliper? I've seen something about a 253 mm rotor being used in earlier B7's, but the spec for my year should be a 272 mm.

Has Anyone else experienced this issue?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No issues yet but also haven't replaced anything. I'd imagine IDparts will help you out and prob be happy to correct their database system in the process.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Even though the NMS is a unique Passat for NA. I wonder if there are components such as brake pads from the B 8 which should be looked at.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
IDparts has been great. I have no issue with them. I mentioned them because they have been the source for 90% of my parts, and have had the right thing every time, so that's why it surprised me when the pads didn't fit.

I'll check tomorrow with the dealership to see if there's a VIN specific modification/change that was made after a certain production date on the 2015's. VW has been known to do that mid-year on certain things. But brake caliper tab width? I don't see the reason why they would.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Even though the NMS is a unique Passat for NA. I wonder if there are components such as brake pads from the B 8 which should be looked at.

The rear suspension of the NMS is off a Mk5, if anything it'd be older (cheaper) parts that would be compatible rather than newer parts, but just a guess. It might be rear calipers for the mk5/mk6 GTI that are on the Passat.

Even the mk5 cars had a split for rear rotor size, the parts bin is rather deep and surprised VW didn't go with the cheapest option.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I ordered a a pair today from NAPA. They wanted to know if the car was made before or after June 1 2014, so I'm thinking that's when they changed. My car was made in 11/14, so hopefully they ordered the correct pads.

I'm surprised my rear pads wore out after 60,000 miles, mostly highway.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Please see my thread. I went through something like this just recently. Let me know if you need any more info.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493521

I've ordered 2 sets of rear brake pads from 2 sources. Autozone and IDParts. Both were spec'd for the 2015 NMS/B7, but neither fit. I wrote off the Autozone ones as "Cheap knockoffs" when they didnt fit, but I'm surprised that the ID parts ones didnt fit and it made me think there was a mid-year change in Caliper sizes.

On both, the "ears" at the top of the pads were too wide to fit in the caliper.

Does anyone know if the 2015 had a mid-year change in production to a different caliper? I've seen something about a 253 mm rotor being used in earlier B7's, but the spec for my year should be a 272 mm.

Has Anyone else experienced this issue?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes, there are two different part numbers...

For vehicles manufactured up until 06/30/2014, and vehicles manufactured 07/01/2014 and later.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I just wanted to add, be careful when getting part numbers from the dealer. Mine used my VIN and still gave me the wrong pad numbers for the rear.