Land Rover 300tdi Radiator in a Samurai diesel

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Definitely. The Land Rover had a 2.5L diesel with more power than a VW TDI plus the radiator had to deal with a much heavier vehicle. If it'll fit in the Suzuki it'll definitely be suitable for the job cooling wise.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
I can get you some measurements when I go into work on Monday. They will be smaller because they share a space with a small intercooler but they are not really attached to the radiator in any way

diesel sammy

TDI
AHU mechanical ip Samurai
On the Samurai forums they are saying they are not enough.
There only a single pass radiator where the vw is a double pass.
There a few on there that are using the the 300tdi radiator and they are working well.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
On the Samurai forums they are saying they are not enough.
There only a single pass radiator where the vw is a double pass.
There a few on there that are using the the 300tdi radiator and they are working well.
are these guys installing older 1.6 or 1.9 idi engines ? a tdi produces less waste heat than these old lumps ... that could be the issue using a stock cooling system but i'm no samurai expert

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
I apologize I didn't. I set a reminder for myself to get that in the morning.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
are these guys installing older 1.6 or 1.9 idi engines ? a tdi produces less waste heat than these old lumps ... that could be the issue using a stock cooling system but i'm no samurai expert
The IDI stuff definitely generates a lot more heat in the coolant faster. At full load (keeping in mind there's a lot more output at full load on a TDI) I don't think their requirements are that different. If this is an off road machine that'll be working hard you'll likely be in the same ballpark for radiator needs.

Lots of rad shops can build something for you, if they really rebuild / make rads there. If they just open a box they probably can't help you.

The most budget approach would be to hit the wrecker looking for the thickest core you could fit in the measurements you have. Grab something cheap from the wrecker for mockup, get a good radiator for that application to use once you run it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

diesel sammy

TDI
This is my thought process on this.
The radiator that in it now is about 23 long and 13 tall It out of a vw 1.6 td.
The way it mounts it has a good part of the radiator sitting above the grill shell and is very easy damaged.
If the rover radiator is less than 22 wide and less than 20 inches long it will fit inside the grill shell adding more protection for the radiator plus more air flow if mounting more forward.
One of my problem is the steering gear located on the left side frame rail.
If this radiator can cool a 2.5 diesel in Africa it should have no problem cooling this engine.

diesel sammy

TDI
The other aspect of this radiator is this,
It has both inlet and outlet on the driver side like a vw,
It has a threaded hole in the top of the radiator to add coolant and be able to check it.
Another thing it has is a built in oil cooler in it. I thought the bungs were for a automatic trans. I spoke with a Rover guy yesterday and he told me those bungs were for a oil cooler.
It did not come automatic.

diesel sammy

TDI
I finally got a answer out of the distributor on the dimensions of the radiator.
Length 20.955 inches
Width 2.80 inches
Height 16.74 inches
The part is a bearmarch bp2275r
This will allow me to mounted in the grill shell and give me a little over a inch of left to right movement

diesel sammy

TDI
It is a cross flow radiator.
They cannot confirm if it is a single pass or dual pass radiator.
I bet it is though.
I order one and I am going to try it.
It was 155$ delivered

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes those are the measurements but the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides. Top left and bottom right

diesel sammy

TDI
That radiator is for the 200tdi there opposing sides 300tdi are on yhe same side from what I have seen.

Thank you for confirming the measurements for me I really appreciate it.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh yes thats right. 300tdi is on the same side. We don't do a lot of 300tdis, just 200tdi, 2.5,2.8 international and well, a bunch of ls3s that we put in defenders. If there are any other things you need me to look at, just let me know. Sometimes I get real busy but I will get back to you

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The IDI stuff definitely generates a lot more heat in the coolant faster. At full load (keeping in mind there's a lot more output at full load on a TDI) I don't think their requirements are that different.
Having owned a couple IDI cars, I can tell you their overall heat output to the coolant is much higher than a DI engine. Even with a larger aluminum radiator my Mercedes will sometimes need to kick the fans on to stay cool on the highway. IDI engines generate an incredible amount of heat in the cylinder head, no matter what operating condition.

-J

diesel sammy

TDI
That kind of what i thought that they put out more heat.
Being this radiator is for a tdi diesel and it bigger diesel it should work

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes a lot of these trucks are not that bad, takes a bit to get up to temp and I'm in Florida not to mention pushing a 5k lb brick down the road