www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old December 30th, 2011, 12:11   #1
BioNerd
Veteran Member

Default Why is that people think that hybrids are alternative fuel? I hate hybrids!!

To my knowledge they use gasoline, and they have a slightly better mpg rate than regular engines. They have a gigantic disposable battery, and they aren't made to last.
How many Prius you see driving around with missing lights? It seems that at least that kind of hybrid is a royal joke.
Please post info here to dissuade my ignorant network from buying an abomination.
(and If you have one, don't take offense. I'm just been funny)
BioNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:25   #2
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Because Hybrids are "PC" or "flavor of the month". My sister had a Hybrid Toyota Hylander and later traded in for a smaller Korean import. with the Korean regular gas car, she gets better millage..................

I think that it is because people are, for the most part are sheep and will buy what they think is PC.

People thinking that Hybrids are alternative fuel vehicles, I don't have a clue.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; December 30th, 2011 at 12:28.
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:26   #3
kerrige
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I think everyone on this site knows better. Hybrids aren't being done correctly just yet. Plug-ins and diesel hybrids are starting to go the right direction. TDI's are still much much better. Especially when non-hybrids are creeping on hybrid mileage aka mazda 3, Chevy Cruze, ford fiesta/focus, and some others.
kerrige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 16:33   #4
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I am with kerrige. It is a learning phase. We will come out of it with more information, and maybe a better, more efficient car. Before we get there, we may go through several generations before we have a car that is practical for the average Joe.
Old December 30th, 2011, 16:39   #5
Honeydew
Veteran Member

BioNerd- have you seen the license plates which the Commonwealth of Virginia issues for hybrids???

Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 16:40   #6
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Hybrids use electricity. That's an alternative fuel.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 16:57   #7
BioNerd
Veteran Member

They use gasoline to power/recharge a battery. That is their fuel, gasoline.
Without gasoline they couldn't move.

Regular cars do the same but they don't use the battery to move the car.
Old December 30th, 2011, 17:04   #8
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

They use both gas and elec, we both know that. The regen braking, and flattening the load cycles of the engine (both of which depends on elec) is really what makes that technology shine. Pretty good engineering, even if you (and I) don't really like the car, or the snobbery that some carry with it..

I have no problem with hybrids being classed as an alt fuel vehicle. Good technology and we need more of it. It may burn gasoline, but a whole lot less.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 17:53   #9
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think they have their place. In urban or suburban driving with lots of stops they do very well. They're great for short trips. The batteries are lasting a lot longer than manufacturers predicted.

Right now I have a five mile commute on suburban streets that I do twice a day, on average. I don't want to drive my new Golf such short distances frequently, and I know that I can carbon up the turbo on my modified wagon with a steady diet of the same use. A hybrid wouldn't be a bad option.
Old December 30th, 2011, 18:09   #10
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Hybrids have their place just as TDIs do. Different tech for different needs. TDIs are best as highway transports and Prii are better as city cars. Either way the two types represent the most fuel efficient cars in common North American usage.

I'd buy one.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 18:20   #11
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

I traded in my 05 Passat tdi for an 09 Camry Hybrid. Now I pay less per gal and get more mpg's to boot! I believe it's bigger inside too.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 20:02   #12
BioNerd
Veteran Member

I still think that, if they use gasoline as fuel, they are misclassified as alternative fuel. They have an electric motor powered by gasoline, right?

They are lower emission, fuel efficient (in some cases).

They burn regular gas to move, there is a plug in conversion that can be called alternative fuel.

Not everything that claims to be "green" is actually less impact on the environment. It takes as much if not more effort to build them. They don't seem to be built to be a "classic" in 30 years.

My verdict is that they have been marketed very well. And the philosophy behind is to build disposable cars. I hope that the research and evolution of the technology reaches a point where it makes more sense.

I love hating on hybrids.
(specially because they were allowed in the carpool lane with just the driver!)
Old December 30th, 2011, 20:05   #13
BioNerd
Veteran Member

Oh, and if the exhaust fumes are so clean, why don't they hook up the pipe to the cabin? That will save some heating energy! :P
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:10   #14
TNriverjet
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Hybrids have their place just as TDIs do. Different tech for different needs. TDIs are best as highway transports and Prii are better as city cars. Either way the two types represent the most fuel efficient cars in common North American usage.

I'd buy one.

Bill
I agree with bionerd totally. I still can't resolve myself to the benefits of a hybrid... Why do "we" (loose cultural reference used here) drive our hybrids 5-7 mins to the gym for a workout? Use a darn bicycle or jog there for a warmup! Not to mention... The larger carbon footprint for manufacturing a Prius. The single-source battery mfg plant location alone requires container ship transport to the assembly plant.

I absolutely love cruising down the highway and passing a Prius at 75 mph... knowing I'm getting better fuel efficiency!!!!
1996 Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 (sold)
TNriverjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:26   #15
JasonG
Veteran Member

A balance needs to be found.
Hybrids are a good thing, I'd love a TDI hybrid.
Gas hybrids are still burning dino oil, no way around it.
Biodiesel is the only currently available fuel (Ethenol isn't sustainable) not to burn dino oil.
Run synthetic engine oil and that only leaves the tires.