Valeo SMF clutch Diamiter

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Guys,
I have a Valeo SMF conversion clutch of my 2000 AHF which I purchased from a Velo dealer in Malta
http://www.valeoclutches.com/dynamicdata/data/VW & Audi Conv Kit.pdf

I have a few questions about this clutch.
What is the diamiter of the flywheel / clutch?
Will a SPec Stage 3 fit on this flywheel and is it any better?
What HP/Torque is this (Valeo) clutch rated for?

My Valeo clutch is slipping like there is no tomorrow with my current engine mods, will the problems be solved witht he Spec stage 3? or do I to go to something stronger?

Thanks for any help.

Pir

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
That setup is rated for 350nm so no wonder its slipping. With sintered disc it can hold something like 450nm. Or at least it wasnt slipping with 400nm and is slipping with 500+nm :D

IIRC the disc is 228mm. I'm not sure if another preasureplate would fit for it. I think your options are getting a sintered disc for your Valeo setup or getting a AHU/1Z flywheel and SRE+vr6 combo or some Spec set for it.

stevef

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi 110
Piranha, i am right in thinking that was holding up fine when you first fitted your turbo and chip, i remember asking you what clutch setup you were using,
it hasnt lasted long after your mods, bummer.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Hatemi / Steve,
It was fine with a regular file, but now I've upgraded to a much more aggressave file from aligator.
Result: 1st and 2nd are only usefull for leaving long black lines on the road
3rd gear onwards, real bad clutch slip between 2200rpm and 4200rpm, any amount of throttle within that rpm range slips the clutch like crazy

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
SRE?????

I prefer paying a bot more but have my mind at rest that it will take all I can give it, than pay a little less and have my clutch slip on me while racing!!

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Sachs Race enginering. Holds 450-500nm with organic disc and past propably past 600nm with sintered disc.

From what I have heard the Spec clutches have pretty high failure rate... I've heared of few occasions when the disc has selfdestruckted while on dyno and without even being near its max rated torque...

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Hatemi,

Oh ****, I just place an order for a Spec Stage 3 only a few hours ago.

I hope I'm not going to be unlucky.