Preventative VanGogh for Big Power?

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Seeing as the "block fix" is stronger than stock, would there be any benefit to putting one on as a preventative measure? I think some of us with big power are probably more likely to break the mounting tab off, right? Is the timing system at risk if the tab fails, or is it just the inconvenience of not being able to drive it until it's fixed? $50 to prevent wiping out a performance built head seems worth it to me.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Broken_VW_Engine_Block_Fix_for_ALH_TDI_p/vg-mk4alh.htm

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
It definitely won't hurt, but the block only breaks there if the 3 bolts aren't tightened correctly.. I don't see any of the high hp 1.8T guys don't breaking their blocks there, and they have the same setup as far as the mounts go. Some of those guys are making stupid power too..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
i've only seena handful like this and re-used bolts that are over or under tightened seem to be the cause, not of my own have failed!

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i was close to doing some serious damage on my motor but it was due to my procrastination on upgrading the mounts. when the main motor mount failed it caused a domino effect and snapped every bolt off on that side of the motor. needless to say i've got this piece on their now with upgraded mounts. if you do things right i don't see a need for this, if i would have just upgraded the mounts in the 1st place would never have happened.