If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I can assure you that my time with the Alfa won't end in a court mandated buyback. My VW buyback turn-in is tomorrow at 9:30AM.
Hehehe easy there, this is Fiat Chrysler America you're talking about, not known for smart financial decisions. For all we know they could fold tomorrow and sell to some Chinese investment firm.

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5 engine

Haven't been onsite for long time and not read all these 259 pages so this may be redundant.
Purchased 2018 Accord Touring 1.5 engine. Touring is most loaded Accord.
For two years I've driven my 2013 Passat TDI SE on a given route that is about 45 miles always at same time on a Sunday morning.
Light traffic and I got 47 mpg through first 15 miles down Coast Highway through Laguna Beach and Dana point in the TDI.
This morning in the Accord I got 46.7 mpg. Mind you; I was working it. Tires inflated to sidewall limit 50 PSI, coasting etc.
Ironically, after 5 miles of 61 mph freeway the mileage dropped by two mpg.
Published mpg figures are 29 city, 35 highway and 31 combined.
Local diesel is 46 cents more than Regular gas so the Accord is actually as fuel economical in California as the TDI.
The Touring is loaded and there are zero options. MSRP $34,675. I got a $4,296 price reduction. No trade in.
Heretofore, this segment of Japan cars is said, quite rightfully, to lack soul.
One car magazine said; what reason is there to get an E Class over the all new Accord; more wood, was his own answer.
I canceled a $80,000 E Class order (21 mpg Premium) for this car and I'm happy with my decision.
I will never own another car without HUD (Heads Up Display).
A dear Air Force jet fighter pilot friend rear ended someone while distracted by his Navigation screen. Would never have happened with a HUD system.
I never look at the Nav screen or the instrument cluster. Everything needed is displayed on the HUD. e.g. present speed, posted speed limit, distance to next turn with pathway arrows, info about lane tracking, cruise control, radar following etc.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
This is the thread I should have been posting at the past few days.

I'm looking to replace our 2010 Jetta TDI with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. Going to talk to my bank today.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is the thread I should have been posting at the past few days.

I'm looking to replace our 2010 Jetta TDI with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. Going to talk to my bank today.

If you enjoyed the Jetta, you'll love the Passat, not much to ask for on the SEL other than wish they had heated steering wheel.

I would recommend a rear swaybar on the Passat to help it in the corners, we went H&R 24mm and very happy with the investment. FYI any Mk5 rear bar will work on the NMS.

Q-town Ranger

TDI
We have our buyback approved, with the actual turn-in next April. Looks like the new car will be a 2018 Mazda CX-5, diesel if it's available, and rumour has it that the diesel is still a go.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If you enjoyed the Jetta, you'll love the Passat, not much to ask for on the SEL other than wish they had heated steering wheel.

I would recommend a rear swaybar on the Passat to help it in the corners, we went H&R 24mm and very happy with the investment. FYI any Mk5 rear bar will work on the NMS.
I would really love heated car mirrors. I hate how long it takes to be able to see through them in the morning.

I have never considered a swaybar. I mainly drive on the highway, so I'm usually just going in a straight line, lol. Not sure what I could really do to the car. The only thing I'm for sure doing is tinting the windows next week, lol.

He's in Florida; guessing a heated steering wheel isn't high on his needs list ;)

I do roofing for a living and use my heated seats every time I get in that car. I will say I am disappointed in the seat heaters in this car. My 2010 Jetta TDI used to get really hot where I'd have to turn it down, but the 2015 just gets luke warm, IMO.

I guess another thing I'm disappointed in is that the rear console doesn't have a power outlet or USB ports. :(

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
We have our buyback approved, with the actual turn-in next April. Looks like the new car will be a 2018 Mazda CX-5, diesel if it's available, and rumour has it that the diesel is still a go.

How much does the CX-5 run? Can you get it in a manual?

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
How much does the CX-5 run? Can you get it in a manual?
I think the manual remains to be seen.
I think, based on what I have seen, a top of the line Grand Touring diesel CX-5 will come in at about $34-35K.
Since it has not been released yet, it is not clear if the lower end models that go for about $25K will have a diesel option.
Have been reading several reviews of the diesel CX-5 in Australia, Great Britain and other places, and it is getting rave reviews. In the review linked below, they said they were getting 41 mpg.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/102160/long-term-test-review-mazda-cx-5

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I'm shopping around, trying to find what peaks my interest. So far, not much really excites me except for maybe a GTI. There is a dealer in my area that has about 6 or so used ones for sale, very low miles, all 2016 models. The problem is they all have branded titles. They all appear to be lemons that were bought back in California for various reasons. Some reasons are as petty as check engine light and needed a new O2 sensor, others are more severe such as leaking sunroof or even engine work.

