BuyBack

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
As much as I love driving this little car, I will be opting for the BuyBack when it comes time. There is no fix that would not cripple the get up and go of this car.

Mostly I had bought the bug for a good commuter in the chance that I move back to my old house and have to commute 60+ miles one way. Since it is along a beach route this would have been bad in so many ways, but...

As my family has grown I found that my son no longer fits behind me in the bug so for a second car and not having the commute it is not a good fit.

I would never buy a gasser VW based on maintenance either. So sadly will be looking at a second Honda Pilot for the replacement. After the buyback this will be the first time without a VW in 20 years, oh well.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I am in the same spot as you. I have 38k on my Beetle. My buddy wants to sell mr his 2014 Mazda CX5 fully loaded with 9k miles for 21 grand. Thinking........

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
The timing on the buyback will be practically perfect for me. After 4 years of regular commuting 110+ miles every day, first in my TDI JSW and now my beetle, I anticipate a much shorter commute starting in october. So my 70k mile 2 year old beetle will net me $500 (not counting maintenance and fuel). That's a pretty amazing cost per mile, even including fuel and maintenance costs.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I am in the same spot as the rest of you. While I like the car and its fun to drive, there are some small design issue and concerns. Besides it doesn't fit our commute style anymore.

I think taking the buy back then just paying cash for something will be beneficial for finances. We could end up going from two car payments to none. Take a couple years to knock out some debt and build up cash reserves and go get the wife the car she "really wants". ;)

Jason

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
I think taking the buy back then just paying cash for something will be beneficial for finances. We could end up going from two car payments to none. Take a couple years to knock out some debt and build up cash reserves and go get the wife the car she "really wants". ;)

Jason
Sounds like you have been reading Dave Ramsey a little bit. I am thinking of going hard core on getting fully out of debt. No car loans, no Credit Cards, no Mortgage on the house I own...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like you have been reading Dave Ramsey a little bit. I am thinking of going hard core on getting fully out of debt. No car loans, no Credit Cards, no Mortgage on the house I own...
:D:DHeard his ads on the radio. I'm all for that, but I need the wife to commit. She talks a good game on finances, but always finds something "cute" to buy.

Jason

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
What if you don't want to have your car emissions fixed? Can you just take VW's money and just keep driving?
no, but you can have the fix done, then use some of it to get a dpf delete and malone tune done after the fact.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I understand from the process - you get your money AFTER the fix is complete. So you still have to wait until they get approval, then get an appoint to get fixed, have it verified as compliant, then you get money.

Jason

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback offers will not start until the settlement plan received final approval from U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer, which will only come after an October 18 hearing.

From the article below I expect the VW Buy Back to be between $20,627 – $23,447 for my 2013 VW Beetle Coup.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/06/heres-much-youll-receive-dirty-volkswagen-diesel/

Heck I only paided $24,500 for it, so no intent on getting it fixed (disabled).

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
so you're expecting that an article on some random website carries more weight than the actual settlement documents?

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
I have looked a the "actual" tables as well, I just liked the read...

Just found a fun tool
https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

No it is not the actual documents but it is based on the tables. And heck I thought about doing the same thing but in MS Excel. Just did not have the time.

According to the calculator I will get $22,607... Of course will have to recompute for millage and months since Sept once they officially buyback.

Last edited:

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
You don't need to use a third party calculator. The registration website is up. Claims.vwgoa.com

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool beans... Thanks
Just filled mine out $22,156.73
Bummer I have to wait until Nov 1.

I am guessing they are staggering the dates. I could choose later but not sooner.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
That's just an estimated date not an appointment
I know but I have to work out the delivery of my new vehicle by then (ish).
We are getting a second Honda Pilot, family is bigger and we need a reliable primary car. Keeping the old 2005 Pilot as the beater.

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
returned leased beetle Conv. on the 10th after 39 months and 30.5 thousand trouble free miles - shame that I at that point couldn't purchase it :-(

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Got legal paperwork in mail this weekend telling all about everything. Nothing new however. I love the fact that the community is all over this otherwise I would be like whats this??? Not to mention I may have sold the bug prior because we need a larger vehicle.
Thanks in part to this forum I am able to make an informed decision.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I got an email from my local Volkswagen TDI Settlement Ambassador. I sent a reply that I had already arranged for the Buy Back. She seemed surprised.
____
Date: Mon, Aug 29, 2016, 1:33 PM
Subject: TDI Settlement Introduction

Dear XXX

My name is Marlene and I am the Volkswagen TDI Settlement Ambassador here at Lee Volkswagen. My job is to help TDI owners in this area, navigate the TDI Settlement process-confirm eligibility, get their vehicles registered, submit documents or just answer any questions you may have.

There are many factors that determine eligibility and compensation and my goal is to make it as smooth a transition as possible. Since Lee Volkswagen is an official TDI Settlement center, I will be here on site and available to you throughout the process. So whether you're just getting started or you 've already begun the registration process on your own, please contact me to schedule an appointment to review your application and finalize the process.

Just email me directly at XXXXX and ask for Marlene.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in person!

Marlene Reidl
TDI Settlement Ambassador

Click below to stop receiving these messages.
Email Optout Link

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Why would she be surprised when her letter indicates that you might already have started the process? My dealer seems to be silent on the process, like it does not exist.