6 speed conversion kit

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Mostly the thread of various bolts

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
It is in and it works just like a charm. I will let Matt fill in the specifics of the install. But the kit went in the very first time,with no issues at all I saw. We took a 25 mile test drive and it felt great. Engine noise just went away in 6th.
Matt took care of several other problems with the car, all unrelated to the gear kit.

More will follow later.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
That sounds awesome. Well done.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.

It took some tricks to get the transmission in a position where I could fit all the parts, but fit they do!

I pried back the flap that hangs down from the unibody frame rail that blocks the back of the transmission for access, I also had to loosen the sub-frame/k-member to get enough space to fit everything without removing the transmission. Having to do this is specific to the B4 Passat...

In order to do this job on the car, the old 5th gear shift rail has to be cut to make it short enough to remove it via the shift tower hole on the top of the transmission. Installing the new shift rail (which has threaded extensions you install once the main piece of the rail has been installed) is a bit tricky, placing the washers and installing the E-clips through the shift tower hole. A flexible magnet is your friend. Fortunately, I didn't drop anything :D Just took my time, it took several attempts, but it's very doable.

The parts quality appears to be fantastic. The 5-6 shift rail moves around quite a lot in less than desirable directions, but the pilot bearing in the casing provided keeps it absolutely stable. Pretty clever setup and I suspect it would help keep the 5-6 shift more precise.

While I was there I installed a shift tower from a Mk4 along with the shift box/lever/cable assembly to match. That alone made a massive improvement over what John had before! Part of the old shift tower had broken and allowed the shift weight to dislodge, plus the bushing for that cable end had come out. It was extremely sloppy and difficult to find gears. Now it's incredibly precise-feeling, the way it should have been from the factory!

Even if his original shift linkage wasn't broken and working correctly, I still highly recommend changing it out for the later Mk4 style. It's easier to service and align, less failure prone and far more precise. Even when the stock B4/Mk3 linkage was new, it was rubbery and vague.

All in all, very impressed with the kit and most importantly, John seems very happy with the end result!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF

It took some tricks to get the transmission in a position where I could fit all the parts, but fit they do!
I pried back the flap that hangs down from the unibody frame rail that blocks the back of the transmission for access, I also had to loosen the sub-frame/k-member to get enough space to fit everything without removing the transmission. Having to do this is specific to the B4 Passat...

This is the part I was waiting for - I was under my B4 this weekend resealing the oil filter adapter, and looking at that metal shield made me think there would not be enough clearance to slide the new end cover on. Would you have had enough room to get the job done if the 6th gear kit fit inside the stock (shorter) end cover?

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Incidentally, I note that some of the components need to be glued, how long does the glue take to fully harden? (I.e., is it safe to drive the car immediately, or should it be left for a while to allow the glue to cure?)
For glueing and sealing we use:

1) for threads - thread locker from 3M company: LT43 (blue) and LT71 (red) - as shown in our Manual
http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/file/3M_threadlocker.pdf

2) for sealing the gearbox's cover - gasket seal from Soudal company
http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/file/Gasketseal_red.pdf

We have great experience with these products (but you can definitely use other similar products), during the assembly you don't have to wait for it to dry, then apply thread locker on the screw threads, fit the bolt, tighten and go on. Apply gasket seal to the gearbox aluminium cover, fit the shafts and screw together with the gearbox using 5 bolts M7x60.
Immediately, we continue by pouring 3 dcl gearbox oil through the hole created by unscrewing sealing plug at the front gearbox, it is not required to pour more, at removing the initial metal sheet gearbox cover it does not flow out more than 1,5 dcl oil, main oil charge remains behind bulkhead.

Last edited:

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
I took some pictures of John.Jackson9213's as he asked me to post them. Every thing was pretty good but when joining the male end of the splines to the female end there was a bur as it would not assemble properly by hand. A simple filing, cleaning and freezing/heating will eliminate the problem. Or you could use a BFH :rolleyes:
Nothing has to be heated or freezed! The splines are deliberately designed tighter with overhang, but if you process as the manual says (knocking over aluminium piece), you won't have any issues.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I like that this kit puts some bearings on the end of the shafts for support! That in itself should help strengthen 5th and 6th gear.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
This is the part I was waiting for - I was under my B4 this weekend resealing the oil filter adapter, and looking at that metal shield made me think there would not be enough clearance to slide the new end cover on. Would you have had enough room to get the job done if the 6th gear kit fit inside the stock (shorter) end cover?
With a B4, this flap has to be cut or bent out of the way to change the stock 5 th gear in the car. Not enough clearance to change the stock gear. So the anser is no.

