Rx8?

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk4, touareg 2.5, octavia 2.0 8v, boats x2
Hi everyone

Has anyone by chance completed/looked into a 4 cyl tdi swap into a mazda rx8? They are coming up more often with sick engines now. Saw mention of one on another forum but no real info. Have not looked at depth into the viability but I know older rx7 swaps have been done. Have a spare jeep ax15 adapter so was wondering if a 2wd version of this gearbox might work, likely with a rear end swap. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I did a 2jz in a RX-8 that made 743 to the wheels so anything can be done. I can tell u it will fit but there is a lot of wiring that is involved and u have to make new mounts for engine and tranny. Also the diff would need a front mount to hold it up correctly due to how it it held up originally. It also has electronic steering. Which is controlled by can bus through the stock ecu so u need to keep that and add a extra trigger wheel to the crank to make gauges and steering work correctly as well

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
There's alot that is involved in it but it definitely could be done the other issue u would come to would be the siphon system in the fuel tank. But you could use a 4 motion setup and it would probably work fine as well

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you use the stock gearbox? Would I be missing any required sensors by swapping it out?

Last edited:

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Have read about a potential 3.73 swap from an 80's mazda but would likely need much higher gears ae there any bolt in options or would I need to custom fit something else?

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I put a Ford 8.8 irs in mine. But it wasn't cheap to do they do make a kit though and no I used a 300zx transmission with a adapter plate.

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha, no issues losing the Mazda gearbox? Sounding like it might be viable could be a fun little commuter

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I didn't but I also didn't keep the stock gauges. Everything I did was custom. But there have been people swapping in lsx or 2jz as well that haven't had any issue this is just my experience honestly if u like the car I think it wouldn't be a horrible swap. Between the rotary and the Tdi there close the the same size and possibly weight