This makes me wonder if this particular generation is more prone to issues or if California just has a very easy lemon law to enforce.

No way I'd buy one of these cars because of the title status and the stupid price that doesn't even come close to matching that condition. But, I do wonder if maybe I should steer clear of the GTI's as a choice.
What do you say?

ben

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
GTIs are amazing cars overall; but I'd go to a 2017 if you can. The new model is so much nicer than the previous generation.

That sounds like a dealer trying to capitalize on cheap wholesale cars; don't think those represent the entire line.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Ended up getting a 2017 Golf Wagon with 4Motion.

Looked at the Equinox, but my wife did not like the passenger seat setup with the center console. left her too crowded.

also the Alltrack, but learned that the tires are a size of limited sources.

will be good to have the 4mo with our ski trips, and the snows and tire chains I have will fit.
We got one of these (DSG, MY2018) too as a replacement to our 2011 Jetta TDI (DSG) buyback.

The GSW has better insurance rate group than our previous TDI so our insurance premiums went down a bit after the replacement.

2017 MY Ontario insurance rate groups from Facility Assocation (we are NOT insured through FA of course): (The bigger the number, the higher premiums for that category)

2011 JETTA 2.0 TDI 4DR
AB 35
Coll 34
Comp 28
DPCD 37

2017 GOLF 1.8T 4MOTION WAGON
AB 27
Coll 32
Comp 27
DPCD 33

Our other candidnate was the MQB Tiguan (2018), but it was eliminated for being too expensive.

Fuel consumption for our GSW 4motion is in my signature which I just updated.

Last edited:

kapps

TDI
2014 Golf 6MT
My thought process:
1. Go back to MINI... crap, I didn't realize how BMW-ified they've actually become since my 2002 MCS. With a BMW price to boot. Scratch 1.
2. MX-5... Hey I sorta kinda fit (6'4") and I'd need to find a beater truck for my hobbies. Man this thing is fun to drive but after a 2nd drive, I realized it just needs an extra 1/2" of headroom and 1/2" of legroom. Scratch 2.
3. Wouldn't it be sweet to buy an Elise. I know that I actually fit in them. But then I'd need a reliable truck as well.

Well, I ended up buying a 2017 base F-150 with all the year end deals going on for $8k off MSRP. Couldn't even find a used one for the price. I'll start looking for the Elise later in the year.

Buyback scheduled for first week of February.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
As the Original Poster of this thread I am posting this post in both of my threads about "what car are you looking at" since I have finally decided and made my purchase earlier this week...

I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission. The car is rated at 22 city / 32 highway but I see some people get in the mid/upper 30s with a good amount of highway driving which is my target. I'll miss my 13-14 years of diesel driving and high miles per gallon but it's time to move on.

The MSRP with destination charge is $31,200. I was able to pay $31,000 out the door with tax, title, license, and dealer add-ons. After my buyback from VW I'll be paying 18-19k out of pocket for what has won a ton of "car of the year" or similar awards. I'm very happy with my purchase and deal I was able to make.

TwosDay

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 PD 5-Speed with the van Gogh fix, 2012 PassIt 6-Speed PLATNUM Grey (scheduled for buyback), 2013 JSW 6-Speed Platnum Grey, 2018 Chevy Equanox TD to replace '12 PassIt!
Chevy Equinox TurboDiesel for me.

After receiving the letter from Volkswagen informing me that there was no fix available for my 6-speed manual 2012 Passat I signed up for the buyback and started shopping.

The oldest son was searching for a car for his significant other at the same time. I decided to go along on this quest and we ended up at a Chevy dealer in Scottsburg, Indiana. The salesman was named Erick and he put together a great deal on a Chevy Cruze with a bunch of discounts and rebates for the kids.

I was quite impressed with Erick. I told him it was too bad that Chevy didn't have something to replace my Diesel Passat. He suggested that I look into the Chevy Equinox TD (Turbo Diesel). After a test drive, I was sold!

I am now the proud owner of a 2018 Equinox TD. Diesel fuel economy included.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission.
Years ago I tried a Honda Accord manual. I hated it because it had such a close ratio gear box. It seemed way too close to me and I was just too busy shifting to be able to enjoy driving the car. There was no comparison to the way it was to drive manual cars I had in the past or my Golf TDI. I test drove a GTI and it seemed just a bit closer than the Golf TDI, but nothing like the Honda and it was still enjoyable to drive.

Is the Accord manual still a very close ratio?

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Well, I ended up getting a 2015 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Premium Plus. Black on black. Practically mint other than having more miles than I'd prefer. Condition was too good otherwise to pass. So far loving it for the little bit I've been able to drive it. It will be driven by my wife mostly.