Matt was very methodical. After he got 6th in place, I was shocked when he had the rest of the kit installed. Unfortunately, neither Matt nor I timed the install. But the kit went in first time. That tells me two things. Matt knows how to follow and UNDERSTAND instructions. Second, EuroTuning knows what they are doing with this kit.

BTW, I know I may sound like a shill. But, I paid full list price. With freight, wire transfer fee and U.S.customs fees/taxes, my cost for the conversion kit is $1750 or so. Labor is over and above, depends on your labor rate.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Noting has to be heated or freezed! The splines are deliberately designed tighter with overhang, but if you process as the manual says (knocking over aluminium piece), you won't have any issues.
Yes, exactly correct. All 3 of us tried to hand fit each and every part. The only part we could not hand fit went together just right when we followed instructions.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Speeds in different gears

About my car. I am running a CTN trans with stock, 3.157 final drive. Gears 1 to 4.are stock. My new 5th is .71 (stock is .756). New 6th is .59 (.588)
I run 185/70 x 14 tires, so my speedometer is dead on.

2k rpm in 4th is 45 mph, in 5th, 2K is 62 mph. On 6th, 2K is a true 75 mph.

With the .622.5th, I was at 72 mph. With 2K rpm.

I have no issues running on the freeway just above 1500 rpm

Last edited:

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Well, mine is ordered and the money transferred. $1715 out the door to Florida with bank wire transfer fee. I am looking forward the getting the parts and starting the job! Thanks for all the great pictures and reports Matt & John.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Short answer: no. You need to have quite a lot of room to fit the pullers onto the original 5th gear components. If you wanted to simply change out for a taller 5th gear with the trans still in the car, you'd have to at the very least pry back that flap on the B4. In order to fit the new cover on, you definitely need to lower the transmission (since the main engine and trans mounts are bolted to the sub frame, you loosen the bolts for the sub frame and lower it).

I attempted to test fit the cover before I pulled off the original 5th gear. There was no way to get it to fit without lowering the transmission some, and this was without the additional gears that need to fit into the bearings in the cover!

Once it's all assembled there is no clearance issues. I had John load the engine mounts in 1st and reverse while holding the brakes while I was under the car looking at the clearance of the new casing to the unibody. It happens that the way the engine/trans pivots on the mounts is practically centered at the top of the casing! So it never comes close to hitting the unibody (unless your trans mount is broken, it which case it might when reversing). You just can't fit the parts without somehow lowering the transmission (as I said, I used the loosen the subframe method--which will require the wheel alignment to be rechecked and adjusted afterwards).

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Had the chance on Sunday to go from sea level up to 4000 ft and back home. Also had the chance to work the new gears a little bit. Love the way the engine pulls with the new 5th and 6th gears. Had no problem keeping 70 mph all the way in 6th. That includes a 13 mile stretch of 6% climb up to 4000. I had no issues using cruise control. This conversion feels great.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Just heard from Radim. My gear-set is probably 2-3 weeks from delivery. :( They weren't expecting this amount of interest.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
My installation date is the 18th June :) Looking forward to it.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
They are aiming to send mine by the end of this week, I did order it quite a while ago but lots of issues with my bank delayed things

D bot

TDI
mk6TDigolf
This looks like a great conversion. Looking forward to hear about more experiences with it as others get them installed.

D bot

TDI
mk6TDigolf
Is that D_bot from MIVE?!
Yep! Out West with you now. How are you liking CA? Dan C mentions you now and again when we talk diesel on the phone.

You guys already know this but Matt knows his stuff! If you ever make it up to the SEA area, hit me up and well grab a cold one.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Yep! Out West with you now. How are you liking CA? Dan C mentions you now and again when we talk diesel on the phone.

You guys already know this but Matt knows his stuff! If you ever make it up to the SEA area, hit me up and well grab a cold one.
lol, he's probably talking about Whitbread! Yet another Matt :p

But yeah, if I ever get up that way I'll let ya know!

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
My kit has arrived - This time next week it should be in the process of being installed :)