Hoping it turns out to be a good ownership experience in the long run. If not, oh well. Chalk it up to another learning experience.

ben

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Congratulations on your Accord purchase, inthered.

Thanks, S2000.

Amazing... I started this thread on 7/1/16 and it became like a viral thread. I also have 138,000 miles on the odometer now as opposed to 88,000.

I’m looking forward to turning the page and trying something new. I’ll miss the diesel community, the high miles per gallon, and pumping my own fuel here in jersey. :)

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Just picked up a 2013 Audi A3 2.0T gas (the last year they made the hatchback until the e-Tron came out) Premium Plus Quattro with 39,000 miles on it. Love it so far.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Just turned in the Golf this morning. A couple of weeks back got a 2014 BMW X1 sDrive with 10k mile on the clock. My driving needs now are less than before (retired), so mileage is not high priority anymore.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Just in time, another diesel

Well I've been thoroughly disgusted facing the future loss of my TDI. So much that I've mostly stayed away from here and general car news since the first of the year.
My wife had mandated we get a Ford for the replacement (only car dealer in town we are retiring to) and she wanted a mini-van so we had settled on a Ford Transit connect short wheel base wagon.
Then lo and behold - for 2019 Ford is putting a 1.5 L diesel in that vehicle as STANDARD, with gas as an OPTION!
So I got on the phone to my local Ford dealers and the third one I contacted was able to get me some info. The base MSRP is "only" $27,100. Heck the base on the 2018 gasser is $25,905.
The dealer told me there would be a wait for them, but heck I waited for months for my 2009 TDI.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
After a year, we replaced the Golf with a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4. Just took my first trip in it. About 2000 miles with an average of 24.5 mpg. Just passed 3000 miles so lots of break in time left.

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I was going to wait till end of 2018 to execute the buyback, but just came across a 2014 BMW 328d in immaculate condition with only 33K miles. So, wife and I will pick it up in two days and the buyback is scheduled for April 25th. Only using about $2500 out of pocket, plus buy back money to acquire this beautiful diesel BMW that gets 46 mpg hwy, 34 mpg city, is 5 years newer and has less than half the milage.
Thank you VW! Most imacted TDI owners are much better off now thanks to VW.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Well I've been thoroughly disgusted facing the future loss of my TDI. So much that I've mostly stayed away from here and general car news since the first of the year.
My wife had mandated we get a Ford for the replacement (only car dealer in town we are retiring to) and she wanted a mini-van so we had settled on a Ford Transit connect short wheel base wagon.
Then lo and behold - for 2019 Ford is putting a 1.5 L diesel in that vehicle as STANDARD, with gas as an OPTION!
So I got on the phone to my local Ford dealers and the third one I contacted was able to get me some info. The base MSRP is "only" $27,100. Heck the base on the 2018 gasser is $25,905.
The dealer told me there would be a wait for them, but heck I waited for months for my 2009 TDI.
I can only find one article about a 2019 Mustang diesel and it says it's a 3.0, not a 1.5. Very little information available.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This past weekend I had a moment.

Drove by the local GMC/Chevy dealership, out front was this maroon wagon.

From about 1000 feet away, I thought to myself, man that Volvo V90 looks sweet, I wonder how the GM dealer got a hold of that

From about 500 feet away I realized it wasn't a Volvo the dealer got on a trade and I actually said to the wife, "wow that Mazada 6 wagon looks nice".

As we passed it I realized it was the new Regal Tour X, impressed from the curb appeal. Still not enough to get a GM product though.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This past weekend I had a moment.
<snip>
As we passed it I realized it was the new Regal Tour X, impressed from the curb appeal. Still not enough to get a GM product though.
We will be driving the Tour X later this year, when the time comes to turn in the Passat— just because there are so very few wagons out there. Like you, I have a strong antipathy when it comes to Government Motors. I suppose i can rationalize that it's -kinda- an Opel Insignia, and it's assembled in Russelsheim, so it's "sorta" not GM....

Last edited:

specificibex

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
I bought a Subaru Crosstrek while I wait for my Tesla Model 3 with dual motors. Couldn't find anything as perfect as my A3 hatchback but the Subaru is small and pretty nimble, and is great in the snow, has ok gas mileage, and is a similar size. If Audi offered the A3 in a hatchback I probably would have bought another, but they've only got it as a sedan. I was hoping the M3 would be available before the end of the buyout period, but that's looking pretty unlikely, so I decided to get the buyout over with and find something I could live with through next winter. I think I'll like the Subaru, and will enjoy the features that will be new to me (backup camera, carplay, blind spot, etc), and I'm sure I'll love the Tesla, but until I have a sporty electric hatchback some day in the distant future, I'll never love a car as much as I loved my A3 TDI.